Best original scenes from the show (TV Spoilers obviously)

Mr Smith

What does everyone think were the best ORIGINAL scenes from the show (ie, scenes that were in no way present in the book)

Here would be my shortlist:

War Stories; Robert, Barristan and Jaime (1x03)

Robert and Cersei discuss war, the realm and Lyanna Stark (1x05)

Tywin and Jaime (1x07)

Jorah tells Dany why he wants her to be queen (2x05)

Tywin and Arya discuss legacy (2x07)

Bronn and the Hound (2x09)

Margery manipulating Joffery at the sept (3x04)

Theon's confession to "the boy" (3x04)

Varys and Olenna (3x04)

Tywin and Olenna (3x06)

Roose Bolton and Walder Frey (3x10)

Feel free to mention any I've forgotten.

If I were to choose one from every season, it would be Robert and Cersei from Season 1, Tywin and Arya from Season 2, and Theon's confession from Season 3. Your turn!

Lineup scene in the pilot where the Starks greet Robert and his entourage (1x01)

Robert and Cersei's bracingly frank discussion of their marriage (1x05)

Tywin's introduction scene with Jaime (1x07)

Theon confronting Balon for giving him away (2x03)

Sansa's dinner party from Hell with Cersei (2x03)

Theon executes Rodrik (2x06)

Cersei, Olenna, Joffrey and Margaery sequence at the Sept (3x04)

Arya and Gendry's "I can be your family" scene (3x05)

Shireen volunteering to teach Davos to read (3x05)

Bran and Rickon's goodbye (3x09)

Sandor and Arya seeing RobbWind (3x10)

Pretty much everything Tyrion/Cersei (various non-book scenes in Seasons 2 and 3)

It also happens during a largely faithful adaptation of a book scene, but Talisa's death was appropriately shocking and gruesome. Mileage varies on this, but I loved it and thought it was really effective.

What does everyone think were the best ORIGINAL scenes from the show (ie, scenes that were in no way present in the book)

Shae tossing Varys's bag of diamonds to stay and protect Tyrion.

Jon telling Ygritte that he loved her before riding back home (with three arrows on his back).

Jaime and Brienne goodbye scene at Harrenhal.

Gendry meeting Stannis, bonding with Davos over Flea Bottom and finding about King Robert through Melisandre.

Shireen teaching Ser Onion Knight to read.

Gendry holding Arya to the ground when she tries to kill the Hound/Arya fighting for Gendry when the Brotherhood sold him out

Osha telling Bruni's story.

Talisa tells Robb she's pregnant.

Qyburn and the Reeds new introduction scenes.

I don't know if its my favourite, but the scene where Varys opens the box and you see the guy with the needles binding his mouth shut, my mind was BLOWN!

I was staring at the tv with my jaw dropped just unable to process that the show was continuing when I wasn't ready to move on from the surprise.

It occurs to me that there are so many scenes in the show that are technically similar to the books in that you have character X and character Y discussing the same thing they discuss in the books, but the substance of what actually happens in the TV version of the scene is so completely different that it might as well be a completely original scene. There were a lot of those in Season 3 and before: the Tyrion/Sansa pre-wedding conversation in 3x08 was theoretically from the books in that you had Tyrion talking to Sansa about their impending marriage, but the dialogue and tone were completely different (and the circumstances were such that the situation on the show was entirely different). There were also scenes that were kind of like the scenes in the books but with characters added in, substituted or taken out in a way that changed the content so substantially they might as well be original scenes: Catelyn/Roose at the RW, Blackfish and Talisa at the RW.

Davos/Gendry bonding was awesome.

So many hard to list.

Season 3.

Jaime and Brienne's scene in the tub.

Danys reveal of speaking High Valyrian really popped me.

(Different from the book , we knew she could but had been advised not to.)

(I love Dracarys in the book, but D and D added a punch to it that GRRM did not have.)

Jaime and Brienne's scene in the tub.

That scene came from the books, the only difference is that Brienne stayed with Jaime on the tub in the HBO TV series while she was standing naked in front of him until he finished the story on the books.

That and Jaime fainted because he hit his stump on the edge of the tub trying to follow her, so the scene ended with Brienne dressing him up (not with them still on the tub, like in the TV show).

Archived