No News from SDCC

Westeros

Actually, in 2011 there were eight seven people on the panel, and in 2012 there were six, and in both years GRRM was the moderator. This year it's 10 plus moderator, big difference if you ask me.

Boy! I had forgotten that, well they did it in less than an hour, yeah that's too many.

Maybe that was a calculation, it used up less than an hour, and Elvis Mitchell seems have instructions to not throw hard balls.

The audience questions may have been screened, those not soft balls those where wiffle balls!

I sometimes wonder what some of the older actors think.

Harrison Ford (for Ender's Game) looked bored (I don't think he's a media hound anyway) but he was not grumpy and gave gracious answers to a few annoying questions.

Eva Green (not an older actor) was very quite, but she has said she is shy! Amazing she is such an imposing actress on the screen. Not looking forward to 300: Rise of an Empire, and having Frank Miller wreck historical events again (and create something less interesting than the actual history!)

I didn't think we'd see Braavos either, except perhaps a CGI Titan in the distance. However this news makes me reconsider, and I heard that Maisie was rather cagey about her shooting location previously suggesting there was something significant about it.

They are not going to use Iceland for Braavos. If they do use Iceland it has to be for exterior, countryside scenes. A set visit is odd but possible I suppose. Arya does go up towards the Vale in aSoS, so Iceland could fit that.

I didn't think we'd see Braavos either,

I don't think we'll see Braavos next season.

I think that they might show Braavos next season. All Arya has left before boarding the ship is to get her Needle back and leave the hound to die. The tavern fight is not even that important because the tickler is dead and we've already seen the stabbing scene in episode 10 of season 3.

I can see them ending her storyline in season 4 with her finding the HoB&W.

I think that they might show Braavos next season. All Arya has left before boarding the ship is to get her Needle back and leave the hound to die. The tavern fight is not even that important because the tickler is dead and we've already seen the stabbing scene in episode 10 of season 3.

I can see them ending her storyline in season 4 with her finding the HoB&W.

That stabbing was moved forward from CoK , I think so a Stark could get revenge on a Frey (the other guy at Harrenhal was just some random guy as a guard).

I also think D and D waited for that kill after the RW to put a little more pop into Arya being pushed over the edge.

Remember Polliver is still alive and he's the one with Needle.

I can't see them passing up the tavern fight, it's a gem, and really puts Arya in the action, actually saving Sandor's life.

(For the time being, still a mystery about the Hound.)

Plus how can they pass up Arya taking revenge on Polliver for killing Lommy? I think I see a scene coming that is a perfect substitute for the killing the Tickler as in the book.

She wounds Polliver enough, disables one of the legs, and as he lays on his back, she puts Needle to his throat and asks him, "Can you walk?"

I think D and D will substitute some character for the Tickler , but the squire will probably be there.

Yes. That makes a lot of sense.

Normally, a show wouldn't introduce a new location at the end of a season. Just not very cost effective. They might show the Titan in the distance as she approaches it but I wouldn't expect anymore. While the end in aSoS is a perfect ending of her arc for S4 if they do choose that.

There is not a huge amount of material left for Arya in aSoS but they can easily play around with it.

Angry posts don't make you look very smart. And there was nothing insulting about my original comment.

I assure you that my reply was made in anything but anger.

I was simply replying to the fact that you didn't seem to believe there was anything symbolic in that particular deleted scene, and expressed that in what I perceived to be an insulting manner in response to my brief analysis of that scene, when there obviously was.

Perhaps you didn't mean to be insulting in your reply. And if that is the case then I apologize. But I simply felt as though the tone of your post implied otherwise.

I assure you that my reply was made in anything but anger.

I was simply replying to the fact that you didn't seem to believe there was anything symbolic in that particular deleted scene, and expressed that in what I perceived to be an insulting manner in response to my brief analysis of that scene, when there obviously was.

Perhaps you didn't mean to be insulting in your reply. And if that is the case then I apologize. But I simply felt as though the tone of your post implied otherwise.

I thought the original poster was questioning your use of the term "tremendous" to descripe the symbolism. Because Tywin catching fish is not "tremendous" symbolism at all. It's heavy-handed.

I thought the original poster was questioning your use of the term "tremendous" to descripe the symbolism. Because Tywin catching fish is not "tremendous" symbolism at all. It's heavy-handed.

It's heavy handed for readers. Not so much for viewers since I can recall 2 instances of Tully's being referred to as fish, besides the Blackfish of course, and non-Stark/Lannister heraldry seems to be mostly background.

Well seeing as Rorge has been confirmed, I assume him and Polliver will be the ones to have the run in with Arya and the Hound

But Arya does not hate those two the way she hated the Tickler in the book. Why would she even remember Rorge at this point? I suppose they will have the tavern scene, but it won't be as important as it was in the book, except for the fact that she gets her Needle back.

But Arya does not hate those two the way she hated the Tickler in the book. Why would she even remember Rorge at this point? I suppose they will have the tavern scene, but it won't be as important as it was in the book, except for the fact that she gets her Needle back.

Hmm. Polliver did kill Lommy in the TV show, so she has reason enough to hate him. (I'm sure that scene will be in the "Previously in" section before the episode begins). Never mind Needle.

Sorry, really dumb question: Didn't they merge Yunkai/Meeren??

I'm going with no on this one. Apparently they are not filming in Morocco this year, and it's expected that Split will take the role of Meereen. We get a lot of looks at Yunkai and the surrounding countryside in S3, and I don't think recreating it with a completely different-looking city and a totally different climate and surrounding terrain is going to fly. Plus they mentioned Meereen a few times in Seasons 2 and 3, a good example of the type of pipe-laying they like to do ahead of time.

More pertinently, if Dany ends up staying in Yunkai, there is absolutely nothing for her to do for a full season. Her going to Meereen gives her something to do. I suspect they're going to change it a fair bit from how it's described in the books though, to avoid it being a repeat of Yunkai.

Speculative spoiler (minor info from the end of ASoS):

(IIRC, someone suggested that Dany could have a full-on field battle with Meereen's army and defeat it instead, which could work but might be too expensive with the Wall coming up at well)

Why would she need a reason to hate him?

Her and Hound turn up at the Inn, Rorge & Polliver are there, they challenge the Hound. Get killed. She gets Needle back. Why add unnecessary depth to it?

(IIRC, someone suggested that Dany could have a full-on field battle with Meereen's army and defeat it instead, which could work but might be too expensive with the Wall coming up at well)

That's why I think they should have stayed more in line with the book and have had a (small scale) battle/skirmish with the Yunkish forces at the end of S3 and save the infiltration tactics for Meereen. An friend of mine who hasn't read the books was disappointed that the Unsullied weren't put to use after such fuss was made about them.

That's why I think they should have stayed more in line with the book and have had a (small scale) battle/skirmish with the Yunkish forces at the end of S3 and save the infiltration tactics for Meereen. An friend of mine who hasn't read the books was disappointed that the Unsullied weren't put to use after such fuss was made about them.

In the book both the battles of Yunkai and Meereen were off page, told in summary retrospect by GRRM.

GRRM did set them up, actually in the book Dany was more proactive , she set the field tactics for Yunkai and using suggestions more or less did the same thing for Meereen. George would have really made the book longer if he had of elaborated the battles. He had done more with Astapor , tho he does cut away from the action and also gives a summary of the finish, tho that worked out on the screen.

They could do the same for Meereen , readers should not be put off, but viewers may be irritated.

They may just settle for the Oznak zo Pahl duel, who will be Dany's champion I don't know. With that done the story may just have Meereen throw up it's hands and surrender. Not very convincing I know....

I have a feeling HBO is going put more money into the Battle for the Wall than any episode across 4 seasons.

HBO could open up their war chest and fund Meereen tho not at the level of Blackwater and the Wall Battle.

If you count up number of action scenes from small to large to very large , whew!, a lot could happen in season 4!

I don't know what GRRM is going to do... but breaking the siege of Meereen could be a blow out, tho where they would put that in season 5 I can't guess.

Archived