Rhaeger & Robert were cousins

Korgon The Reaver

I just assumed the "Targ" Baratheon ancestor was more distant, and less legitimate. Unless I misremember, there was nothing very explicit in the books about Roberts "Targ blood" besides a bare mention of it. Certainly no mention of "second cousins", or that Rhaegar was Roberts dads nephew. I'd be surprised if there was more than 2 sentences in the entire series alluding to this.

House Baratheon is descended in the male line from Orys Baratheon, a bastard brother of Aegon the Conqueror, and in the female line from the old Storm Kings of the Stormlands; Robert, Stannis and Renly have additional Targaryen blood from their grandmother, Rhaelle Targaryen. The relationship between the Baratheon brothers and the Targaryens is mentioned at least twice in the series. In AFFC when Maester Aemon tells Sam about Daenerys being the PTWP/AA and Jaime recalling what Rhaegar told him before he left for the Trident.

In fact, Aerys and Steffon must have been close(besides cousins), since Steffon was in charge of finding a suitable bride to Rhaegar. It's highly unlikely that Aerys would give this task to someone that he didn't trust.

Daenerys and Stannis are cousins, which raises interesting ideas about the whole Azor-Ahai and three heads of the dragon thing.

I just assumed the "Targ" Baratheon ancestor was more distant, and less legitimate. Unless I misremember, there was nothing very explicit in the books about Roberts "Targ blood" besides a bare mention of it. Certainly no mention of "second cousins", or that Rhaegar was Roberts dads nephew. I'd be surprised if there was more than 2 sentences in the entire series alluding to this.

Robert calls Rhaegar his cousin in the very first book.

Also - I've never heard Kinslaying used to refer an act of war. I forget which house had members on both sides during battle of blackwater (Fossoway?), but kinslaying seems more related to "murder" of family rather than in a real war.

Also - I've never heard Kinslaying used to refer an act of war. I forget which house had members on both sides during battle of blackwater (Fossoway?), but kinslaying seems more related to "murder" of family rather than in a real war.

Bloodraven is called a kinslayer for deaths attributed to him during a war.

Meakar Targaryen was called kinslayer by some after the events of the tourney of Ashford (trial by combat), where Baelor 'breakspear'' Targaryen died.

In fact, Aerys and Steffon must have been close(besides cousins), since Steffon was in charge of finding a suitable bride to Rhaegar. It's highly unlikely that Aerys would give this task to someone that he didn't trust.

Daenerys and Stannis are cousins, which raises interesting ideas about the whole Azor-Ahai and three heads of the dragon thing.

Absolutely. I'm sure Rhaegar would have married Steffon's daughter if he'd had one. Dany probably would have ened up with Renly. I wonder if Stwffon might have been a calming influence if he hadn't died in the shipwreak.

I think the perception of kinslaying might differ depending on whether the persons belong to the same house or not. Cousins of the same house = kinslaying, of different houses perhaps not.

I think the perception of kinslaying might differ depending on whether the persons belong to the same house or not. Cousins of the same house = kinslaying, of different houses perhaps not.

Wouldn't House Stark be piled high with it then? There is more than one mention of brother slaying brother.

Robert calls Rhaegar his cousin in the very first book.

Yes, but without any proper context or history, it's just a word. The only people who know how closely related they are, are us nerds who look at family trees on the internet. There is NOTHING in the book itself that would allow anyone to determine how closely they were related.

Yes, but without any proper context or history, it's just a word. The only people who know how closely related they are, are us nerds who look at family trees on the internet. There is NOTHING in the book itself that would allow anyone to determine how closely they were related.

Where on the net?

Yes, they are second cousins. Robert's Targ ancestry was used as the basis for his claim to the throne during RR.

No it wasn't. His ancestry was used by Ned and Jon Arryn, presumably because Ned didn't want the IT, Jon was too old, and somebody needed to rule after the Rebellion. Robert didn't care about his Targ ancestry and pretty much nobody in Westeros did either. His claim was through conquest, the same as what happened in Dance of Dragons and those were half-siblings.

Archived