from GRRM's blog: Jeyne Westerling and other characters in TWoW

AccusedSinner

Jeyne has no important role to play regarding the Starks. This was made very clear by the TV show when they chose to give the character a different name and kill her off at the RW. She may reappear in the story but it is obvious that the show made the decision it did to prevent any speculation about an heir and to prevent any speculation about Robb's wife rising to queen in the north. It was easier to kill her off then get into the whole westerling as bannerman to lannisters, tansy tea, in cahoots with tywin drama. No way the show would make that big of a decision without knowing that Robb's wife has no further role in the stark story. The producers of the show know what happens in the next two books. GRRM is a show consultant and told them in case something happens to him.

Thanks for reminding me. In that case she is most likely a minor side plot character (George said he knows the end game but some areas are fuzzy, although this was a while back) who could be replaced by another character on the show (like one of Robbs banner men or something [or Talisa's family, please forbid])

I wouldn't like it if she took up the cause as Queen in the North, but I would support it if she was sort of a rallying point for the Riverlands and remainder of the North who were scattered there. I doubt the North would take up the call either, but if she was to back someone else, well... that would be the better option in my opinion; rally then back a Stark

• 1 month later...

I have a funny feeling that the BwB might rescue her from the Lannister troops and UnCat will think she was in league with the Lannisters and kill her which would be pretty tragic, but would show how different Cat is now.

UnCat: I hear you are betrothed to Lannister vassal.

Jayne: I loved Robb and I was going to give him a son!

UnCat: But you're not pregnant.

Jayne: Mother give me a moon tea because...

UnCat: You liar! Hang her!

Jayne: But, wait, grghhuh...

I hope this will happen.

GRRM says definitly because the ones he says we will definitly see have major roles in the coming books.What role could jeyne play?Killing her mother?That isn't that big of a deal it certainly doesn't impact the game.But lets say Jeyne is pregnant and she escaped with BF then she has a major role.GRRM wouldn't mention Jeynes name if he was going to write one or two sentences about her in the books.He mentions her because we will hear about her and when we do it will be about something important.What is soo important about Jeyne other then she being pregnant?

GRRM says definitly because the ones he says we will definitly see have major roles in the coming books.What role could jeyne play?Killing her mother?That isn't that big of a deal it certainly doesn't impact the game.But lets say Jeyne is pregnant and she escaped with BF then she has a major role.GRRM wouldn't mention Jeynes name if he was going to write one or two sentences about her in the books.He mentions her because we will hear about her and when we do it will be about something important.What is soo important about Jeyne other then she being pregnant?

Dude, she's not pregnant. Accept it. And she herself does not need to be important, perhaps it's more about what she'll witness (e.g. she might be the PoV who shows us Greywater Watch or she might witness the attack on the prison convoy). Or mayhaps her support will be important (e.g. what if the BF is still worried about Jon's loyalties and she has to convince him to bring forth the news of Robb's will).

Dude, she's not pregnant. Accept it. And she herself does not need to be important, perhaps it's more about what she'll witness (e.g. she might be the PoV who shows us Greywater Watch or she might witness the attack on the prison convoy). Or mayhaps her support will be important (e.g. what if the BF is still worried about Jon's loyalties and she has to convince him to bring forth the news of Robb's will).

No new POVs said GRRM so how important is seeing Jeyne in Greywater Watch?POV has to be someone else maybe Jaime maybe Cersei but whose eyes will we see her from?Jaime is m.ia. Brienne the same Jeyne is nowhere near a POV character.

I can see Jeyne doing something to mess up Cersei. She's Maggy the Frog's great-granddaughter and probably wants revenge against the Lannisters so I think it would be fun if she played a role in Cersei's ongoing downfall.

That might happen but to do that Jeyne has to go to KL and I don't think sending Jeyne to KL would be a good idea.So again we have to somehow gather Jeyne and a POV character togather to see her in something important.But just her being pregnant makes her important to mention.(I don't believe in Jeyne could be pregnant GRRM said he wrote those hips comments wrong but the only theory that came to my mind is this.)

No new POVs said GRRM so how important is seeing Jeyne in Greywater Watch?POV has to be someone else maybe Jaime maybe Cersei but whose eyes will we see her from?Jaime is m.ia. Brienne the same Jeyne is nowhere near a POV character.

What GRRM meant was that we weren't going to get any JonCon style POV's anymore (a character that is introduced for the first time and in the same book gets his own PoV). A BF, Jeyne Westerling, etc. PoV is still possible since they were introduced in previous books.

We will have eyes in Greywater Watch. Someone has to show us what the BF is doing there. And HR, Robbs will and a lot of other interesting things are hidden in the bogs.

What GRRM meant was that we weren't going to get any JonCon style POV's anymore (a character that is introduced for the first time and in the same book gets his own PoV). A BF, Jeyne Westerling, etc. PoV is still possible since they were introduced in previous books.

We will have eyes in Greywater Watch. Someone has to show us what the BF is doing there. And HR, Robbs will and a lot of other interesting things are hidden in the bogs.

But I thoguht GRRM wasn't going to show us Howland Reed.GRRM said HR was like a walking spoiler board.(not that exact wording of course)Are you sure we will get new POVs from the characters that had no POVs before?

But I thoguht GRRM wasn't going to show us Howland Reed.GRRM said HR was like a walking spoiler board.(not that exact wording of course)Are you sure we will get new POVs from the characters that had no POVs before?

Well, Howland Reed would be like a walking spoiler board, but probably necessary in some cases. GRRM might not finish the story without adding new people to explain points or provide insight to certain events

Well, Howland Reed would be like a walking spoiler board, but probably necessary in some cases. GRRM might not finish the story without adding new people to explain points or provide insight to certain events

That is true but HR has information about everything, the man is like a walking library he is a green man, he knows about Harrenhal, TOJ , he knows Starks past, he knows the Old Gods he probably knows about Robbs will also he probably knows about Rickon and Bran.Imagine a scene with this guy.After one chapter with Howland we will learn everything and then it will be just fighting scenes for the rest of the books I mean with HR there won't be any secrets.

That is true but HR has information about everything, the man is like a walking library he is a green man, he knows about Harrenhal, TOJ , he knows Starks past, he knows the Old Gods he probably knows about Robbs will also he probably knows about Rickon and Bran.Imagine a scene with this guy.After one chapter with Howland we will learn everything and then it will be just fighting scenes for the rest of the books I mean with HR there won't be any secrets.

Depends how GRRM plays it. He could easily use Howland for Robb's will and Greywater Watch for some retribution by Northern loyalists while Bran plays out the rest.

That might happen but to do that Jeyne has to go to KL and I don't think sending Jeyne to KL would be a good idea.

Not necessarily. Cersei could end up at Casterly Rock, Jeyne is headed to the Crag which is not far away. With just a little more shuffling around, one could end up running into the other.

HR will never get a PoV. Because he wasn't physically introduced in ADWD. We'll witness HR from a BF or Jeyne PoV in the Neck.

A pretty random thought occurred to me the other day. I know it's pretty taboo to take things from the show and apply them to the books when concocting fan theories. I know in the show Robb's wife gets killed at the Red Wedding. My crazy theory connects her character to the "Hooded Man" that Theon encounters in Dance. Talisa in the show describes to Robb how her brother almost drowned once, and that's why she decided to be a nurse and get away from a society that uses slavery. Could it be possible that her brother came to Westeros also.

I'm grasping at extremely vague straws but I thought that if they want to use the Hooded Man in the show, he could be Talisa's brother. In the books, Jeyne Westerling's brother Reynald is assumed dead because he is shot by crossbows and threw himself off a bridge into a river. Theoretically if they incorporate his ability to apparently withstand drowning once he could do it again. Although the identity of Robb's wife is different in the show, she could still have a brother that joins Robb's army. If this is stupid I'm sorry. Just a contribution to the other crackpots out there.

Archived