Soccer XLVI: The Rumour Mill Keeps Spinning

Renasko

Trick question: the answer is "yes."

(if you're to believe some of the conspiracy theorists -- who are suspiciously obsessed with racial purity -- we have kicking around the country.)

I was kind of alluding to a lot of the "This country is going to shit" type posts you might see in the US Politics threads. They are funny.

:rolleyes: Because they turned out to be such horrible hosts...

what makes you think brazil won't be too?

on paper, they are in no worse position then south africa was a year before the tournament they hosted.

Haha, my apologies. When I'm feeling particularly down I like to look in there to remind myself that things could be so much worse.

:lol: You and me both.

It's very unlikely that I'll make it to Brazil in 2014 (going to England that August, and a potential trip to Aus-NZ for the cricket WC in early 2015), and I'm not at all interested in going to Qatar. Russia is a possibility, though.

Who is the front-runner for the 2026 bid? Anyone have a clue?

hey now, vuvuzela's aside, south africa was actually a really good host nation.

they were a good host nation, but they have high crime rates the same as brazil.

here's what google came up with for me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

for example, republic of south africa has 50% higher murder rate than brazil and i don't remember anyone getting in a fuss abuot that.

for example, republic of south africa has 50% higher murder rate than brazil and i don't remember anyone getting in a fuss abuot that.

You don't?

http://www.eturbonew...-world-cup-fans

http://www.csmonitor...Cup-safe-so-far

http://edition.cnn.c...ca.survey.2010/

I recall numerous discussions about it at the time.

ETA - including on this very board...

If Qatar ends up not being able to host (which is possible, all of the glorious amazing air-conditioned stadiums they promised FIFA they would build are starting to look like a pipe dream), then the US, UK, and Germany are FIFA's automatic back-plans as nations that would be able to host on short notice.

I doubt they're actually going to take it off Qatar and admit they made mistake, they'll probably just go through with it being rubbish. Even if they did take it off Qatar I'm not sure the US, UK or Germany would be top of the list as replacements, the US and Germany are really too close to their last World Cups to have another and the FA isn't exactly popular with FIFA.

I doubt they're actually going to take it off Qatar and admit they made mistake, they'll probably just go through with it being rubbish. Even if they did take it off Qatar I'm not sure the US, UK or Germany would be top of the list as replacements, the US and Germany are really too close to their last World Cups to have another and the FA isn't exactly popular with FIFA.

Given enough time I'm sure they'd send it elsewhere. US, UK, and Germany are actually FIFA's official backups in case of an emergency change of venue.

But you're right, they'll probably just let it be shit instead of moving it.

Given enough time I'm sure they'd send it elsewhere. US, UK, and Germany are actually FIFA's official backups in case of an emergency change of venue.

Ah, fair enough. What constitutes an 'emergency' change of venue though? If you're talking a few months the number of countries that could do it would probably be a fairly short list. Given a bit more time, while you wouldn't have all the flash new stadia which usually comes with a World Cup, the list would probably be a bit longer.

I think emergency constitutes stuff like stadium not being built, mass populist uprising (Brazil 2014!!), natural disaster, the host country refusing to exempt Fifa from the rule of law etc.

Tormund is right on this though, the list of country's that could host perhaps the biggest international event in the world at a couple of months notice is basically the UK, USA and Germany. Add Japan/Korea and France to that list maybe. I would say Russia, but let's see how their effort goes first...

Add Japan/Korea and France to that list maybe. I would say Russia, but let's see how their effort goes first...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe Spain and Italy as well. I think it'd be more the capacity of the transport network being up to it on short notice rather than just having the required big stadiums to actually host the tournament.

The transport is the biggest issue, along with hotels etc.

Spain - They have enough trouble organising their fixture list every season, let alone a world cup in a month. Add in the shambolic state of their finance and I'm not sure its a goer...

Italy - not really convinced they could do it at short notice. They've got the stadiums and the football culture. They also have some pretty intense racism issues eh

Archived