Atheist kids these days...

thistlepong

I wouldn't "raise my kid to be an atheist". I would raise my child to be skeptical of bullshit claims (especially religion), question everything and develop critical thinking skills. I wouldn't attempt to instill my position on anything in them (including whether or not there is a God). I consider indoctrination of children into religion to be one of the most abhorrent, immoral and scumfuck things anyone could ever do.

Same thing really.

Many of you seemed to have some religion in your family, like Christian parents, but weren't forced into religion. I think that's different from me. Parents no religion, I have no religion. Perfectly fine moral core and values, not crazy and quite law abiding. It's funny when the dark alley analogy is made about wanting to meet a religious person there when so few atheists go to prison.

I think the main thing is religion was never brought up so it never infiltrated my mind. Made learning the basics about baptism, the holy trinity, and whatever harder but it was fine. Something that always intrigued me is how absorbing and time wasting it is to be a hardcore religious person. As in not just spending time on Sundays, but weekdays and nights too.

I was fascinated about learning the basics just as a literary endeavor, which made it more interesting to me. Also weird how many people are insanely militant about it not being taught in public school, even strictly as a textbook. No, no, no, don't allow it at all. Okay ... :dunno:

edit: oh, I understand what you're saying. I thought TM was just agreeing with me but maybe not..

It was kind of a joke, basically saying that if you raise your kid to be skeptical and think critically than they're going to be atheist by default. So raising a kid as you said to is raising them atheist.

Like 95% of Swedes, I had a very secular upbringing. Atheism just came naturally. The fact that atheism always has been the "normal" option in my surroundings have led me to despise this "atheist activism" that certain Americans and Brits engage in (like Richard Dawkins, Ricky Gervais, Bill Maher etc.). They're always shoving their propaganda down people's throat and can't for a minute accept that certain people find inner peace and strength and what not through their religion. I hate that almost as much as I hate religious bigotry.

I don't like it either. In the states where there's an oppressive amount of religion, I understand they're "fighting the good fight." But really, they're doing it wrong. Being an atheist means you get to relax and not worry about it. No sermons, no Sunday reminders to re-indoctrinate you. The way I always took it was that your mind/body/soul/whatever is dropping hints if atheists don't need regular reminders to be atheists, while religious people spend lots of time telling themselves they believe or they'll "lose their faith." Kinda difficult to lose faith in atheism when it's based on rationality, logic, and science. And the whole point is if we figure out new shit that's better, great, let's throw out the old shit. Who fucking cares. Fuck you, Pluto, because Neil Degrasse Tyson, that's why.

But I do find myself running in weird circles. Was friends with a Michigan girl who gets mad about that "evolution crap." Same with hardcore Baptists. And I've learned that liberals who claim to be tolerant really aren't. Just introduce fundamentalists into the picture and they get hopping mad. They need to learn that being tolerant means being polite; you don't have to love them, just tolerate them. Also was friends with some well meaning Christians who prayed for me. I always found it nice, even if I didn't believe.

But I do find myself running in weird circles. Was friends with a Michigan girl who gets mad about that "evolution crap." Same with hardcore Baptists. And I've learned that liberals who claim to be tolerant really aren't. Just introduce fundamentalists into the picture and they get hopping mad. They need to learn that being tolerant means being polite; you don't have to love them, just tolerate them. Also was friends with some well meaning Christians who prayed for me. I always found it nice, even if I didn't believe.

I agree with you, but I can also understand why some atheists find it difficult to be tolerant with some fundamentalists. It's not always easy to stay calm when faced with someone who quite seriously believes, and in some rare cases seems to be pleased by, the thought that you are going to spend an eternity in torment. Obviously these people are the exception and you should still try to be the bigger person, but it can be hard.

Nobody in our family s religious, except my grandmother who goes to church on Sundays, but I really did not think all that much about what "going to church" really means as a child - I had some idea what happens there because we went with her on Easter, but it did not mean a lot to me, as far as I remember.

The family did not learn me any Catholic views and I was not baptised (one of the things I am most grateful to my parents for). I liked to read Greek stories, but they were basically just stories to me, and the idea that people actually used to believe in those gods did not come close to me. I kind of picked up different Bible stories (I remember my aunt reading from the Bible once, but I pretty much thought of it as "just stories" and only later realised what the book was, and maybe I saw pictures and heard stories from different sources, honestly I do not know where I learned about most), but found them to be illogical very early, so it was always a question how could anybody believe in them. The first illogical thing was always: Adam and Eve were the first people, then they had two kids, one of which killed the other, so then they were three people, and then ... what? The next story tells about the whole nation already, how did the whole humankind develop just from three people?

On the other hand, I visited a lot of religious buildings from the perspective of culture/history/art history and I still like doing that - those buildings are amazing! From the same reason, I like to see the religious sculptures and books, because they influenced the world we live in and because they are just beautiful to look at. Also, the religious texts are some of the first ones that were written and are preserved, so I have to read them to understand the evolution of language. ;)

I am curious though, for the people who were raised in a household where religion was just totally non-existent, what did you believe while growing up in regards to like, what happens after you die? Surely most kids must ask their parents that question when they're little at least once?

My grandfather died when I was 5 and I mostly just remember that they said he left because he died and will not be coming back. Not sure if there were any additional explanations. They say I accepted it without any problems.

<snip>

Excellent post. Thank you for sharing.

Was friends with a Michigan girl who gets mad about that "evolution crap." Same with hardcore Baptists. And I've learned that liberals who claim to be tolerant really aren't. Just introduce fundamentalists into the picture and they get hopping mad. They need to learn that being tolerant means being polite; you don't have to love them, just tolerate them.

I absolutely don't mind that fundamentalists believe what they do, it's just when people want to give it equal time with evolution being taught in schools that I kind of see red. I would have no problem with religion classes being taught in public schools in the right context - comparative religion, world religions, etc. I actually think it would be a good idea. Usually, though, it is brought up in comparison with evolution, which is taught in science classes. Creationism, Intelligent Design whatever is not science and should not be taught in this context.

I remember studying evolution for the first time and other theories were mentioned - creationism and alien seeding to be specific. The teacher spent one class giving a broad overview and told us that if we wanted more info on those, he would help us find resources, but this was a science class and we would be studying the subject through that lens. I have zero problem with it religion being brought up, but we need to keep a clear divide between faith and science and explain why certain things are taught and others not.

So yeah - when there are still people wanting ID taught alongside evolution, then it's a fight that needs to happen.

I don't like it either. In the states where there's an oppressive amount of religion, I understand they're "fighting the good fight." But really, they're doing it wrong. Being an atheist means you get to relax and not worry about it.
So...when someone is faced with "oppressive" (your words here) religion and chooses not to be quiet your natural response is to dislike that person because they worry about the effect it's having on them and don't just take a "fuck it" attitude like you?
I absolutely don't mind that fundamentalists believe what they do, it's just when people want to give it equal time with evolution being taught in schools that I kind of see red.
Y U Mad though? Being an atheist means you get to relax and not worry about it right?

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I would be interested to hear how people came about to lose the faith they were brought up in. I remember my thought process pretty clearly. It went something like this: Every religion seems to think it has the correct answer. However, there doesnt seem to be anything special about any one religion that would elevate it above others. I don't see a reason god would reveal himself to Hindus over say Christians (why not do it at the same time to everyone rather than in a specific geographic location at a specific time). No religion is special, so all religions are similarly incorrect.

At least, that was it in the 7th grade. Since then I've refined my thought process some.

Although I was raised religeous (protestant) I remember it very well when it started to make no sense to me. Since I lived in a catholic region and my parents wanted me to go to a christian school instead of a public school, I went to a catholic school. There a priest would teach us about religion. I was 7 and the children were preparing themselves for the 'holy commune' and the priest told a story about Jews being gods people. Those of you who know me and know were I live can probably understand why I was like: "What!? why are they the special children? And what are we? The evil steph children?". The next phase was my dad telling me stories from the Bible. He wanted to teach/enlighten/introduce me to faith but just alienated me from religion because I noticed some illogical stuff (Genesis, Noah Arc etc). From this point on I was more hopefull than faithfull but in hindsight, God was just another Santa Claus to me.

Now I answer all my childrens questions about religion without pushing an anti religeous agenda. Knowlegde is king for me and I think by answering their questions (if they have any) I will protect them from organisized religion until they are old enough to make their own dissisions.

Y U Mad though? Being an atheist means you get to relax and not worry about it right?

Maybe it's just me, but I think being an athiest in the States actually carries quite a lot of burden. To declare one's disbelief in God openly is almost as bad as bad mouthing apple pie.

Maybe it's just me, but I think being an athiest in the States actually carries quite a lot of burden. To declare one's disbelief in God openly is almost as bad as bad mouthing apple pie.

This. And coupled with things like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge_strategy. As the cynihilopatheist that I am, I find stuff like that extremely worrisome. It all depends on wording but I see that kind of crap as a declaration of war against people who want to make up their own minds.

This. And coupled with things like this http://en.wikipedia..../Wedge_strategy. As the cynihilopatheist that I am, I find stuff like that extremely worrisome. It all depends on wording but I see that kind of crap as a declaration of war against people who want to make up their own minds.

What the fuck is a "cynihilopatheist"...?

This. And coupled with things like this http://en.wikipedia..../Wedge_strategy. As the cynihilopatheist that I am, I find stuff like that extremely worrisome. It all depends on wording but I see that kind of crap as a declaration of war against people who want to make up their own minds.

Please, this is just militant liberal atheists trying to play the victim as they act all intolerant and try to take away religion from people who need it for comfort. They should just, like... chill man :rolleyes:

What the fuck is a "cynihilopatheist"...?

I'm cynical towards human nature. I have some nihilistic views when it comes to the place of humans in the grand scheme of things. I don't believe in any supernatural stuff whatsoever and I can't be bothered about vehemently denying this, hence apathetic.

I win a lot at scrabble.

Please, this is just militant liberal atheists trying to play the victim as they act all intolerant and try to take away religion from people who need it for comfort. They should just, like... chill man :rolleyes:

Not even close for a sigar. Taking religion away from people? Of course not. People have a right to believe what they want. Shoving religion through one's throat by claiming it 'science' is something alltogether different and a serious violation of one of the founding principles of the United States, namely the separation of church and state.

Mum and Dad are Anglican. They go to church every week. Dad had been brought up Jewish, but converted to Anglican when they married.

When i was about 9 I went to Dad and said I didn't want to go to church any more. I didn't like that I was doing what they were doing, without any meaning in it for me. I told him I felt like I was "making mock" of it. I didn't have to go any more. My mum was not impressed!

When I was 6 i used to get thumped in the back by the teacher for using my left hand, she said left handedness was the sign of the devil. I never thought about it before, but there is probably a connection.

We have let the kids make up their own minds about religion.

I'm cynical towards human nature. I have some nihilistic views when it comes to the place of humans in the grand scheme of things. I don't believe in any supernatural stuff whatsoever and I can't be bothored about vehemently denying this, hence apathetic.

So this is something you just made up right..?

Not even close for a sigar. Taking religion away from people? Of course not. People have a right to believe what they want. Shoving religion through one's throat by claiming it 'science' is something alltogether different and a serious violation of one of the founding principles of the United States, namely the separation of church and state.

Did you really miss my point? Because I don't know if I could be more sarcastic if I tried. :rolleyes: For the record: I find those arguments silly.

Archived