Sell me your local neighborhood cuisine

Sci-2

Yeah, I don't live there anymore either but that's one place I really miss. Did you ever go to Cha Ba Thai on NE Sandy Blvd? Everything there was great, but their Yom Nuar was/(is?) a heavenly taste of spicy freshness.

YOM NUAR chilli.gif
Grilled beef with tomatoes, cucumber, shallots, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, mint leaves, ground roasted rice, fresh lettuce, and a touch of spicy lime juice.

@MC - are you still in the Specific Northwest?

These are irrelevant for everyone:

If you ever find yourself in Lynchburg, Virginia go to a place called the Texas Inn, locally known as the T-Room. Ignore the tell-tale signs of an establishment that would be lucky to get a health grade 'D'. Order a Cheesy Western and a bowl of chili. Enjoy.

If you are ever heading down Route 29 South from Washington DC (but north of Charlottesville) you will eventually come to a town called Madison where there is a restaurant called the Pig & Steak. Get the pulled pork platter. Enjoy.

If you ever find yourself in a town called Glen Dale, West Virginia, first prostrate yourself before the glory that is the birthplace of the boards resident otter, but then go to a place called DiCarlos Pizza. I seem to be the only person on the planet that doesn't like it very much. So try your luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read the entire thread Sci. Has anyone talked about Yaka-mein? It's made in corner stores in New Orleans and it is a bizarre local (not regional) soup. Yaka-mein is a soup made with meat stock, brisket or other chopped beef, spaghetti noodles and green onions. It is topped with hard boiled eggs that are halved. It is delicious. Occasionally it contains other vegetables. Yummy. It is also a mystery about where it started.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't read the entire thread Sci. Has anyone talked about Yaka-mein? It's made in corner stores in New Orleans and it is a bizarre local (not regional) soup. Yaka-mein is a soup made with meat stock, brisket or other chopped beef, spaghetti noodles and green onions. It is topped with hard boiled eggs that are halved. It is delicious. Occasionally it contains other vegetables. Yummy. It is also a mystery about where it started.

This looks delicious. Don't think it's been mentioned.

-Mekah Market in Philly, across the street from the mosque on ...IIRC 42nd & Walnut? I think it's Afghani, definitely a South Asian and possibly Middle Eastern influence. Delicious chicken and lamb, love the gravy they use as well.

-Restaurant School in Philly. Great French desserts, a variety of cuisine choices like French and American. Lunch is really cheap as it's practice for the students.

• 6 months later...

Ramen Dojo in San Mateo Cali

I was rather doubtful about waiting in line for 15-20 minutes just to get ramen, given my prior experience was eating those $0.25 packets.

Once inside I noticed that once they run out broth the shop just closes. I figured this was just a way to get publicity, as I've waited in line to eat over hyped cuisine before.

But the moment I tasted my pork ramen, I was happy to admit I was sinfully wrong. The broth was unbelievably good, the meat & noodles soft and delicious. A bowl of this stuff is really filling, and I confess I did drink the broth upon finishing my noodles & meat.

The small town that is our mailing address is home to Iva's Chicken Shack, a chicken eatery founded during the 1930's for the lumbermen in the area. They also owned the local hatchery and any excess fowl would end up as dinner. One of the old hatchery buildings is still there too. They still use the original recipes from the 30s, so the food has a very homestyle taste to it. I had my wedding reception there :) And it did appall my upper middle class father that his daughter was having the reception in a place with "shack" in the title. It's not as sleazy as it sounds: it's an old converted town house with an addition on the back for a modern kitchen. It really is very "olden days" feeling. A lot of people even like it better than the world famous Frankenmuth chicken from Zehnders and Bavarian Inn.

Further south of us, Bay City is known as a Catholic/Lutheran party town (virtually everyone in that city is Polish, Irish, Italian, Mexican or German) for having the most bars per capita in Michigan. And most antique stores per capita in the world! But they have excellent ethnic restaurants, pubs, bars, etc... along with a great old fashioned ice cream parlor on the Saginaw River that's open all night on weekends in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Oakland, CA

There's a taco stand that sets up outside the liquor store down the street from my apartment, and they have the spiciest salsa I have ever tasted. They also load up the tacos with potato and grilled onions. It's perfect street food. And cheap!

Also in east oakland: Champa Garden, the best Thai/Laotion food I've ever had.

• 1 month later...

Brenda's French Soul Food

Chicken Etouffee, Brenda's Fried Chicken, Cream Biscuit, Cranberry Sauce, Collard Greens + Pork cooked in with pork fat or in some porky broth.

Chicken Etouffee was good, though I think it might've been better with seafood rather than chicken.

The fried chicken was incredibly good - a nice batter that breaks off from well cooked meat.

Collard Greens were good, but then anything touched by the grace of Pork Fat usually is.

It's sweet corn season! The bestest ever. If you're in corn country, seriously do yourself a favor and pick up some corn from a roadside stand and take it home. Soak it in the husk and throw it on the grill. No butter or salt needed, it's just so good. I seriously look forward to this each year.

+1

The khoa soi is so good.

As for the taco truck is it Tacos Mi Rancho about a block off Lake Merrit?

No, it's a little stand on 35th ave, between International and Foothill. The Sinaloa truck on 22nd is really good too, amazing carnitas!

• 2 weeks later...

Butter & Zeus in San Jose - pretty good waffle place. Had the Chicken & Waffles with dark meat - chicken was nicely cooked with some rosemary in the better. Also got the waffles with eggs, ham, and pesto.

Only complaint is second time I went the waffles were overly crispy.

Archived