Sell me your local neighborhood cuisine

Sci-2

Near where I grew up there's a restaurant called Field to Fork that sources all of its ingredients from local farmers. They serve the most incredible T-bone I've ever had, with horseradish butter and these crispy chunky potato wedges with coarse sea salt. Then finish off with a local cheese board that has probably the best Stilton I've ever had as well.

Back to topic, plenty of good eats here in JP.

Ula cafe, definitely my favorite coffee spot in town. The baked goods are phenomenal, with plenty of vegan and GF offerings. I usually go with a crumb bun and wash it down with a New Orleans ice coffee (cold brewed Iced coffee with whole milk and vanilla/brown sugar syrup)

JP Seafood has great Asian fare, but their sushi is especially killer. The eel avocado maki? Yeah, I'll take about three dozen of those.

In my day off, I could (and have) spend the entire day at Canary Square. Great, ever changing beer selection, and haven't had a meal there I haven't enjoyed. Brunch is the stand out, I highly recommend the corned beef tongue hash and "Green eggs and ham" braised berkshire pork, poached eggs, salsa verde, over spiced pinto beans.

Outside of my neighborhood however, I must insist anyone in the Boston area check out two of my all time favorites. First the Ho Yuen Chinese bakery in Chinatown. Pick up a half dozen each of the coconut rolls and roast pork buns, thank me, and die happy. Then head across the river to Punjabi Dhaba in Inman Sq., Cambridge, for what I believe to be the best Indian food in the Western Hemisphere. Actually, you can't really go too wrong eating in the Inman Square/Cambridge street area...

In Rhode Island we make better seafood then you do. Get over it, and come have some.

I friggin love fresh seafood, but I live in the goddamned middle of the country with no ocean for miles and miles and miles. Makes me so very sad. The best clam chowder I ever had was a place in Salem, Mass. Don't remember the name of the place, I just remember bliss.

Back to topic, plenty of good eats here in JP.

Ula cafe, definitely my favorite coffee spot in town. The baked goods are phenomenal, with plenty of vegan and GF offerings. I usually go with a crumb bun and wash it down with a New Orleans ice coffee (cold brewed Iced coffee with whole milk and vanilla/brown sugar syrup)

JP Seafood has great Asian fare, but their sushi is especially killer. The eel avocado maki? Yeah, I'll take about three dozen of those.

In my day off, I could (and have) spend the entire day at Canary Square. Great, ever changing beer selection, and haven't had a meal there I haven't enjoyed. Brunch is the stand out, I highly recommend the corned beef tongue hash and "Green eggs and ham" braised berkshire pork, poached eggs, salsa verde, over spiced pinto beans.

Outside of my neighborhood however, I must insist anyone in the Boston area check out two of my all time favorites. First the Ho Yuen Chinese bakery in Chinatown. Pick up a half dozen each of the coconut rolls and roast pork buns, thank me, and die happy. Then head across the river to Punjabi Dhaba in Inman Sq., Cambridge, for what I believe to be the best Indian food in the Western Hemisphere. Actually, you can't really go too wrong eating in the Inman Square/Cambridge street area...

What and where is JP?

If you are in the vicinity of Deerfield Beach, FL it is almost law that you visit Whale's Rib. It is easily what I miss most about Florida. Blackened Dolphin Key West... delicious.

As far as the Boone, NC area goes: Woodland's Barbecue in Blowing Rock. People may be taken aback by the bench seating and being served on paper plates, but it is some of the best barbecue you will find in Western North Carolina, and a fantastic value if you have a family.

Raleigh? St. Jacques. It is about as close to home as I can get in Central North Carolina.

A lot of people think the official food of Denver is the Denver Omelette, but it is in actuality beer. We enjoy many other foods, but no specific thing is dominant other than that. The food truck phenomenon has actually been somewhat of a problem for the local bars: Not only can they not sell cheap fried food to save their lives anymore, but those fuckers pay the city to occupy parking meters in front of the actual bar and cost them their food business.

Dosa's,Idly's and Rotis lathered with butter sided with chutneys of coconut and mango and Sambar(A curry) and Paneer pea masala,These things are awesome.

Though some might be too hot or spicy for most people here.

Dosa

http://vancouversavvy.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dosa1.jpg

Idly

http://www.ghumakkar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/pic-7-murugan-idly-shop-food.jpg

Roti

http://www.tarladalal.com/members/9306/images/bajra-roti-977.jpg

Panner Peas Masala

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6498477017_848c40ca57_o.jpg

I friggin love fresh seafood, but I live in the goddamned middle of the country with no ocean for miles and miles and miles. Makes me so very sad. The best clam chowder I ever had was a place in Salem, Mass. Don't remember the name of the place, I just remember bliss.

My brother makes the best lobster bisque ever. It is decadent in it's rich creamy delicate way and just the right amount of sherry makes your body have that warm flush from head to toe at first taste...damn it's good!

Speaking of soups, one cook we had at the restaurant made great soups.

He made beef noodle with veal chunks leftover after cutting and pounding it for cutlets and putting the bone in for flavoring. Fettuccine pasta for noddles, carrots, celery, bay leaves and other great seasoning. We'd have people call and ask what's the soup of the day and whenever it was beef noodle people would come and order pints of it to take home.

My personal favorite of his was cream of mushroom though.

Mmmmm. BBQ. I miss me some real pulled pork. Here, BBQ means "cooking on a grill outdoors." And I would kill somebody for a real hush puppy. Good thing I'm headed to the Outer Banks in two weeks. Diet be damned, I'm eating hush puppies until somebody rolls me outta the fish joint.

New Yorkers, born and bred, We now make our home in two places... Vegas, and NJ

The Jersey shore is a lot of fun, and a culture unto itself. In our town there's a 'lil spot we like called "Maloney's on Main" in Matawan ... at any given time they have over 100 beers on tap, constantly rotating, and the food is excellent. Miles ahead of average "Bar food". http://www.maloneyspubnj.com/

As for Vegas, hell, we go out to eat every night, and we never have to hit the same place twice. One spot we always seem to find ourselves at is Rao's in Caesar's ... http://www.caesarspalace.com/restaurants.html

Archived