Reading Joe Abercrombie's The First Law for the first time. (Spoilers for Books 1-3)

Ded As Ned

I mean like Tad Williams names (see, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, and Shadowmarch series). I don't really have problems with the Mereeneese names

Meereense names aren't unpronounceable, they're just annoying and hard to remember.

Book 2 spoilers,

Oh man, Jezal getting Jaime Lannistered...who would've thought I'd feel this sorry for him. :crying: I have to say though, I loved the two battles halfway through book 2. The Logen/Ferro/Jezal fight with Funnius or whatever his name is was really good.

I have a bad feeling about the Dogman & Co. (Black Dow) and the blacksmith's daughter Cathil, I hope the story doesn't go where I think it's going.

Book 2 spoilers,

Oh man, Jezal getting Jaime Lannistered...who would've thought I'd feel this sorry for him. :crying: I have to say though, I loved the two battles halfway through book 2. The Logen/Ferro/Jezal fight with Funnius or whatever his name is was really good.

I have a bad feeling about the Dogman & Co. (Black Dow) and the blacksmith's daughter Cathil, I hope the story doesn't go where I think it's going.

Even though I didn't see it coming, I didn't feel sorry for him one bit, in fact I hope he becomes Golkta 2.0 and never recovers. He's such a douche.

How would you have us deal with traitors and criminals?

Well... that's a whole other discussion I think. Part of me would like to just sit back and watch the discussion roll.

However, I would point out that obviously not everyone Glokta tortures is actually guilty.

Well... that's a whole other discussion I think. Part of me would like to just sit back and watch the discussion roll.

However, I would point out that obviously not everyone Glokta tortures is actually guilty.

THEN WHY DO THEY CONFESS, RHOM? WHY????

Dogman is as close as it gets to not being a douchenozzle, but even he has his moments.

Well, there's Thunderhead. He's a nice enough fellow.

Also Rudd Threetrees.

And Curnden Craw, if you count the standalone books.

On a related note - currently re-reading The Heroes for the third time. Such an awesome book.

Actually, I was just messing around, that was a line from Glokta in the first book.

But now that you've mentioned it, spoilers from the second book ahead,

IIRC everyone Glokta tortured in Adua was with the guild of Mercers and they turned out to be guilty of dodging taxes. In Dagoska he tortured Carlot dan Eider and the son of the governor, and they both turned out to be traitor who conspired with the Gurkish. He also tortured Harker(?) who was guilty of incompetence amounting to treason and the Gurkish ambassador whose country was waging war against Dagoska.

But now that you've mentioned it, IIRC everyone Glokta tortured in Adua was with the guild of Mercers and they turned out to be guilty of dodging taxes. In Dagoska he tortured Carlot dan Eider and the son of the governor, and they both turned out to be traitor who conspired with the Gurkish. He also tortured Harker(?) who was guilty of incompetence amounting to treason and the Gurkish ambassador whose country was waging war against Dagoska.

Everyone is "guilty" of something. The point is that they were innocent of the crimes they were accused of. And the penalty that they were inflicted (in most cases death) was not in agreement with what they had really done.

Archived