Can a Jon Snow + Daenerys romance work in the final book?

total1402

Im all for Jon and Dany forming a close sibling relationship like the Stark children have with eachother, Jon finally being someone she can trust and not after her boobies or Dragons. How a relationship like that can flourish in one book though I dunno. I say one book because I expect Jon to be comatose for the majority of tWOW and Dany to be sorting out Slaver Bay. Even then it would be more like half a book.

They could, the very last line of the final book, could be the wedding and coronation. They could get married for political reasons and to continue the targaryen dynasty. The fate of the marriage it could be left to imagination.

Dany can get Jon's news, strangles and significance by Tyrion, Marwan and perhaps Arya if she leaves Bravos. I don't know about a love affair (I trust George that he can make an interesting and realistic story out of it, if he wants to take it that way) but I really want to see them interact as two very different characters that want the same things and have dealt with power in different ways and they were both unsuccessful in it.

One of Jon or Dany will be dead by the end of the series and considering Jon has been near death multiple times i'm gonna say Dany. There is your bittersweet right there, after forming a connection Dany die's in Jon's arms.

Well, they've both been pretty close to death multiple times. I don't have the exact tally, but enough to be competitive with each other in that respect.

Has there been any romance in these books that actually worked? I don't think this is what GRRM is going for.

Come to think of it... have ANY romances worked out? I can't think of one couple in the current generation, or previous, that are still together?

Cat's brother and the Frey girl? He's captured but I guess they are still married, yea?

Has there been any romance in these books that actually worked? I don't think this is what GRRM is going for.

Catelyn and Ned's marriage was actually pretty good even considering Jon. They're like the model of what a successful arranged marriage could turn out to be.

But those are short stories which are meant to be brief and to the point. This is a seven novel long epic fantasy series. You can't have the central main romance arc happen in the final novel over a thirty page snippet as soon as the characters meet. It would just look tacked on and feel forced as the series will already be concluding.

Can you imagine if you were watching a film for three hours and then in the last 15 minutes two of our characters finally meet, fall in love and marry. Thats essentially what it is. A gimmick. Something which hasn't been built up and won't be properly explored. It will purely be relying on fan-service feel good factor rather than making a full fledged arc of it. To me that just feels very cheap to what is going to be the central romance of the series.

Yes, I agree the dynamics of their meeting is highly depended on where in the story they'll meet especially with respect to R+L=J.

I have an idea (though I'm not wedded to it). Dany could be the one to effectively uncover R+L=J, after finding Jon curious, when he interacts with her dragons. She dispatches a few investigators, maybe including Tyrion, who go on to uncover Howland and/or Wylla. If she's in charge by then, a few questions, with the answers effectively "under oath" seal the deal.

Ned and Cat, Robb and Jeyne, Edmure and Roslin, Bronn and Lollys ... (the last one was a joke, or was it?)

Archived