Can a Jon Snow + Daenerys romance work in the final book?

total1402

No. Not in the final book, not ever. There isn't going to be a romance between these two. They will meet, but I seriously doubt they will even be on the same side.

But what if there is a brief but powerful romance between them before one of them or maybe both of them die? Will it be lame, cliche, stupid, just because it happened? Will you quit the books in a fit of sanctimonious rage because it didn't fit in with whatever story you developed for these characters in your head? Because I can't actually see GRRM writing something as big as this would be if it were to happen, stupidly.

No no no no no no no no no no. A Jon/ Dany romance would be the lamest thing that happened since Dorkstar.

And when I read argumentation like this where the main point is: It would be lame. All I read, hear, see from the argument is a vision of pre-school boys screaming: Girls give you cooties!!!

But what if there is a brief but powerful romance between them before one of them or maybe both of them die? Will it be lame, cliche, stupid, just because it happened? Will you quit the books in a fit of sanctimonious rage because it didn't fit in with whatever story you developed for these characters in your head? Because I can't actually see GRRM writing something as big as this would be if it were to happen, stupidly.

I agree. In fact, without even getting there yet, their relationship is already too complex (i.e. interesting). By the time they meet, Jon would've heard all sorts of stories about this woman, and finding out she's an aunt will make things even more complicated, at least for him. If he is to be the point man as far as defending the realm against Others is concerned, then she might ask all sorts of questions about Jon, and hear all sorts of stories about him before they meet/when they meet. None of this lends itself to a "let's fall in love at first sight and have babies for the good of the seven kingdoms" immediately. But it does present GRRM with an opportunity to write an interesting romance/union should he wish to do so. An aunt/nephew incestuous relationship is as far from a cliche as I can think of.

Re: Varys' smear campaign against Daenerys:

What's the point of being the Slayer of Lies if no one gives you any lies to slay? So if they try to take her down with lies that's snarky and ironic but it's also just an answer to the challenge she issued by calling herself a Lie Fighter as one of her titles. Varys will say "Thanks for the idea, honey!" because he feels confident about his ability to lie so he'll accept a duel with that as the weapon. And I guess her best bet to beat the lie would be to behave like a better person than what the lies would have people believe, so it becomes apparent that the lies are hollow when she shows true character. Uh,. ........ good luck with that. Maybe if she saves everyone's ass it'll be good for PR. Also, Jon is always being smeared, so he might identify with a dragonlady who's going through the same.

I totally subscribe to this theory:

JON SNOW WILL LEAD THE ARMY OF WHITE WALKERS AGAINST DAENERYS TARGARYEN AND HER DRAGONS

BUT WHY?

No, Dany hate all Baratheon and Starks. She might want both houses gone. She might be willing to kill off all the members of the Starks and Baratheon family, even the kids

What a pile of utter stinking bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual text. Dany even refused to kill the children of the slavers that she took a hostages, when she was told she had to in order to be taken seriously. And the whole "she hates entire Stark/Baratheon/Lannister families" is just Dany-hating fanon - the only people she refers to as ""Usurper" and "Usurper's dogs" respectively in the actual text are Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark, Tywin Lannister and Jaime Lannister i.e the people actually involved in overthrowing the Targaryes.

The Usurper will kill you, sure as sunrise, Mormont had said. Robert had slain her gallant brother Rhaegar, and one of his creatures had crossed the Dothraki sea to poison her and her unborn son. They said Robert Baratheon was strong as a bull and fearless in battle, a man who loved nothing better than war. And with him stood the great lords her brother had named the Usurper’s dogs, cold-eyed Eddard Stark with his frozen heart, and the golden Lannisters, father and son, so rich, so powerful, so treacherous.

eowyn and faramir ended up together at the last part already. i still remember myself squeeling. i think grrm can pull off the "nice" romance part even at the ending.

Awww, what a sweet reference :)

Except Faramir did not end up as the King and Eowyn did not become a queen :)

Except Faramir did not end up as the King and Eowyn did not become a queen :)

Yes they were lesser characters to be sure. Aragorn and Arwen would be the better comparison, but of course there is just no way ASOIF will end as happily and perfect as TLOTR did.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

I just reread the part in Book 1, where Dany called Starks Unsurper's dog. maybe she called the Stark that because her brother told her the story and he called the Starks that name. maybe Selmy would tell her the true story of what happened and she will not hate the Starks. If Dany meet Shireen Baratheon, she might adopted Shireen because Shireen have a little in common with Dany. They both were shy girls. They didn't have many friends. Dany was cut off from making friends by her brother. Shireen had to stay in the castle. They both mad friend latter in life. Dany became friends with Missandei. Shireen befriended Edric Storm,Patchface, a frost giant, and Jon Snow.

I love how this topic is basically working from the standpoint that Jon will be the same character he was before he was stabbed.

Getting killed will change someone, especially if it was by his "brothers".

What George RR Martin says on Ice~

I mean... Fire is love, fire is passion, fire is sexual ardor and all of these things. Ice is betrayal, ice is revenge, ice is… you know, that kind of cold inhumanity and all that stuff is being played out in the books.

No way will Jon be the same person, when the entire theme of Georges story suggests otherwise. Ice is revenge, betrayal, cold inhumanity.

I have an idea (though I'm not wedded to it). Dany could be the one to effectively uncover R+L=J, after finding Jon curious, when he interacts with her dragons. She dispatches a few investigators, maybe including Tyrion, who go on to uncover Howland and/or Wylla. If she's in charge by then, a few questions, with the answers effectively "under oath" seal the deal.

Ned and Cat, Robb and Jeyne, Edmure and Roslin, Bronn and Lollys ... (the last one was a joke, or was it?)

Ned and Cat have an arranged marriage and grew to love eachother. Probably the best couple indeed.

Robb and Jeyne? Okay true, they seemed to love eachother. That worked out pretty well for them.

Edmure and Roslin. Where's the romance? They never met until the wedding and Edmure was relieved that she was good looking. But that's it.

Anyways, unless Jon dyes his beard and gets a golden tooth i don't think he's her type.

I love how this topic is basically working from the standpoint that Jon will be the same character he was before he was stabbed.

Getting killed will change someone, especially if it was by his "brothers".

What George RR Martin says on Ice~

I mean... Fire is love, fire is passion, fire is sexual ardor and all of these things. Ice is betrayal, ice is revenge, ice is… you know, that kind of cold inhumanity and all that stuff is being played out in the books.

No way will Jon be the same person, when the entire theme of Georges story suggests otherwise. Ice is revenge, betrayal, cold inhumanity.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So why did you kill Jon Snow?

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?

Well, I guess. Yes. That’s how I took it. The way it was written, it sounded like he was mortally wounded — and, you know, it’s you!

Well. I’m not going to address whether he’s dead or not.

I think this does not sound like Jon ever died.

Ha, I guess worked would mean... the couple is alive, well, happy, together? So many of them were, for a short time. Cat and Ned might have been the best couple, at least their kids were coming of age.

Yes, this. And preferably lasting longer than a short time..And romance first and then marriage because of that, which is probably rare for Westerosi nobles.

I think this does not sound like Jon ever died.

I agree he is not dead all the way. But the App says Jon Snow; Place of death; Castle Black.

I'm just glad GRRM says this kind of stuff in interviews. I mean if Jon was dead then there would be no reason to question the reporter in that way.

if written properly i don't see why not, but would Jon like daenerys i mean yea he would find her beautiful (which she is), but would he like her especially after all he has been through. Dany is an even bigger if i mean she clearly has a type which jon ain't.

eowyn and faramir ended up together at the last part already. i still remember myself squeeling. i think grrm can pull off the "nice" romance part even at the ending.

If LotR was like ASoIaF Gandalf would have been beheaded by Saruman at Orthanc, not imprisoned. And maybe Gimli and Legolas would have knifed Aragorn.

Archived