Is everyone too harsh on Victarion's intelligence?

Victarion10

Dear God people, the man thought Asha was trying to seduce him in Feast! (Or is that an Ironborn thing?)

I think Vic catches a lot of flake for being stupid because he's also...bad. As a person I mean-he's unsympathetic, misogynistic, arrogant and harsh. So whereas Dunk-who isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier-or Brienne don't excite as much mirth, it's because they are nice, good people.

He's not very bright, in general, but few Ironborn are.

However, he's a competent sailor, to get most of his fleet halfway round the World.

And, Dany will have the hots for him, when they meet.

His inner dialog cracks me up, together with Cersei's. They have such terrible, ludicrous plans but the whole time they think - I have a cunning plan. Like Baldrick from Blackadder. But they have no idea how laughably awful their ideas are. I find it adorbs.

"I've got a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it weasel!"

Dear God people, the man thought Asha was trying to seduce him in Feast! (Or is that an Ironborn thing?)

I think Vic catches a lot of flake for being stupid because he's also...bad. As a person I mean-he's unsympathetic, misogynistic, arrogant and harsh. So whereas Dunk-who isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier-or Brienne don't excite as much mirth, it's because they are nice, good people.

Yeah, I think it's this.

Vic's strategy to get Dany: Me Vic. Vic Smash. Vic take wife. Grr...

But does it hurt him, the dumbness? That guy whose ship he invaded and killed during the "Meet Victarion" fight at sea seemed like a pretty smart guy. That smart guy got kilt by the dumb guy. Maybe you don't have to be a genius to win. Maybe the genius type guys just want everyone to believe that, so nobody challenges them except other eggheads who play by the same rules. Whereas Vic just bangs these eggheads and prooves he's more effective just by smashing them up. Isn't that what you'd want? Isn't that the mercenary outfit you'd want to hire---the effective one? He's good stupid.

All the reasons given here for Vic being stupid is because GRRM says so or this character says so. There is no evidence he is. In fact, I would say so far he has made some pretty good decisions. I love Vic's chapters, He reminds me of a character in Brian Lumley's old series, "Necroscope", a character named Thibor who said, "Only two things I believe in, blood and steel. The first to wield the second and the second to spill the first." I digress, I'm not saying he is a genius but he has proven himself competent in leading and of course battle which is pretty much all the iron born are about. Love me some Vic and all Greyjoy chapters for that matter, dont understand why so many people on this forum dont like them.

Maybe it's because some people look at the Ironborn and see buffoons and cartoons. Cardboard cutouts of Vikings. Even the motto "We do not sow" translates as "we don't perform any useful work; we just go out and steal from those who do".

Maybe it's because some people look at the Ironborn and see buffoons and cartoons. Cardboard cutouts of Vikings. Even the motto "We do not sow" translates as "we don't perform any useful work; we just go out and steal from those who do".

There are some great characters within the Ironborn. The Reader is great and I like Asha. Damphair is a religious fanatic but a fully fleshed out character. It's the overall culture that troubles me.

Yeah, I think it's this.

Vic's strategy to get Dany: Me Vic. Vic Smash. Vic take wife. Grr...

Ha which oddly enough i could see Dany going for, especially if he furnishes a few axe handles with naked women

Ha which oddly enough i could see Dany going for, especially if he furnishes a few axe handles with naked women

Have you ever seen those mud flaps on the back of semi trucks with naked women on them? Daario's swords always make me think of those.

He's the ASOIAF version of Titus Pullo. He has the mental capacity to think a little deeper, but his emotions, rough upbringing as an Ironbor,n and lack of education overtake that.

That was an awesome series.

Archived