Is Fanfiction really that bad?

The Crow

the op asks about fanfiction but doesn't specify that he means fanfiction about asoiaf so i will assume they mean fanfiction in general. having just watched a commercial for "his mortal instruments" the movie, and constantly hearing about the huge success that "fifty shades of grey" has had, i can say that fanfiction is not really bad for the people that write it. those who read it may have a different opinion though.

i would say the biggest boon about fanfiction is that it allows novice authors a venue to try their hand at writing. the feedback can be brutal so it is by no means a guaranteed positive experience but it is an easy way to get people to interact with your work.

that said, i think it is a travesty that mortal instruments and 50 shades of grey have actually been published. grrm has the right of it concerning publishing rights and i fear we are sliding down a steep, slippery slope when we allow fanfiction to be bound and published as if it were an original work rather than a practical exercise for burgeoning writers.

I've read a (sadly not yet completed) re-write of the "Caretaker" pilot from Star Trek: Voyager that is extremely good, better than the official tie-in novel that I've also read. Of course, that's a pretty low bar. There's also a very good Star Wars vs Star Trek fanfiction that's been completed since I was a teenager, and a Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness epic fanfiction that's better than the tie-in novel as well.

• 1 month later...

that said, i think it is a travesty that mortal instruments and 50 shades of grey have actually been published. grrm has the right of it concerning publishing rights and i fear we are sliding down a steep, slippery slope when we allow fanfiction to be bound and published as if it were an original work rather than a practical exercise for burgeoning writers.

I don't know. 50 Shades honestly isn't really dependent on Twilight. It's a masturbatory aid whose world really doesn't require vampires at all.

And well, Sword of Shannara was bound and published after all.

I was really into Harry Potter fanfiction (and guess I still am lol) and even wrote a couple of stories. I thought it was fun and it was a great way to immerse yourself in that world between books...or now that all of the books have been written. I also liked all the interesting takes that the people had on the Potterverse. Now saying that...I've only read a tiny bit of Jaime/Brienne fanfiction and what I read was pretty good. I know there is a lot of really dire fanfiction out there though. So I'll say fanfiction is good, and fun and I don't think it detracts from the books at all...in fact I'd say it keeps the fires ablaze to make you want more, more, more of the real books.

Someone on the previous page had a perfect line - I hate violations of canon. As such, I can't bring myself to read fanfiction, it violates the whole point of storytelling (for me personally, obviously, I'm not going to argue that anyone else should view stories the same way).

Someone on the previous page had a perfect line - I hate violations of canon. As such, I can't bring myself to read fanfiction, it violates the whole point of storytelling (for me personally, obviously, I'm not going to argue that anyone else should view stories the same way).

So you refuse to read Shakespeare, Dante, and Virgil. All of whom wrote fan-fiction.

In many ways fanfiction made me like the HP universe more, if not some of the characters. For example I didn't particularly like Dumbledore by the end, fanfiction's just made me dislike him more. I also liked Remus and Sirius but again fanfiction made me like them less. Oddly fanfiction has never convinced me that a character I dislike is actually likeable. Everyone who has tried to make Snape or Malfoy into likeable characters has failed miserably. Even the better authors.

So you refuse to read Shakespeare, Dante, and Virgil. All of whom wrote fan-fiction.

I would say that Dante does qualify. I am wondering what of Shakespeare does? I don't really count fictionalizations of actual history (again, this is my personal preference). I have not read Virgil, which I'm sure is my loss.

But for all of these, I would say that none of them violate "canon" as I perceive it. Perhaps it's a question of the contemporary - but none of them create a situation where the established work/authorized canon and the derivative/fan-fiction work lead to multiple versions of events. I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that they were already established by the time I got around to them. But the cognitive dissonance mentioned above is the biggest issue for me. Someone upthread mentioned fan-fiction as a great way to examine "what-if", and that's probably very accurate - but when it comes to fiction, I don't really want to consider what-if because it badly fucks with my suspension of disbelief, and if I can't maintain that, then it detracts a lot from my experience of whatever I'm reading/watching.

For example, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, for example, and I'm considering not watching/engaging with the films that get made over the next few years, because I'm concerned that they will violate the canon that was authorized and created in the Star Wars Expanded Universe - even though, as a Star Wars fan, I should be jacked up with excitement.

For example, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, for example, and I'm considering not watching/engaging with the films that get made over the next few years, because I'm concerned that they will violate the canon that was authorized and created in the Star Wars Expanded Universe - even though, as a Star Wars fan, I should be jacked up with excitement.

I was under the impression that the EU books aren't canonical, not that I've ever read them. Do the Incredible Cross-Sections count as fanfic?

I've never read Shannara, is it that bad?

The early Shannara books are supremely excellent -- only a handful of fantasy works can rival them.

However, the writing quality of Shannara has steadily declined in recent years

(though some of his fans argue this is only a style change).

I would say that Dante does qualify. I am wondering what of Shakespeare does? I don't really count fictionalizations of actual history (again, this is my personal preference). I have not read Virgil, which I'm sure is my loss.

Almost everything Shakespeare wrote is a retelling of a popular story/play from the time. Their might be one or two originals in there, but a lot of the popular stuff is all based on something else. The very idea that an author

I was under the impression that the EU books aren't canonical, not that I've ever read them. Do the Incredible Cross-Sections count as fanfic?

There are different levels of Star Wars cannon. It's insane. Wookieepedia has a much better article on it somewhere.

could actually own a story didn't even exists back then. If you tried to explain copyright to Shakespeare he would have thought you were daft.

Archived