I'm sorry. I can't help it.

Only because you like Rhaegar :P

I like Robert also, no matter how flawed he is, he's a jolly drunken fellow who is great company when drunk and proves that winning a Throne is different to sitting on it.

Yep :blushing: :D (But hey, hasn't Rhaegar suffered enough too? :P)

Anyways, in the show I totally enjoyed Robert... Mark Addy's portrayal was really fun, especially in the Lancel scenes. But I still dislike him as a person. Like, in real life, I've always had difficulties abiding people like Robert.

I should know better but just can't help it. I have tried with other characters but its not the same. Robert Baratheon is my favourite. He's flawed but aren't we all? I know I am.

Bob was an alcoholic,sex addict who displayed some seriously self-destructive behaviour but there are no therapists in Westeros. I know he abused Cersei and was a disinterested father. I know he almost bankrupted the realm. I get it. But there were positives too and I can't forget the Hammer swingin, ass kickin rebel he was in his youth. Bob wasn't meant to be King and he was pretty much lied to and pandered to by his council. Hell even Ned lied to Bob.

No wonder he didn't give a shit in the end. Kings Landing will chew you up and spit you out.

So come on, in the world of ASoIaF who would you have wanted to be fighting with and then having a victory feast with? Surely Bob B and his mega hammer of ass kickery!

So own up forumers! You know its wrong sometimes but who can't you help loving despite your better judgement?

At least Bob hasn't chucked any kids out of windows ;)

Yes.

And don't forget he killed the harp playing emo prince.

Robert is larger than life with appetites larger than life. I've seen him compared to Henry VIII of England. But at least Robert didn't marry six wives and behead two. And he didn't break away from his faith and persecute those who followed the 'old religion'. He was a good war leader and a loyal friend. He remained loyal to his memory of Lyanna, and though he deserves demerits for hitting Cersei. Probably she gave as good as she got. Certainly, in the end she gave better by killing him.

Once the Targaryens were defeated, his biggest mistake--morally if not strategically--was accepting the Lannisters' violence in the SAck of KL as a fait accompli and more or less rewarding them by marrying Cersei and keeping Jaime in the Kingsguard. As king, he presided over a peaceable kingdom and quickly put down the one threatening rebellion. He had the wisdom (or luck) of naming Jon Arryn as Hand. Arryn ran the kingdom well, with little of the roiling and toiling that characterised Henry VIII's reign. It is not Robert's fault that so much jockeying for the succession was going on behind his and Arryn's backs. It was precisely those political machinations that tripped up Ned, who had no experience with such things.

So as a king and a man, Robert was mediocre but better than many. As a terrific, dynamic character....what's not to like?

I agree show Robert is better. I liked him on the show

I don't like Robert from the books. Maybe because we actually know more about him.

Or maybe because the show humanized him more. The scene with Cersei was masterful.

I feel like if we got a Robert POV, many would change their opinion of him. A lot of people around here like to paint him as a 1 dimensional buffoon. When in fact, I'm sure there are many sides to him we didn't get to see. If I can say anything about the Baratheon bros, it's that they're private men. They don't seem to like to talk about their emotions all that much, so getting into their heads would do wonders in making them seem more full fleshed characters.

Taking cheap shots at other flawed characters. Fair enough. At least Jamie has never sexually assaulted anyone.

True, he was too busy ramming his sister. Trying to defend Jamie is futile, no matter how great a character he is.

I love robert baratheon as a character. The fact that he just pursued whatever gave him pleasure whilst being this incredible warrior and charismatic leader makes him a very enjoyable character to me. If only he didn't get fat after he took the throne though.

I really liked Robert Baratheon, but I also found him tragic. He wasn't a bad guy, but he wasn't cut out for being King; he should have been a general or heck, even just a hedge knight - anything where he would get work with his hands (and warhammer). He was made for action, but instead all he got to do was to sit on an ugly throne and "rust unburnished". And that didn't work for him at all. :(

Archived