News re: Guy Gavriel Kay's next book

Regina

EDIT: I checked out Brightweavings and, yep:

SPOILER: Ysabel
It's true. Aunt Kim = a character from The Fionavar Tapestry. Damn. I'm now wondering if I should have another crack at reading the trilogy. I wasn't a fan of the first one and never finished the series :unsure:

Though that is cool, there's no reason to finish the trilogy. If anything, it gets worse after the first book (and this coming from someone who loves all other Kay books).

Stego,

Lucky bastard!

Brahm_K,

Mileage varies considerably on Fionavar. Some love it, some loathe it. I'm in the "love it", though it's got its flaws -- it was, after all, his first work. There are bits in all three books that I'm not sure he's yet surpassed for beauty or emotive force. The lack of discipline is two-edged -- it can get purple, and it can get sublime.

But as I said, mileage does vary.

Ztem, I really enjoyed Fionavar. I also very much enjoyed Song for Arbonne and Tigana and thought Lions was pretty decent. Since then each work has become more polished to me and has lacked substance. Not a big fan of the Sarantine Mosiac and I disliked Last Light. I hope Ysabel is a return to form, a novel of his that I can hopefully enjoy.

SPOILER: Ysabel
Well, I noticed it immediately, but then I know Fionavar rather well ;)

I also liked Fionavar a lot, but I see why some may dislike it. Ran's comment about purple and sublime gets it perfectly. I also love Ysabel, but I wonder what the diehard Kay fans - especially those who think Sarantine Mosaic his best work - will say. This is very different book.

As someone who feels Fionavar is still one of the best Fantasy series ever written, I am in aw over these cool little spoilers. Must get Ysabel asap.

Don't know about the situation in Holland, but as of yesterday the Swedish web-bookshop www.adlibris.se announced that Ysabel was available for orders with a 2-5 days delivery time. I odrered it immediately, so I should have it by Tuesday at the latest if they keep their promise!

Far anyone going to the signing at Vericon on Saturday, here's a post by GGK from Brightweavings that may be of interest:

By Guy Gavriel Kay (Ggk) on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:35 pm:

The bookstore is 'off site' not part of Vericon, and open to all. They are advertising around Harvard and in the local papers. But because this is a special event before the official release of YSABEL anywhere else in the States it will ONLY be on sale (legitimately, anyhow) for the Saturday while I'm there.

(This is all a nice coincidence since I accepted the Vericon invitation a very long time ago and it only emerged later how closely it dovetailed with the book's release.)

The store is taking advance orders I understand, and I'll personalize for peope who can't get there but have ordered books from them. (I do not know their procedures for web/phone orders, but I am sure their website will cover it somewhere.)

http://www.harvard.com/

The bookstore has asked me to just sign YSABEL while I'm in there (there's only about 90 minutes) but I have told the Vericon organizers I'll sign backlist titles for people attending the con, before or after one of my panels or readings. Or in the bar. Not in the shower.

Personally, my usual request is that people at signings bringing previous titles wait - as a courtesy to others - towards the back of the line-ups. Unless the situation gets crazy, I'll sign the backlist. Some authors will not sign remaindered books. I dislike doing it but I will. I sometimes do stop personalizing the earlier titles if there are too many people but mostly I try to do right by those attending, and often waiting in a line.

GGK

So, if you're just interested in getting a signed copy of Ysabel, you don't need to buy a membership to the con. Thought I'd point it out for anyone on a budget.

Stego, or anyone else who has attended Vericon before:

Would you consider it worth it to buy a membership for the day, or should we just go to the signing and then save our cash for Boskone? As I'm not overwhelmed by the descriptions on the website (the games, anime, etc. just aren't my thing), I wanted your opinion.

Now I need to decide if it'll be worth it to drag along all my older books to be signed. I might compromise and just bring my favorite, in case I stumble into the right bar when he's in the mood to sign things. :)

What does your schedule look like? We can get food either before or afterwards, depending. We were thinking of going to the Musesum of Fine Arts first and then getting over there for the signing only, now that you have been kind enough to enlighten us on the Con, thanks.

Got it on Thursday (from www.adlibris.se, in case the Swedish fans would like to know where to find it), finished it yesterday. I'll post a more detailed review later, perhaps tonight if I find time, but I liked it a lot!

I am one of those Kay readers who was disappointed in The Last Light of the Sun, but I certainly consider this book a step in a different (and better) direction in more than one way.

Speaking as one of those who does think Sarantium was his best work, and detested Last Light, Ysabel was.... good for what it is.

Emotionally powerfull, not nearly as patently predictible as Last Light (whose climax I predicted after reading for about 15 minutes), very well written, as usual, but still lacking the depth of his earlier books.

I enjoyed it, but it still seems rushed and shallow.

Dutch

Archived