So, what exactly do the Others want?

The_Bull

After 5 giant books, we still have no clue about their motives. This is one of GRRM's big mistakes.

Well, actually I quite like the mystery about them. Strongest kind of fear, is fear of the unknown.

Symbolically I see them as the Great Threat to human kind, just as human kind is a threat to them. Westerosi people are too busy fighting each other and virtually nobody is paying any attention to the wall or what's north of it, in a dark mirror on our own world: we create enemies among our neighbors but fail to focus on the real threat: human activity is profoundly shifting our ecosystem and it might kill us all.

Like someone mentioned, the Others are elemental beings, "stepping up" each time the great equilibrium is in jeopardy. They might inspire fear and be regarded as evil, but it is only a human/westerosi/essosi perception.

This or they are evil indeed (and want to take over the world), but that would be sooo dull and it would hardly fit the asoiaf's anti-archetype standard IMHO.

Methinks they are just of force of nature like what was unleashed at the Stepstones and the Neck. The have no agenda of their own.

I also dont think the big baddie will be revealed in the last chapters, as in we already know somethings about them.

Symbolically I see them as the Great Threat to human kind, just as human kind is a threat to them. Westerosi people are too busy fighting each other and virtually nobody is paying any attention to the wall or what's north of it, in a dark mirror on our own world: we create enemies among our neighbors but fail to focus on the real threat: human activity is profoundly shifting our ecosystem and it might kill us all.

Like someone mentioned, the Others are elemental beings, "stepping up" each time the great equilibrium is in jeopardy. They might inspire fear and be regarded as evil, but it is only a human/westerosi/essosi perception.

This and also I think they had a pact with the First Men that is being disregarded and they're raising their army because the North didn't remember.

I have two possible examples to draw upon that I think are interesting.

First I thought about a historical context that GRRM might be drawing upon. The main one that came to mind is the Hunnic invasion of Europe. The Wildlings would be playing the role of the Visigoths, a people being driven out of their homelands by some other, much more powerful force. The Huns had no motivation to rule over the lands they conquered, they simply wanted to sack and raid to grow their own wealth and power. In a way the Others could be like this, an overwhelming force finally coming together by the beginning of a new winter, with a motivation to stretch their legs and destroy all thats around them. This doesn't really solve the motivation question however but brings some thoughts to the table.

The second thing that came to mind were cicadas and locusts. Cicadas are known to have life-cycles that lead them to emerge from the ground after a prolonged period of time to mate. I almost imagine the Others to act in a similar fashion, emerging from the ice at the outbreak of winter. Now they probably aren't emerging to mate (though who knows, could be an interesting documentary...) but perhaps turning the living to wights fills some deep seeded need for a type of procreation. They also exhibit locust tendencies of swelling their population to their available food source, leaving widespread devastation behind.

Other random musings: I think their motivations and state of mind must be linked to the ritualistic, maybe even spiritual, designs they make in the snow out of body parts (the designs always reminded me of ancient Celtic practices).

None of what has been stated yet even goes into the huge discussion of if the Others are synonymous with "the Great Other" from the religion of R'hllor what might that say about their goals?

Also their acceptance of Crastor's arrangement might lead one to conclude their ultimate goal may not simply be death. They continued to spare his life along with his daughters given he appease their true desire, his infant sons. This might mean there is something to the blood of the innocent, or who knows but if their goal was simply to bring death to everyone it wouldn't make sense that they'd be interested in this situation.

One more thing I just thought about, if the Night's King could fall in love and actually have an ongoing relationship with one of the Other's... that actually says a lot to their character...

1st post? Well done.

Archived