Joe Abercrombie's "first law" amnesty : general questions and discussion [NO SPOILERS]

red snow

I read about that but I also read that they would be a "classical coming of age" type thing and aimed at a younger audience. It doesn't dismiss the books ofc but it does take something out of it for me.

You're getting ahead of yourself. The recently announced YA trilogy is not set in the First Law world, it will be its own thing. Joe had previously announced that he will be doing a second trilogy in the First Law, with the recent announcement of his YA work; it will be delayed a bit, but he still plans on it at last report.

Not yet, just got them. Do many of the books characters show up?

Primarily you will see minor characters showing up as more central players. For example, Shivers has a major role in Best Served Cold and Bremer dan Gorst is a key character in The Heroes. You'll also see a few cameos of the major players sometimes not even named directly pop up here and there.

I loved all three of the books. They each have their own unique "feel" to them. BSC is the "revenge" movie in the vein of Kill Bill. The Heroes is a war movie. Red Country is a western with homages to Unforgiven and The Searchers.

You're getting ahead of yourself. The recently announced YA trilogy is not set in the First Law world, it will be its own thing. Joe had previously announced that he will be doing a second trilogy in the First Law, with the recent announcement of his YA work; it will be delayed a bit, but he still plans on it at last report.

Strangely, I'm more excited about the YA trilogy than the next First Law trilogy.

Strangely, I'm more excited about the YA trilogy than the next First Law trilogy.

I wouldn't go that far but I'll definitely be picking up the first in YA trilogy with high expectations. If that series does well we may be getting people complaining for lack of more YA setting while he does TFL sequel trilogy

I wouldn't go that far but I'll definitely be picking up the first in YA trilogy with high expectations. If that series does well we may be getting people complaining for lack of more YA setting while he does TFL sequel trilogy

I think it'll be good for Joe's sake. It'll allow him to refresh his system and get him excited again to write the next trilogy, which will only benefit us, the readers.

I think it'll be good for Joe's sake. It'll allow him to refresh his system and get him excited again to write the next trilogy, which will only benefit us, the readers.

Yeah - I'm sure it's always a bad idea to embark on a trilogy when you aren't in the zone for it. Far better to do something else that's working out well in your head. Who knows, he may learn some useful tricks with the new setting that he can apply to TFL.

Just finished BSC and I'm wondering about how big Styria is. Does anyone know? His books don't come with maps. It'd have to be pretty big if it could challenge the Union or Gurkhul if it ever actually got united but I'm not sure if that wasn't just some srs hyperbole going on there.

And who the fuck is Shenkt? And his being Vitari's kids' babydaddy was a very nice twist. I had this sinking feeling in my gut he was going to kill them all. The not knowing is killing me. Also do Eaters lose their ability to cast conventional magic if they partake in the delights of human flesh? Have we seen one do Bayaz-esque sorcery? I wondered why he hadn't broken that law since the fat-head seems to care for nothing beyond swelling his own power.

Just finished BSC and I'm wondering about how big Styria is. Does anyone know? His books don't come with maps. It'd have to be pretty big if it could challenge the Union or Gurkhul if it ever actually got united but I'm not sure if that wasn't just some srs hyperbole going on there.

The standalones do include maps.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/uploaded_images/Best-Served-Cold-Map2-(2)-793409.jpg

Now, how big it is compared to the Union, I don't know.

Huh. See now I thought Styria was still on the same continent as the Union. This is interesting. Is Styria ever called an island? Or is it in entirely different continent/landmass?

Considering there was a mercenary company of 13000 and Borletta alone could muster an army of 10000 even after 19+ years of war I can see why a united Styria is such an appealing idea to Bayaz and Khalul. Makes me want Monza to unify it even more.

Styria is most definitely an island, as is the Union. It's not called Midderland for nothing, it's an island directly in the middle of the circle of the world. A more or less canonical map showed up in the First Law graphic novel, Werthead put it together with the maps we got in Best Served Cold and Red Country to make the most complete First Law world map we've seen: http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-glimpse-of-first-law-world-map.html

And who the fuck is Shenkt? And his being Vitari's kids' babydaddy was a very nice twist. I had this sinking feeling in my gut he was going to kill them all. The not knowing is killing me. Also do Eaters lose their ability to cast conventional magic if they partake in the delights of human flesh? Have we seen one do Bayaz-esque sorcery? I wondered why he hadn't broken that law since the fat-head seems to care for nothing beyond swelling his own power.

Shenkt seems to be one of Bayaz's former apprentices, who has now decided to oppose both Bayaz and Khalul. I don't remember any suggestion that Eating has any disadvantages in terms of being able to do magic. Given his other actions it does seem a bit unlikely that Bayaz has a moral objection against Eating (and he does allow his minions to do it), maybe he's just squeamish about it?

Shenkt seems to be one of Bayaz's former apprentices, who has now decided to oppose both Bayaz and Khalul. I don't remember any suggestion that Eating has any disadvantages in terms of being able to do magic. Given his other actions it does seem a bit unlikely that Bayaz has a moral objection against Eating (and he does allow his minions to do it), maybe he's just squeamish about it?

In tFL, somewhere, someone says that Eating

manifests itself differently for different people, granting them various, different powers. Certainly not every Eater we see gets Shenkt's bullet time ability, and I'm pretty sure I remember a few Eaters doing sorcery directly (or trying to) in the final battle at Adua.

^^ Yeah I know but I feel like I should

know him. Maybe it's the way he introduces himself or something. I dunno. But in the meantime I'm pegging him as Bayaz's first apprentice just cuz. I don't think it's anything but high-level Eater power that makes him move so fast and I just think it's bizarre that we've seen no Eater do any kind of magic ever. The only two people we've actually seen do magic is Yulwei and Bayaz. I could be wrong though. And yeah maybe Bayaz's schtick is breaking the First Law and Khalul's is breaking the Second (did I get those mixed up?). An arbitrary choice between two egotistic old men who don't seem to realize (or care) that the world would be a better place if they'd just curl up and die. Although Bayaz's hypocrisy just keeps piling up "Oh Eating is bad and evil! Khalul broke the Second Law and is a bad, bad stinky man! Here my apprentices, have another liver!" Bah I hate that guy.

^^ Yeah I know but I feel like I should

know him. Maybe it's the way he introduces himself or something. I dunno. But in the meantime I'm pegging him as Bayaz's first apprentice just cuz. I don't think it's anything but high-level Eater power that makes him move so fast and I just think it's bizarre that we've seen no Eater do any kind of magic ever. The only two people we've actually seen do magic is Yulwei and Bayaz. I could be wrong though. And yeah maybe Bayaz's schtick is breaking the First Law and Khalul's is breaking the Second (did I get those mixed up?). An arbitrary choice between two egotistic old men who don't seem to realize (or care) that the world would be a better place if they'd just curl up and die. Although Bayaz's hypocrisy just keeps piling up "Oh Eating is bad and evil! Khalul broke the Second Law and is a bad, bad stinky man! Here my apprentices, have another liver!" Bah I hate that guy.

Spoiler for BSC

Best theory I've heard is that Shenkt is one of the old Union kings mentioned in TFL. I forget the name but it's the same or close to name Vitari calls him, IIRC. Also that king disappeared or something. Makes sense if Shenkt quote about not kneeling. It's all in one of the past BSC threads

And spoiler for Heroes.

There is a scene near the end that implies Bayaz is an Eatet or at least occasionally Eats. He has a sketchy meal with Sulfur.

Spoiler for BSC

Best theory I've heard is that Shenkt is one of the old Union kings mentioned in TFL. I forget the name but it's the same or close to name Vitari calls him, IIRC. Also that king disappeared or something. Makes sense if Shenkt quote about not kneeling. It's all in one of the past BSC threads

I think the king's name was Casamir, and she calls him Cas.

Archived