Joe Abercrombie's "first law" amnesty : general questions and discussion [NO SPOILERS]

red snow

Ok, i'm getting towards the end of book 2... who was Marovia again? someone on the small closed council.

Yes. The twelf members of the closed council during the First Law is are:

• Law lords: High Justice Marovia, High Consul Tolichorm and an unnamed Keeper of the rolls.
  • War lords: Lord Marshal Varuz, Lord Marshal Burr, and Lord Admiral Reutzer.
  • Money men: Lord Chancellor Halleck, and the unnamed ministers for taxation and expenditure.
  • King's housegold: Lord Chamberlain Fortis dan Hoff, Commander of the Knights Herald Valdis, and Arch Lector Sult.

After the death of the previous Lord Chancellor at the beginning of the first book, the council gets divided by two factions lead by Sult and Marovia.

Yes. The twelf members of the closed council during the First Law is are:

• Law lords: High Justice Marovia, High Consul Tolichorm and an unnamed Keeper of the rolls.
  • War lords: Lord Marshal Varuz, Lord Marshal Burr, and Lord Admiral Reutzer.
  • Money men: Lord Chancellor Halleck, and the unnamed ministers for taxation and expenditure.
  • King's housegold: Lord Chamberlain Fortis dan Hoff, Commander of the Knights Herald Valdis, and Arch Lector Sult.

Right. Thanks for this info. It has been awhile since any POVs were in the capitol and I was trying to reacquaint myelf with who was who. I had picked up that Marovia was Sult's opposition, but could not remember any more than that.

None of the 52 posts so far have been on topic here, so I'm going to ask a question to try and bring things back to order. Why is the first chapter of the first book called 'The End'? Should I read the rest of the book first and then come back to it? Or should I read the entire book backwards? Thanks.

Apologies if this has been answered before btw.

Avoid if you haven't finished the first three books

It also kind similar to how Logan ends up at the end of the first three books. Going over the edge of something high being chased by enemies. Friendless and alone.

I heard if you read the series backwards, all the characters are super nice and love to bake cookies.

Yes that's true, I've noticed that most chapters start with someone dead or dying, but by the end of the chapter everybody's been magically healed. I haven't gotten to the cookies part though, you should have spoilered that.

I started reading The Blade Itself last night, about 10% through now which isn't much I guess. I'm still not really into it. Should I continue?

I'm halfway through the TBI and I can't see that much improvement over the first few chapters to be honest. But I would at least read the first book in its entirety before deciding whether to give up or not.

Quality goes up from TBI to BTAH, and further up in LAOK. Still, I found TBI amusing and interesting.

Read the whole book. Then make up your mind whether to continue.

Also remember, Joe will hunt you down if you stop buying his books. And if you've read his books, you know he has some imagination..

Guys its amazing..I suggest reading the standalone novels first, much better wriiten. Start with best served cold.

I would not read the standalones first. I do think the standalones are better novels, but the backstory you get from the trilogy really enhances your enjoyment of them.

I'm about 25% through Before they are Hanged now.

This book is awesome. That is all.

I'm about 90% through BtaH... and yes. Agreed. I've enjoyed the trilogy immensely from the 2nd or 3rd chapter of book 1.

Feed the Ego Joe.

I finished the First Law Trilogy a couple weeks back. BRILLIANT, IMO. I enjoyed them from the very beginning, but for those who are still feeling indifferent 1/2 way through TBI, I'm confident you'll be hooked by the end of the book. The payoff in the latter two books is just too good to pass up.

Also, definitely read Abercrombie's work in order of publication...

I finished the First Law Trilogy a couple weeks back. BRILLIANT, IMO. I enjoyed them from the very beginning, but for those who are still feeling indifferent 1/2 way through TBI, I'm confident you'll be hooked by the end of the book. The payoff in the latter two books is just too good to pass up.

Also, definitely read Abercrombie's work in order of publication...

The Heroes is the book that gets my vote for best Abercrombie yet. Definitely read Best Served Cold before The Heroes though.

My word... I just logged onto the forum for the first time today and there wasn't a single[/] Abercrombie thread on the first page!!!!

What has this world come to?!!?

My word... I just logged onto the forum for the first time today and there wasn't a single[/] Abercrombie thread on the first page!!!!

What has this world come to?!!?

Man, we are slipping. Thanks for bringing that to our attention, we'll stay on top of that henceforth. ;)

Archived