Joe Abercrombie's "first law" amnesty : general questions and discussion [NO SPOILERS]

red snow

How far off am I when I picture Final Fantasy's Kefka every time I read a chapter dealing with Glokta? Does he (Glokta) at least cackle?

Funny how once you get an image of someone in your head it's hard to get them out. Low res Bayaz in my head from now.

I can actually imagine someone looking like that in a book being pretty disturbing which could be good.

I love your FFVI/book characters comparisons! :lol: But I can't think of Locke as any other than Locke (Lamora). :P

Ardee reminds me of Arche from Tales of Phantasia. They both love drinking, and this (NSFW?) reminds me of that scene at the bar with Jezal and Brint, where they talk about ladies :lol:.

(Completely irrelevant to this thread, but the first mental image I had from Theon is Cliff from Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town.)

Ardee reminds me of Arche from Tales of Phantasia. They both love drinking, and this (NSFW?) reminds me of that scene at the bar with Jezal and Brint, where they talk about ladies :lol:.

Ardee reminded me of Aeris for some reason.

Many would argue the resemblance is closer than that depicted in the comics.

Still, no one has answered my question. I'll ask another.

Can Eaters eat other Eaters? And if so, do the Eaters that eat Eaters get the powers of the eaten by the Eaters they eat?

How much meat can an eater eat if an eater eats an eater?

It looks like Abercrombie's "first law" series needs a general thread where everyone can ask questions about the series in a single place.

+1 for the idea of an amnesty thread. we can gulag all of the freshmen where's-the-bookstore-how-do-i-register-what-is-the-provost-when-is-the-exam stuff here.

None of the 52 posts so far have been on topic here, so I'm going to ask a question to try and bring things back to order. Why is the first chapter of the first book called 'The End'? Should I read the rest of the book first and then come back to it? Or should I read the entire book backwards? Thanks.

Apologies if this has been answered before btw.

None of the 52 posts so far have been on topic here, so I'm going to ask a question to try and bring things back to order. Why is the first chapter of the first book called 'The End'? Should I read the rest of the book first and then come back to it? Or should I read the entire book backwards? Thanks.

Apologies if this has been answered before btw.

Yes, start at the back of the book and read backwards. The original text was in Hebrew, which is read from the "back" to the "front," as well as bottom-to-top, and right-to-left. In a compromise with the English publishers, they agreed to at least print it from "back" to "front." So when you start reading, the spine should be facing to the right.

Yes, start at the back of the book and read backwards. The original text was in Hebrew, which is read from the "back" to the "front," as well as bottom-to-top, and right-to-left. In a compromise with the English publishers, they agreed to at least print it from "back" to "front." So when you start reading, the spine should be facing to the right.

Thanks. Do you know if the first book contains spoilers for the next ones? Maybe I should start from the end of the last book and go backwards the way you suggested?

I knew Joe Abercrombie's writing is unconventional and breaks a lot of cliches, but I didn't think that he would write an entire book from end to start, the respect I have for the man goes up every day.

Thanks. Do you know if the first book contains spoilers for the next ones? Maybe I should start from the end of the last book and go backwards the way you suggested?

I knew Joe Abercrombie's writing is unconventional and breaks a lot of cliches, but I didn't think that he would write an entire book from end to start, the respect I have for the man goes up every day.

Oh shit..I was messing around. I think it's called The End for different reason.

ETA: I'm bored at work right now...

Archived