Eggon or Ay-gon?

The Dornish Direwolf

Actually, it was on YouTube on one of those snippets for the show (or maybe the DVD). I found it odd also, as I was always reading it as Eerie.

Especially weird considering that it's an actual word and pronounced like "eerie." I spent a fair amount of time trying to convince a friend to pronounce it properly.

When Shireen teaches Davos how to read (in the show) she makes a point of saying Egg-on. However, just a few episodes later, I noticed that Stannis said Ay-gon. I would think the show would at least try to keep things consistent.

But for the record I vote for Ay-gon all the way... Targaryen conquerors should conjure up mental images of blood and fire... not breakfast.

Especially weird considering that it's an actual word and pronounced like "eerie." I spent a fair amount of time trying to convince a friend to pronounce it properly.

Ha ha ha. I hate when that happens. I'm with you on the actual word. It threw me for a loop when I heard him say it.

I was looking for the clip, but didn't find it. But there was another one where he called the Dothraki - Doh-thra-kie. And another one where he says Ay-gone.

ETA:

I found another clip with I-ree. (20 sec mark)

When Shireen teaches Davos how to read (in the show) she makes a point of saying Egg-on. However, just a few episodes later, I noticed that Stannis said Ay-gon. I would think the show would at least try to keep things consistent.

I'm fairly sure Tywin pronounces Tyrell differently depending on what episodes you're up to, which was pretty weird as well.

Anyway, Aygon. Eggon sounds nowhere near as cool.

Eyrie is commonly pronounced "eerie" in American English and "eye-rie" in British English.

The ae diphthong is traditionally pronounced as a double "e" in English- haematoma, encyclopaedia- but that diphthong has been largely been phased out now which is probably why so few people seem to recognise it. If we use English pronunciation, the names would be Aemon = Eee-mon, Aerys = Eee-ris etc.

Of course, there is no reason Valyrian needs to use English pronunciation.

ETA: Note that this is why there is a Tool album entitled "Aenima"- if said out loud it is "enema".

I've always thought that the AE in Valyrian was meant to be like the AE in Latin (still surviving also in English words like "encyclopaedia"), that was pronounced like the Italian E (the first letter of "elephant") in English.

To my knowledge, "ae" in Latin is pronounced like "eye."

Archived