Boarders writing a novel, part 10

First of My Name

Awesome, Zoe!

I never have the time in November to do Nano. I am thinking of applying for UEA's Creative Writing MA again this year, though it is a bit of a long shot. They seem to go for much more experimental or contemporary authors to me.

Currently writing a short story that popped into my head a week or so back. Did some great brainstorming too for my dream epic to be done sometime in the future also. The only thing is there's a certain part in the backstory I've developed so far that I'm not sure would logically work out realistically. It works in my head but I'm not sure how readers would take it. If a fellow board member wouldn't mind taking the time to look at it and telling me what they think of it I would be grateful.

I was at a wedding this weekend and during the small talk over dinner one of the girls mentioned that she was a literary agent! Of course, she mainly works with children's books, but she insisted I take a card anyway, and it's nice to realize I know at least someone in the industry.

I know I was supposed to finish these last 2 scenes forever ago, but I haven't written in a month. Until yesterday, that is. Almost done. So close. I need to finish this week so I can at least put together a rough outline for my NaNo!

I was at a wedding this weekend and during the small talk over dinner one of the girls mentioned that she was a literary agent! Of course, she mainly works with children's books, but she insisted I take a card anyway, and it's nice to realize I know at least someone in the industry.

I know I was supposed to finish these last 2 scenes forever ago, but I haven't written in a month. Until yesterday, that is. Almost done. So close. I need to finish this week so I can at least put together a rough outline for my NaNo!

That's awesome!

Be sure to follow up on that offer! Even if she doesn't rep your genre, she may make an introduction to someone who does.

Color me jealous. :)

I'm reading Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Stover, and god... everytime I read Stover he makes me feel like I should delete everything I have ever written and start all over again. :bang: I can only dream of ever living up to him.

But then again, I'm writing for the fun of it, not to beat others. And IMHO, my book isn't that bad. I'd say it was pretty good ( :blushing: ) but just not that good... yet :D.

Wow, that sounds really promising! Wish I could bump into a lit agent like that. :-D

Wow that's amazing, *through gritted teeth* congratulations... :P

Forgot to mention this in my previous post, sorry. If anyone wants to look at the bit of backstory I mentioned I was struggling with I'll post it then, along with the short story I recently wrote if anyone's interested. I didn't put either in my previous post because I didn't want to put them in the thread before knowing whether anyone is interested or not. Also, congratulations Starkess. :D

That's awesome!

Be sure to follow up on that offer! Even if she doesn't rep your genre, she may make an introduction to someone who does.

Color me jealous. :)

Wow, that sounds really promising! Wish I could bump into a lit agent like that. :-D

Wow that's amazing, *through gritted teeth* congratulations... :P

Yeah it was definitely a double-take moment for me! I had to gather my nerve up to be all casual like "Oh, yeah, I've been submitting to agents." I almost let it go without comment! I really suck at networking and such, so hopefully I don't get too shy to follow up. Lucky for me, although the wedding was in Penn, she actually lives here in SD as does our mutual friend, so I'll definitely be seeing her again. And she's awesome, so yay for new friends too!

Hi folks!

Just had some great news last week. Penumbra e-magazine accepted my story "Little Green Soldiers" in their December issue! (the theme was Family Traditions)

The magazine is not quite SFWA qualified but they pay the pro-rates, so hopefully they soon will be! In any event, its my first pro-sale of a story!!

Hi folks!

Just had some great news last week. Penumbra e-magazine accepted my story "Little Green Soldiers" in their December issue! (the theme was Family Traditions)

The magazine is not quite SFWA qualified but they pay the pro-rates, so hopefully they soon will be! In any event, its my first pro-sale of a story!!

Go you!

Hi folks!

Congratulations!

Hi folks!

Congratulations! :cheers:

Archived