Goodkind 53: We Don't Need No Stinking Magic!

Myshkin

It's not just that the usual level of daft plot devices has increased somewhat. It's that the sentence-level syntax has gone down so much that it feels like the author is having to write this as an elementary ESL assignment. I say this as someone who has two years' experience teaching ESL in a middle school setting. The prose is just so uniformly poor that it's hard to mock at times; you just want to finish it because there's a sense of embarrassment felt for the writer having to have people read this.

Then again, at least there's the now-infamous Cerulean Scroll to add to the litany of Goodkindisms. That and a horrendous retelling of the Mouse and the Lion with Kahlan playing the role of the Mouse.

>>>Isn't the Bloody Nine State just a rip off of Dick in Full on Seekerness?<<<

If you are referencing the LoN, I cannot even keep up with how much the man wiffle waffles on whether or not that book is even tied into SoT. Supposedly it wasn't supposed to it was a stand alone story but with using familiar names and such it was a "wink" to long time fans. However now it supposedly does tie in but you don't have to have read the SoT series to understand. At this point I am sincerely lost as to whether LoN incorporated at all into SoT.

>>>Isn't the Bloody Nine State just a rip off of Dick in Full on Seekerness?<<<

If you are referencing the LoN, I cannot even keep up with how much the man wiffle waffles on whether or not that book is even tied into SoT. Supposedly it wasn't supposed to it was a stand alone story but with using familiar names and such it was a "wink" to long time fans. However now it supposedly does tie in but you don't have to have read the SoT series to understand. At this point I am sincerely lost as to whether LoN incorporated at all into SoT.

I haven't read it, but isn't the chick in LoN sent directly, and explicitly from Dickland?

I haven't read it, but isn't the chick in LoN sent directly, and explicitly from Dickland?

Yes, she is a descendant of Kahlan while the guy is a descendant of Richard's sister that he banished to the non magic world where she is also barred from the afterlife. Yet magic somehow can send people to the unmagical world and also send them back...... but there is still lots of S & M and the rahl descendant is thankfully still the only person allowed to be able to think and reason. So its totally different than the SoT series. Completely.

I volunteer at a used book store, and today I saw Stone of Tears. So I opened it to a random page in the middle of the book and the first thing I saw was "But I be cold. I no like cold" Nope.

I think that was one of the Mud People.

So what's the new wizard's rule in this book? Is it as good as "people are stupid", or the one which simply states "Cut"?

Apparently it's "There have always been those who hate, and there always will be." Or, you know, basically "Haters gonna hate." But then the wizard's rules have always been about as profound as the average Internet meme.

Apparently it's "There have always been those who hate, and there always will be." Or, you know, basically "Haters gonna hate." But then the wizard's rules have always been about as profound as the average Internet meme.

So.... it's about us? That's neat, though "Cut" is still my favorite.

ETA: How are these "wizard's" rules anyway? I mean aside from being stupid, they're all pretty universally applicable. What I'm saying is that there's nothing about any of them that I can remember that would specifically apply to wizards and no one else.

Archived