Metal Thread Vol. VII - Awaiting the hour of reprisal

Ferrum Aeternum

Has anyone heard of this band Gwynbleidd?

I stumbled across this cd at a local thrift store, and the album cover seemed intriguing, so a grabbed it. On closer inspection, it's all dead flowers and that same faux antique picture/ 2002 gritty photoshop treatment that a thousand sad screami bands had. It's on Black Currant Music, which I've never heard if either.... Uh oh, this is going to be some gothy, depressive dirges or something. Fuck it, it's $2, if it sucks no great loss, I can sell it back at Newbs. Well I get home, put it on, and fuck if isn't pretty goddamned good. Kind of Negura Bunget/Dordeduh vibe, but replace the traditional folky stuff with Agalloch ish acoustic parts.

Second time through now, and this shit is really blowing my skirt up.

Couldn't find a band camp, but there's some shit on YouTube

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfm2Wtmz6IA

Yeah, Gwynbleidd is great. They're a Brooklyn (or at least NYC) band. We got to see them once a few years back and they kicked ass live, plus they were really friendly guys to hang out and talk with afterwards.

I've heard them practicing a number of times as well -- their practice space is right down the hall from where my last (very much not at all metal) band practiced.

Right? They added some new ones since I posted that... The Poe one is gnarly, but I think the crab one is my favorite (took me a few minutes to "see" the crab)

Well, I'd get me the Poe one. But unfortunately, I'm not in the US.

Yeah, Gwynbleidd is great. They're a Brooklyn (or at least NYC) band. We got to see them once a few years back and they kicked ass live, plus they were really friendly guys to hang out and talk with afterwards.

I've heard them practicing a number of times as well -- their practice space is right down the hall from where my last (very much not at all metal) band practiced.

That's awesome. I'm glad to hear they are cool guys, I was starting to worry about why this CD was just given away, and if they would turn out to be some NSBM or something shitty like that (though they don't really sound like the type). Good to know that's not the case, and makes this serendipitous find all the better.

Ferrum Aeternum, I feel like you'd really dig these guys...

Ferrum Aeternum, I feel like you'd really dig these guys...

*summon Ferrum spell successful*

You are correct good sir. I fucking love that song! Checking out their album right now on iTunes...

ETA: Under "Listeners also bought" on iTunes - Cormorant, Daylight Dies and Fen. Got a good feeling about this one. :)

*summon Ferrum spell successful*

You are correct good sir. I fucking love that song! Checking out their album right now on iTunes...

ETA: Under "Listeners also bought" on iTunes - Cormorant, Daylight Dies and Fen. Got a good feeling about this one. :)

Whoa, there's a metal band called Cormorant? I totally need to check that out (and apparently get out more...)

Sweet hell that's cool shit. Just listened to that track, an it's like someone took my memories of smoking weed as a kid in NH, eating mushrooms, and visiting the Galapagos, and put them in a blender. I just drank that smoothie, and feel pretty badass about it.

That cover art is also amazing.

Which country has the best metal bands? Germany! Don't take this too seriously...

I just want to say "Hi fellow Metalheads!" And show you five of my favourite bands of my country of origin! (Don' know if someone mentioned them already.)

Equilibrium! Epic Folk/Viking Metal. German Lyrics. Great mix of Melody, Black/Folk and great vocals!

Zero Degree! Melodic Death Metal at it's finest. English Lyrics.

Blind Guardian! I guess you know this band already. German Powermetal with lyrics influenced by The Wheel of Time, JRRTokien, ASoIaF and other books or history.

Then there is Suidakra. A great mix of Black/Death/Melodeath/Folk/Viking/Power. Lyrics mostly english. Celtic Mythology.

Orden Ogan. Called "The new Blind Guardian!" English Lyrics. Powerful Power Metal!

Satan destroyed all comers last night. Fucking awesome show.

alas no satan for me. i blame jesus for this. his apparent return from the dead and the three hundred followers who want to eat in his honor sunday have caused me to cancel my plans and work allweek instead of having a day off and reveling. boo.

and to think ini and i were going to burn baltimore to the ground wednesday!

Which country has the best metal bands? Germany! Don't take this too seriously...

I just want to say "Hi fellow Metalheads!" And show you five of my favourite bands of my country of origin! (Don' know if someone mentioned them already.)

Equilibrium! Epic Folk/Viking Metal. German Lyrics. Great mix of Melody, Black/Folk and great vocals!

Blind Guardian! I guess you know this band already. German Powermetal with lyrics influenced by The Wheel of Time, JRRTokien, ASoIaF and other books or history.

Then there is Suidakra. A great mix of Black/Death/Melodeath/Folk/Viking/Power. Lyrics mostly english. Celtic Mythology.

Orden Ogan. Called "The new Blind Guardian!" English Lyrics. Powerful Power Metal!

I haven't listened to Zero Degree yet, but I can attest that all the others are great. :thumbsup:

You also left out a few. Vanden Plas and Beyond the Bridge are two of my favorite prog metal acts of the last 10 years.

Iron Savior and Primal Fear aren't quite as fresh as they once were, but both still churn out solid, dependable power metal every few years.

There's probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

I haven't listened to Zero Degree yet, but I can attest that all the others are great. :thumbsup:

You also left out a few. Vanden Plas and Beyond the Bridge are two of my favorite prog metal acts of the last 10 years.

Iron Savior and Primal Fear aren't quite as fresh as they once were, but both still churn out solid, dependable power metal every few years.

There's probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

There are tons of great German metal bands! I just wanted du restrict myself to 5 of the greatest^^

Thank you for this post. =o)

\m/...\m/

Greetings to my brother, Ferrum. :cheers:

Thank you for this post. =o)

\m/...\m/

Greetings to my brother, Ferrum. :cheers:

No problem :)

Cheers, bro! :cheers:

And I can't believe I forgot Kreator when naming awesome German bands. :dunno:

Kreator are great! Favourite song is Enemy of God. I get chills at the last minute everytime I listen to it!

There are tons of great German metal bands! I just wanted du restrict myself to 5 of the greatest^^

too bad none of those you named belong into that group :P

in all seriousness though, Nagelfar is easily the greatest. After that, in no particular order, Secrets of the Moon, Ascension, Todtgelichter, Graupel, Imperium Dekadenz and Lunar Aurora.

Archived