Who Do You Feel Sorry For?

Lady Asha

Who do I feel sorry for...........me, waiting for The Winds of War, and everyone else that's waiting, too. Then, we get to wait some more for book 7, OH YAY and LOL

A character I feel the most sorry for is hard, the characters inspire lots of differing emotions, right now off the top of my head, I might say Jeyne Pool, the Fake Arya. From the moment she was yanked out of Sana's room in a GOT, I can't imagine what she must have been through, being turned over to Little Finger and 'trained' can't have been fun, but the poor girl seemed to get through it and survive, only to be handed off to someone for whom one cannot be trained. Awful, and even after her flight, she's losing a nose, at least partially, from frostbite, if I recall, and let's face it, that girl's scars are more than skin deep.

I really feel for Tysha, even though we don't get to know her. Seems she saw past Tyrion's physical self and fell in love with a smart, funny, compassionate mind... and only had two weeks with him before getting gang-raped and banished for her troubles. Hopefully wherever whores go there's sun, sand and lots of Arbor Gold.

You clearly aren't joking so I have to wonder what you've been smoking. :eek:

Ramsay is a sociopath, he doesn't have ASPD.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is mainly characterized by a lacking disregard for the rights of others, lack of empathy, conssumate lying, reckless impulsiveness, agressiveness and irresponsibility (and some other things). Ramsay Bolton is a textbook example of this, and twisted to it's worst. Joffrey as well, I believe. And since it's genetic and not something that can't be cured, it would theoretically be possible to feel sorry for them. Same with The Mountain who presumably suffers from a tumor which causes his insane growth and his vicous migraines.

Also, a Psychopath/Sociopath may very well be a sufferer of ASPD (and likely is, I believe), since Psychopathy/Sociopathy basically is characterized by of the same things as ASPD.

I don't feel sorry for Ramsay, Joffrey or Gregor though. They are monsters, and suffering from a personality disorder or other affliction does not excuse their vile deeds. Burn Ramsay I say. Burn him! Or flay him and feed him to the dogs. Or both.

For me it's Arya, by a longshot. From the end of AGoT she has, seen her father beheaded, lost close friends, almost been murdered and/or raped, and had to eek through her life, and I do mean eek. By ASoS we feel that she genuinely is getting to a better place and the rug is viciously pulled out from under everyone's feet and she practically witnesses the deaths of her brother and mother. Arya Stark has had the most arduous go of it for any character in the series, at this point she assumes her whole family has been murdered (I can't remember whether she thinks Sansa is alive). Unlike her siblings, Arya is just beginning to make the most proactive crusade against the conspirators who have brought so much tragedy to her family.

Sansa and Jamie have grown on me tremendously, but I doubt I will ever be sorrowful for Theon.

The small-folk. They suffer as a direct result of "the game of thrones". What's worse is that hardly anyone outside of the BWB and (most) Northerners seem to care. To me its disgusting.

When did the Northerners ever care about their smallfolk more then the Southerners?

I feel bad for the Stark Family, Tully Family, Jeyne Poole, Weasel, Shireen Baratheon, Tommen "Baratheon", Myrcella "Baratheon", Robert Arryn, Theon Greyjoy, Brienne, Elia Martell and kids, Quenton Martell, Lysa Arryn, etc.

I feel bad for Tywin, based off of what happened to him before the books. By all accounts he was a brilliant hand, and gave the realm many years of peace and prosperity, and what did it get him? A mad king's envy. Aerys refused to marry Rhaegar to Cersei and took his prized heir as a hostage. I know Tywin isn't a sympathetic character to many people, but I think he was a man who did what was needed and never got the credit he deserved.

This. Viserys is fascinating to me, I wish he had lived a bit longer. I feel sorry for him in a weird way, I think the poor thing had the weight of the world on his shoulders and it drove him bloody mad.

Yeah. Dany muses how once upon a time, Viserys was kinder and gentler. But the constant moving around after Ser Willem died, and selling Rhaella's crown made Viserys crack like an egg. He was about 8 when he was forced out of Westeros. Seems to be around 13 years old or so when they were forced out of the house with the red door. He had very little in the way of education after leaving Westeros, and the constant fear of assassination always looming. Trying to keep himself and Dany fed and alive....Viserys wasnt strong enough to deal with that. Doesnt excuse him from being an asshole to his sister, but i still feel sorry for him. "That is all i wanted.." :(

I feel sorry for Bran. He was just playing. Just being a kid at home. He saw something and ended up crippled for his trouble. His parents bolted before he even woke up. He woke up with just Robb, Rickon, and Maester Luwin there. Almost everyone he was familiar with were gone away. Bran had big dreams for such a little guy. He wanted to be Ser Brandon Stark one day and fight for Robb and/or Ned. He didnt wish for a beautiful lady wife or a castle, he just wanted to be a Ser. All that was dashed the day he fell. On top of that, his home gets razed and hes forced to flee. He is at the mercy of the Reeds and Hodor. While he loves them, they arent his parents/family. He had to see his baby brother go away with Osha. Bran witnessed the horrors of what lies Beyond the Wall. All the while, coping with wonky psychic powers, which is kind of heavy for a kid. Then he finally finds himself in a cave with a creepy albino tree guy and the Children. :(

I feel sorry for Arya. Once upon a time, she was just like me as a kid. A tomboy who wanted to make her own choices and enjoy her childhood. But that came to ruin the day Syrio told her to run. Ever since, her mind became more and more fractured due to her heart being shattered. Now she thinks back to periods of herself as "names" more than memories. She has seen nothing but blood and horror since Syrio told her to run. She heard the sword come down on her father's head, her sister's screams...She has seen her "pack mates" leave her or die. Her entire sense of security is ruined. The only thing she wants to remember about Arya Stark is Jon Snow's smile. :crying:

I feel sorry for Brienne. She could never be what her father hoped. So she became the only thing she knew would work for her. Something resembling a knight. Unlike every other knight, she held the oaths close to her heart. She wanted nothing but to serve Renly. She knew he would never love her back the way she loved him, but it was enough for to be a member of his Kingsguard. She witnessed his death and thats when her world totally collapsed. Cat gave her a new hope, but that turned out to be harder than anything Brienne faced so far. Shes finding herself to cherish some odd feelings for a man who she found initially repulsive. Her dilemma of choosing what to follow, her heart or her oaths, is pretty sad. :(

I feel sorry for Shireen Baratheon. Shes just a child. She just wants to be a good girl to please her parents. But the greyscale made her mother repulsed by her. Her father sees differently but he cannot seem to express this quite properly to Shireen. So she may never know just how her father felt. She may never hear the words "If i fall, my daughter shall be my heir." directly from him. Every vassal of her House (and her mother's) finds Shireen repulsive or disfigured. They want little to nothing to do with her. So all Shireen has is this creepy fucking clown named Patchface as a "friend". Shireen blushes when Jon speaks to her because hes the first person to acknowledge her by her bearing and rank. Poor Shireen has never known what it felt like to be a Lady. Holed up in Dragonstone for most of her life as nothing more than a footnote. (If Val kills this little girl, ill hate her forever!) :frown5:

Every vassal of her House (and her mother's) finds Shireen repulsive or disfigured. They want little to nothing to do with her. So all Shireen has is this creepy fucking clown named Patchface as a "friend". Shireen blushes when Jon speaks to her because hes the first person to acknowledge her by her bearing and rank.

Well there is Davos...

I feel sorry for Sansa. Her "world" was that of a song. A lady is a lady, a knight is strong and gallant, a prince is beautiful, a queen is something to strive to be. She didnt want to be queen to rule and be above everyone, she wanted to be queen simply for the fairy tale. But her prince was not beautiful, he was cruel. Her knight was a drunken sod with little in the way of empathy. Her Lady was killed. Her queen was a manipulative and terrible person. She watched as her father's head was removed from his shoulders. Sansa felt like she tried so hard to "fix" the mess but it just got worse. Now her sister is missing. She holds Robb in her heart as "the hero that will save her from this awful place and slay the evil prince." But Robb never comes. All that comes is news of the slaughter of her heroic brother, her mother, and the bannermen. She is forced to marry a man she doesnt want. A man who's family destroyed her own. Sansa feels it her duty to do what is expected. She tells herself that she must wear a lady's armor and tell everyone what they want to hear. Her one hope spot was dashed upon this gods forsaken marriage. Now she is in the clutches of a man who would rather despoil her himself, and manipulate her for his own personal gain. Sansa is blamed for Joffrey's death but knows she had nothing really to do with it. She sees her aunt, the last remaining member of her family not named Jon Snow, flip her shit and try to kill her. She sees her aunt die by the hands of Littlefinger. Sansa longed for her childhood to return. For her family to return. Sansa just wants someone to love her for herself, so thats why she remembers the burned knight kissing her.

:(

Well there is Davos...

Shireen probably believes her Onion Knight is dead. :(

This. Viserys is fascinating to me, I wish he had lived a bit longer. I feel sorry for him in a weird way, I think the poor thing had the weight of the world on his shoulders and it drove him bloody mad.

I agree about Viserys and I think he went mad to early in life. He's one of the very few characters where you can honestly say that he is the cause of his environment.

I feel sorry for Jeyne Poole. She knew she was only the steward's daughter, but she had big dreams. She wanted to marry a gallant knight. She knew she couldnt shoot for a man with a major name, but a good looking knight with tourney wins under his belt would do enough. She was Sansa's friend and had similar ideals. King's Landing was a big new place with new faces, new dresses to wear. She would be resigned to be Sansa's handmaiden if necessary. For Jeyne to be a handmaid to the girl who was going to be queen one day, it was like the dream was coming true. She had no idea that her father would wind up dead, her lord would be captured and executed. Or that she would become something else. She was crying. Her friend didnt understand what was going on, but tried to comfort her. Sansa was called away to see the queen, but Jeyne...she was taken by Littlefinger. She then, was taken to a brothel where she would "learn things." All sense of normalcy was gone. While enduring this horrific "training", she was then told to pose as her friend's sister. "You want me to be Arya Horseface? Why?" Her answer was worse than anything poor Jeyne could ever imagine. She was told to become Arya and marry the bastard of Bolton. Perhaps she felt she could escape the horrors of the "training" then, but no. More horrors awaited. Her new husband was the truly worst man in all of the Seven Kingdoms. Jeyne was able to "go home" but that home was a burned ruin. Her wedding was a sham. Her wedding night was a nightmare made real. The dogs...why were the dogs doing this? Why is the man she once knew as Theon Greyjoy so broken? Why was he...doing these things? All she could do was cry while her husband laughed. Jeyne had to keep up the ruse just to live. Theon took her away and she was glad, but there were still horrors to face. The winter had come, people were dying mysteriously, and then there was Stannis and the men pressing her with questions. What if they found out she wasnt really Arya? Even the mysterious washerwomen shook their heads at her with pity.

Poor Jeyne. :frown5:

I feel bad for Tywin, based off of what happened to him before the books. By all accounts he was a brilliant hand, and gave the realm many years of peace and prosperity, and what did it get him? A mad king's envy. Aerys refused to marry Rhaegar to Cersei and took his prized heir as a hostage. I know Tywin isn't a sympathetic character to many people, but I think he was a man who did what was needed and never got the credit he deserved.

I don't think Tywin deserved to die the way he did. He led a great life- if questionably moral- but great. He was brilliant and truthfully, he was sort of the king of thankless tasks. He was basically a king without the crown or the credit.

It's sort of perverse to be killed by your own son on the potty. I mean, I think he deserved more dignity than that.

The small-folk. They suffer as a direct result of "the game of thrones". What's worse is that hardly anyone outside of the BWB and (most) Northerners seem to care. To me its disgusting.

Nobody cares about the small folk. Its sort of a timeless, universal theme. Big men behind stone walls start wars and the small men behind straw get slaughtered for it. Especially the women. Rape a palooza.

I don't think Tywin deserved to die the way he did.

I agree he should have had a massive paralyzing stroke so he could have been alive as he helplessly watched Cersei drive his house down the gutter before passing away in disgrace.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is mainly characterized by a lacking disregard for the rights of others, lack of empathy, conssumate lying, reckless impulsiveness, agressiveness and irresponsibility (and some other things). Ramsay Bolton is a textbook example of this, and twisted to it's worst. Joffrey as well, I believe. And since it's genetic and not something that can't be cured, it would theoretically be possible to feel sorry for them. Same with The Mountain who presumably suffers from a tumor which causes his insane growth and his vicous migraines.

Also, a Psychopath/Sociopath may very well be a sufferer of ASPD (and likely is, I believe), since Psychopathy/Sociopathy basically is characterized by of the same things as ASPD.

I don't feel sorry for Ramsay, Joffrey or Gregor though. They are monsters, and suffering from a personality disorder or other affliction does not excuse their vile deeds. Burn Ramsay I say. Burn him! Or flay him and feed him to the dogs. Or both.

Some people are just evil. I know this fact, very, very well.

Archived