Football 53: Come on feel the Moyes!

Xray the Enforcer

I had a serious talk with a real Madrid fan today.

His side just suffered a defeat. He was broken up over it. He asked respectfully why I am torn up after a loss? He thought one would get used to loss and it would become easier.

Nope.

Even when we lose games that I expect to lose it sucks. Even then as the goals rack up my stomach hurts and I feel anxious and aggressive.

When I get home I may pour a scotch and watch the win over United from a couple seasons ago. I keep a few special Newcastle games on the dvr for when I really need it.

Still not feeling well. The toon are a mess. ...again.

Alex, your commentary of Newcastle's woes reeks too much of joy at their plight. Remember. We are going to be hanging out Friday. Hate to have you go missing while visiting the states.

More shocked bewilderment. I couldn't quite process what was happening to Newcastle...

What I've seen of Lukaku so far is mixed. Mostly good - he's good both in the air and on the ground, he scores, he holds up well etc..

However: he struggles if defenders manage to get close. If they are constantly at his back, he gives the ball away all too easily. Little bit of a worry.

Also, we have problems with high pressing teams. We're trying to play ourselves out of defense, but most of our players are only comfortable with short passes - they don't have the vision to hit it crossfield. Which makes the pressing game easier - swamp us in one area, and you'll end up with the ball, most likely, we don't have the players to move it to the opposite wing.

I can imagine Sturridge playing for England even though he isn't fully fit yet.

in all fairness, if he's fit enough to play full 90 minutes for liverpool, he should be fit to play for england as well.

i really don't get whining about players playing for their international teams.

they should play whenever possible.

every kid playing football, whether in an organized league or just for fun with other neighborhood kids dreams of winning the world cup, not champions league and certainly not domestic league titles.

look at the most often used argument for messi as the GOAT football player - he's never had any success with argentina.

and it's spot on as far as i'm concerned.

I really don't understand. We're three up, and Newcastle are looking like shit. Then we decide to turn off, because.. I have no idea. First fifteen of the second half, we're not even trying. See for example James McCarthy deciding not to press Cabaye for the goal. No desire to work.

Then we get the game under control again, but fail to score, and lo and behold! we get a nervy finish when we defend like .. well, Newcastle. And we seem hell-bent on giving them the chance to equalize. Thankfully that didn't happen.

That's two games in a row now, where we've just let the other team in after starting brightly. I don't like this trend, and I fear for our meeting w/City at the weekend.

at least you get 3 up before turning off and get the game under control again after.

from what i've seen of liverpool this season, they get one up, turn off and defend for their lives for the rest of the game.

admitedly, i haven't seen matches against sunderland and southampton.

look at the most often used argument for messi as the GOAT football player - he's never had any success with argentina.

and it's spot on as far as i'm concerned.

Really? Because all it tells me is that people use a completely different standard, based more on narratives to judge the GOAT than I do. The best is the best whether or not the journalists can create a nice little montage with him holding a trophy with the "giants of 2006/2012" or whatever.

Also MC has probably killed my ability to enjoy the pain of Newcastle fans, which, considering who is in charge over there, is a bit like nuking all the gold in the Federal Reserve.

Messi isn't GOAT in my book, and part of that is his record with Argentina.

The point, though, is that Maradona - the best player I've seen - dominated wherever he was. Spain, Italy, Argentina - put him in a team and they were wonderful. Messi is exceptional, but he's no Maradona.

Really? Because all it tells me is that people use a completely different standard, based more on narratives to judge the GOAT than I do. The best is the best whether or not the journalists can create a nice little montage with him holding a trophy with the "giants of 2006/2012" or whatever.

the world cup is the most prestigious tournament in football.

every player has a maximum of 4-5 chances to win it during his career as opposed to 15 shots at every other trophy there is.

also, unlike the club, national team can't really sign the missing key player to improve their chances of winning it.

3 world cup titles are why pele is still counted as GOAT by some/most.

The argument that you "need" to win the World Cup to be considered the "greatest ever", is kind of silly. It'd exclude about 95% of countries automatically. I get that "it needs to be done on the big stage", is a fair argument but I think Messi has done that with Argentina. I'd not rule out Argentina winning a World Cup, anyway. They've lost the hindrance of Maradonna as a coach, which is a beautful thing.

Kind of pessimistic about Chelsea's chances tonight. Really do feel we need a win, in all honesty but I don't think it'll be got. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but eh. It'll be a tough place to go, and I see us drawing. I mean it doesn't make qualification impossible as we can definitely win in Basel, beast Steaua at home and take 4 points against Schalke, but that's all things we could do and it won't be easy.

Arsenal/Napoli should be a cracker, though. Win for Arsenal puts them in a very strong position with Dortmund up next.

i am most shocked at the explanation - linesmen saw it so nothing can be done about it :blink:

how can a linesman see it and do nothing about it?

what will f.a. do about it?

it is beyond ridiculous to leave it at this.

The argument that you "need" to win the World Cup to be considered the "greatest ever", is kind of silly. It'd exclude about 95% of countries automatically. I get that "it needs to be done on the big stage", is a fair argument but I think Messi has done that with Argentina. I'd not rule out Argentina winning a World Cup, anyway. They've lost the hindrance of Maradonna as a coach, which is a beautful thing.

there is no bigger stage than the world cup and there are no games more emotional. those are the games where the cream rises to the top.

yes, the requirement that you should win the world cup to be considered the greatest ever does rule out 95% of the countries. you want to know why that is? because 95% of the countries will never get to make the greatest footballer ever. as much as we all like cinderella stories, that's just the way it is.

messi plays for argentina, who has already won the world cup, who has the tradition of great players and is quite strong at the moment.

it's not as if he has the mission impossible of taking wales all the way like giggs had, or bale has now.

Like I said, the whole thing is about narratives. I'm not so sure that it's a bad thing because otherwise how do you measure teams from different decades but I think journos hit lean on it too hard to create some artificial challenge. A player for me is judged based on his talent, not how he can slot into a story or trophy cabinet.

you want to know why that is? because 95% of the countries will never get to make the greatest footballer ever.

I am pretty sure it's going to be higher than 95% if we assume one single greatest ;) But that's just being pedantic.

I mean, if the argument is you'll win it and elevate those around you...I kind of get that, but Maradonna never done the Champions League with Napoli did he? In fact (iirc) they didn't perform particularly well in his two seasons there. He won the World Cup that was held in South America, I guess we'll see how Messi's argentina do in their South American World Cup.

I would argue that for a player, the Champions League Final is as big a stage as the World Cup Final these days. The standard of football is certainly comparable, if not higher.

I'd be interested to see comparable viewing figures for the two finals if anyone has them? The last Champions League final hit over a billion around the world I believe.

I am pretty sure it's going to be higher than 95% if we assume one single greatest ;) But that's just being pedantic.

I mean, if the argument is you'll win it and elevate those around you...I kind of get that, but Maradonna never done the Champions League with Napoli did he? In fact (iirc) they didn't perform particularly well in his two seasons there. He won the World Cup that was held in South America, I guess we'll see how Messi's argentina do in their South American World Cup.

maradona made napoli win italian title, which it had never done before. not only that, they won a double!

before signing him, napoli were in a relegation battle ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.S.C._Napoli#Napoli_on_the_rise:_Maradona_era

I would argue that for a player, the Champions League Final is as big a stage as the World Cup Final these days. The standard of football is certainly comparable, if not higher.

as i already said, a player gets 15-ish shots at champions league in his career, but only 4-5 to win the world cup (and that's if he's lucky).

also, the world cup finals is the crown of the month of football and festivities.

champions league final is prestigious, no doubt about that and i'm not trying to claim otherwise.

it's just that winning the world cup is more so due to specific circumstances i described earlier.

Archived