Why Aegon might not be fake after all

Panos Targaryen

Which makes it all the more strange that Aegon never set up an open court in exile -- a rallying point for the Dornish, Tyrells, Darrys, whoever. That's how you "do it" if you want to rally support and stage a successful comeback. The Edward IV and Henry VII playbook. Hiding in the shadows and showing up out of nowhere is what you do if you're a fraud -- the Perkin Warbeck playbook.

Maybe stealth is better. Let the Seven Kingdoms bleed, and then begin to ask the Lords for help. Divide and conquer. Aegon and his allies wouldn't stand a chance against a united Westeros.

That really depends how you look at it. His arrival was speculated long before the fifth book came out. And there's a chance there will be more than seven books.

ETA: If people don't want (f)Aegon to be real because "oh, that would just make me totes upset!" then I have some bad news...

I mean I don't give a damn if he's real, fake, or a mario brother I just simply don't like the character or the machinations that brought him to Westeros.

But Rhaegar was a popular guy, right? Why wouldn't they really to his son?

When I said Rhaegar was popular I meant the smallfolk. For a Lord, Dany or Aegon are both Targaryens, so no difference. But for the average commoner he is the son of Rhaegar, not the Mad King. That would cause unrest in Westeros' armies, as many soldiers are commoners. This unrest wouldn't be able to be caused during peace time. But during war, where people's loyalties are divided and their faith in their lords falters, Aegon would cause chaos.

I will not (verb) shit means No, I won't do it. Think "I won't tell you shit!" Shit=nothing. Just a thugish phrase. I never said your opinion is shit. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thing is you brought everything on yourself, and you even called people hostile for expressing their opinions... Not cool, my friend... But, move it along...

I would believe him if he said the kid was real or if anything in the books actually suggested he was real besides Varys's wordplay and JonCon's utter and complete denial. But everything suggests that the kid is fake, so that's what I believe.

And hell, there are people who still insist the Targaryens are fireproof or that polygamy is illegal despite what the author says.

I think that ambiguity here is the proof itself. Aegon says he is Rhaegar's son and immediately we should all believe him, but then, one after another comes the ambiguous proofs going in different directions. So, for me, this "it could go both ways" certainly is a proof something is shady here...

Regarding that ambiguity surrounding Aegon and proofs pointing at him being Blackfyre, here's the link of my post regarding that.

Thing is you brought everything on yourself, and you even called people hostile for expressing their opinions... Not cool, my friend... But, move it along...

I think that ambiguity here is the proof itself. Aegon says he is Rhaegar's son and immediately we should all believe him, but then, one after another comes the ambiguous proofs going in different directions. So, for me, this "it could go both ways" certainly is a proof something is shady here...

Regarding that ambiguity surrounding Aegon and proofs pointing at him being Blackfyre, here's the link of my post regarding that.

Thing is I didn't call your opinion shit, and I wasn't hostile at anyone before the "deal with it" quote. Show me where I was hostile before that. Anyways, it's late and I'm done here until tommorow.

Ive said it a long time ago, GRRM didnt want us to debate whether or not Aegon is real , so he had our smartest fan favorite character call him out, and had our biggest schemer confirm his exsistance to a dying man. So he is a real Targ. If he isnt than that scene w/ Tyrion on the cinnimon wind was a red herring and Varys' discussion with a dying Kevan lannister is also just a red Herring meant soley to throw us off.

Ive said it a long time ago, GRRM didnt want us to debate whether or not Aegon is real , so he had our smartest fan favorite character call him out, and had our biggest schemer confirm his exsistance to a dying man. So he is a real Targ. If he isnt than that scene w/ Tyrion on the cinnimon wind was a red herring and Varys' discussion with a dying Kevan lannister is also just a red Herring meant soley to throw us off.

Varys didn't confirm anything.

The new quote feature is making it impossible for me to answer multiple posts at once...

\Why didn't (f)Aegon rally support sooner: Who would (f)Aegon's allies be besides the Dornish? Everyone bent their knee to Robert already.

Why would Varys send (f)Aegon to Darry? Because he had the two (legit) royals? I've heard it argued by poster ITT that Varys and Illyrio didn't care about Dany and Viserys at all. So I'm not sure why he would send (f)Aegon to his aunt and uncle.

Also: Jon Arryn told Robert not to send assassins after Dany and Viserys. I checked my facts and I was wrong. Mea culpa.

I was just thinking, there is an official R+L = J topic, and considering all the talk about "fake/real Aegon" shouldn't there be an official discussion about it too ?

At first I believec Aegon was real. I mean Tyrion was the one to discover him. Now, I'm not so sure. But right now, the only characters to really have doubts about his idendity were his opponents...We can't really say it is relevant.

No, the actual thing is you're lecturing people about hidden clues in the text and you can't even parse a simple sentence. And when the guy apologizes for YOUR inadequate understanding of the english language, you try to push your advantage and rub their nose in their imaginary fault.

Good grief, people. Get over yourselves.

You're not making your theory look any smarter.

No, the actual thing is you're lecturing people about hidden clues in the text and you can't even parse a simple sentence. And when the guy apologizes for YOUR inadequate understanding of the english language, you try to push your advantage and rub their nose in their imaginary fault.

Good grief, people. Try getting over yourselves.

Right back at you... Get over yourself...

Dang. I saw this thread and thought it was everything AM wanted in response to her own 'prove to me why he's the real deal' thread, and now I'm reading the first page and am like o_0.

The "proof" was nowhere near sufficient. Apparently having a child at around the same age and complexion as Aegon is less likely than Varys predicting everything about what would happen after the Trident, right down to what state Aegon's body would be in.

If Martin wanted to confirm he is reaal, he would have just letted JC be with him from the day after he was rescued.

I'm sure I'll be content with whatever GRRM writes, as long as he doesn't have Illyrio and Varys giving up a son, 20 years of their life and tons of trouble and money banking on the fact that they can raise a kid to be the perfect king and people will just rally to him if he claims to be the "rightful heir". With a supposedly dead sellsword who met the boy when he was six as their only witness.

But I guess logic is in the eye of the beholder.

If GRRM wanted us to believe he was real, then why did he bother with all the symbolism and foreshadowing (eg rusty dragon sign) and making a big deal out of the Golden Company's Blackfyre roots and the fact that they never break contract? The red herring is most likely the more obvious, which would be Varys confirming (except he actually doesn't) that Aegon is real.

I like how Tyrion is used as argument in all possible scenarios:

1. If you believe Aegon is real, people will say to you that "smartest" character (the one who was fooled by his 13 year-old wife who most of fans consider stupid) figured it all and that we shouldn't doubt Tyrion's judgement.

2. If you believe Aegon is false, somehow people will, without textual proofs, say that Tyrion figured it all and that we "don't know" whether Tyrion accepted the version he was given (regardless of the fact he thinks of boy as Rhaegar's son)

Archived