The Duel for Catelyn's Hand

Tywin Manderly

You know, I think he would, if this duel was "official" like a trial by combat is. He'd hate the result, but the law is the law. Then he'd pine about having lost the investment Catelyn represented or something.

If it was just some unofficial thing between the boys with Edmure officiating, then he might do as he liked.

If it worked that way, the best fighters who aren't the most eligible bachelors, would use this procedure all the time to get to marry princesses and daughters of the Lords Paramount. But such cases aren't ever mentioned.

You know, I think he would, if this duel was "official" like a trial by combat is. He'd hate the result, but the law is the law. Then he'd pine about having lost the investment Catelyn represented or something.

If it was just some unofficial thing between the boys with Edmure officiating, then he might do as he liked.

Hoster would never have allowed the duel to proceed if that was the case, in how he isn't going to be willing to lose his investment or force his beloved daughter into a lowly match that is beneath her.

If it worked that way, best fighters who aren't the most eligible bachelors, would use this procedure all the time to get to marry princesses and daughters of the Lords Paramount. But such cases aren't ever mentioned, So I don't think that's how it works.

People could simply not accept the challenge. It could be that that is a reason that there are no cases ever mentioned. Besides, two men fighting about a woman, and the winner getting to take her home to be his wife, sounds like something from a fairy tale, or one of Sansa's songs. :)

Well, if Hoster and Rickard/Brandon agreed to a duel, similar to a trial by combat, wouldn't LF have to marry Catelyn to uphold the law??

Why would Hoster ever agree to anything with such a high risk even if he was sure that LF was likely to lose? In how he was willing to force his younger daughter to have an abortion and marry a man older then him rather then just marry her to LF.

Why would Hoster ever agree to anything with such a high risk even if he was sure that LF was likely to lose? In how he was willing to force his younger daughter to have an abortion and marry a man older then him rather then just marry her to LF.

I'm not sure of the answer to that question. I said IF he agreed to it. The 'why' he would agree to it, is an answer I don't know. But, essentially killing a ward you were sworn to protect, seems stupid unless there was a reason behind it. If LF died because Brandon just killed him in duel that was meaningless, that would bring dishonor upon House Tully. Yet, if LF died trying to win favor, then that's completely different, IMO.

I'm not sure of the answer to that question. I said IF he agreed to it. The 'why' he would agree to it, is an answer I don't know. But, essentially killing a ward you were sworn to protect, seems stupid unless there was a reason behind it. If LF died because Brandon just killed him in duel that was meaningless, that would bring dishonor upon House Tully. Yet, if LF died trying to win favor, then that's completely different, IMO.

My impression is that LF challenged Brandon to a duel, and Brandon agreed to it. Brandon doesn't strike me as the type who would take advice from Hoster on what to do. It would make him look weak and he was probably extremely confident he could beat LF.

But, Hoster wouldn't have killed him either way thus he wouldn't be dishonored in either situation. I don't anyone would judge Hoster poorly if his ward went out and got himself killed by engaging in unapproved duel despite the wishes of Hoster. Simply, as it would be clearly on LF's head alone.

In contrast, it might be worse if Hoster gave permission as it could be seen that he gave his tactful support to his ward's suicidal decision.

My impression is that LF challenged Brandon to a duel, and Brandon agreed to it. Brandon doesn't strike me as the type who would take advice from Hoster on what to do. It would make him look weak and he was probably extremely confident he could beat LF.

This! :agree:

What about Littlefinger challenging Brandon for is a duel for Catelyn's hand was sneaky plan by him to get the betrothal cancelled by Lord Rickard Stark who might have been deeply insulted that a ward of Hoster Tully would be so insolent?

What about Littlefinger challenging Brandon for is a duel for Catelyn's hand was sneaky plan by him to get the betrothal cancelled by Lord Rickard Stark who might have been deeply insulted that a ward of Hoster Tully would be so insolent?

I don't think Rickard and Hoster are going to break a marriage alliance just because Hoster's ward is being an idiot. Especially, if Hoster makes it clear that he disapproves the action.

Especially as he actually tried to get Catelyn to give him a favour to wear during the duel. If he had managed to get her to do that, then the betrothal would surely have been off.

Archived