Is Batman the Greatest Hero Ever?

Fragile Bird

Well I ask then, if Batman is not the greatest hero, who is and why?

I can't name the most heroic but I can name several who are more heroic in my opinion. Like the other poster, do you many heroic or greatest as in "most awesome/kick-ass"?

I'd say Captain America is more heroic and I don't even like the character. Any hero who lays down their life for their cause is pretty damn good too, although most super ones come back meaning it isn't a huge sacrifice.

In the comics Superman does an amazing job of not killing anyone and given the fact he could literally level the planet and make everyone behave says a lot about his nature.

Spider-man does pretty much the same job as Batman but does so without unlimted cash (until he joined the Avengers, I guess)

Rorschach had much more conviction.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples. In terms of power he's easily beaten.

But he's probably one of the toughest super-heroes out there without a doubt and while his not killing is a bit idiotic given the repeat offenders he deals with it still shows admirable constraint. I also love it when he puts down other heroes.

Greatest means most beloved IMO, and the Bat is right up there with Superman & the Hulk in that regard. I'm wearing a Batman T-shirt right now. Everyone knows who Batman is and recognizes his trademark symbols and accoutrements. He's the brains of the Justice League. He is definitely in the running for Greatest Super Hero.

Batman's probably my favourite superhero, but I always found the 'he's got no superpowers, he's just an ordinary guy' claim a tad... well, wrong.

No doubt- people tend to forget that Bruce Wayne is Super Rich a la Tony Stark. That is one hell of a Super power.

In terms of most loved it's hard to argue Batman is at the top. His solo book is consistently the best selling of late and only "event" books tend to beat it. Other than that it has been selling over 100K a month with no sign of attrition. Granted, the current team are doing a good job but I think Batman is one of those characters where people want to like the title. Stick a team that does a good job and you're guaranteed a top 5 book.

Looking at Batman's success over the last 80 years though and I think it's fair to say he's consistently been a top character and his move into other media be it cartoons, films or games has usually worked out really well. And when they don't work he always seems to bounce back.

Probably anyone with reality warping powers could take Doctor Manhattan over their knee and give him a spanking tbh. The Doctor from The Authority for example. Jenny Quantum too, given that she was basically a souped up version of Manhattan in the first place (before the New 52 scaled her back, which was probably a good decision which they then ruined by replacing her entirely with some stranger called Jenny Soul, the pricks).

But anyway, on topic: if we're talking just comic book superheroes, then Bats probably does take it for me. But if we're talking any hero, then I'd take the previously mentioned John Constantine and The Doctor (the telly one, not the Authority one) over him. Constantine because, apart from being someone who's just as good as Batman in adapting and using his intellect to solve situations - but is, or was at least, probably more consistently written in terms of making those victories something earned- he's perhaps the only comic character I can think of who, when he needs to make a sacrifice (apart from himself, which happens all the time), that sacrifice must go through without a storytelling cheat to rescue him from it, and then it marks him from then on out. He carries his scars through all his stories. Even in Batman, for all his darkness, the only one other than his origin story that really carried through down the years was Jason Todd.

And The Doctor because, well, he carries all the iconic, mythic weight of Superman, but with vulnerability and darkness and flaws (and a really bitching ride).

Archived