Is Batman the Greatest Hero Ever?

Fragile Bird

He doesn't have any magic powers. He's not an alien. He doesn't have to use a magic spell, yelling shazam to be a hero. He has no special powers. When they started the character off, he used a gun, but after a few issues they wrote it out. It's just an ordinary man dressed in a costume meant to strike fear in the hearts of criminals.

Is Batman the greatest super hero there is?

Batman's probably my favourite superhero, but I always found the 'he's got no superpowers, he's just an ordinary guy' claim a tad... well, wrong.

I have to agree. Ordinary men are not billionaires, with the means to do everything Batman does.

As to whether he's the best hero ever, that's pretty subjective. He's not my all-time favorite, but he's definitely up there.

Depends on how you define a hero. If it's a shining beacon of morality then he falls pretty short. His treatment of those close to him is pretty poor and the fact he never actually saves his city but instead keeps it in a chaotic equilibrium is worrying too.

He is pretty cool though and seems to be stand the test of time (with interesting adaptations to certain eras). He's going to be legendary with the likes of Robin Hood and other characters from myth and folklore, that's for sure. One of my favourite lines was in the animated show where he was teamed with Superman and he could hear what the gangsters a block away were saying. Superman asked if he had super hearing and Batman says "lip reading". That's what makes him great in that he earns his "powers" in a lot of cases. The limitless money does help a lot with the extras though.

Maybe, but compared to the other members of the Justice League, he's the Badass Normal.

Well yeah, technically.

But in actuality, the way he's often written (and this particularly applies in the team-up stories, his human-ness is more on show when he's at street level in Gotham) he's the most powerful of the lot. His superpower is knowing exactly what to do in a given situation. When it's written well then yes, it feels earned, but often it's just 'Batman knows everything, he'll fix it'.

This reached its apex during the Grant Morrison JLA run. I'm not complaining, I like those stories, but still.

I love the Morrison Uberbat of the old JLA.

But I think the most recently concluded Morrison Batman run is my favorite, even when Batman's missing for a good chunk of the the second act.

As for being the greatest...among superheros I think he generates the best stories. Some of the cape comic industry's best...and best known...names have written a Batman story.

Fewer people can pull off good Superman stories, though again I recommend Grant Morrison's All Star Superman.

I love the Morrison Uberbat of the old JLA.

But I think the most recently concluded Morrison Batman run is my favorite, even when Batman's missing for a good chunk of the the second act.

As for being the greatest...among superheros I think he generates the best stories. Some of the cape comic industry's best...and best known...names have written a Batman story.

Fewer people can pull off good Superman stories, though again I recommend Grant Morrison's All Star Superman.

He does generate the best stories, but that's enormously helped by the rogue's gallery. This is why Spider-Man is also such a classic.

Superman, on the other hand, has a comparatively poor one - Luthor is an iconic villain but (although I'm probably alone in this thinking) doesn't work so well against Supes - he's much better as a general worldwide foe, and Braniac is great, but beyond that there's very little. Darkseid is one of his best opponents (not just because he can match him for power, but because he's the archetypal opposite) but he's not a pure-Supes foe, obviously.

And Wonder-Woman's villains are generally atrocious, which is why she's always struggled so to uphold her own series.

Yeah, but he's a tea-partier. And not the old-school British-fighting version.

I'm not sure if he's Tea-Partier. Right-wing (well, American-right wing) yeah, and he even have on of those hats.

But:

- he use cleaver rather than good ol' double shotgun.

- he's redhead not redneck

- he's real name is Kovacs with sounds just like illegal immigrant

- he believes that President Truman was an honest man (which is impossible because P. Truman was Democratic Party)

- rather than eating steak with BBQ sauce he prefers to eat cold bean (another illegal immigrant symbol).

Objectively speaking, I'd say he is both the most well known superhero, and has the most well known rogues gallery.

Personally, I think he is the best superhero, but I can see why others might argue against that.

I will say that I think that the Joker, in his various incarnations, is the greatest supervillain of all time, and won't really accept any arguments to the contrary.

Yeah, but he's a tea-partier. And not the old-school British-fighting version.

Then again, Batman isn't exempt.

It is true that he spends all his vast resources on beating people up. At least when Morrison was in charge he used Batman's money to have an army of people beating people up which is slightly more effective.

Then again I'd much rather play a game where I get to beat all the villains up than play economically fair and relatively safe sim-city.

Archived