Rank and Reason: Most Gruesome Deaths In or Mentioned In ASOIAF (SPOILERS)

Arthur Dayne's Honor

Tywin Lannister

1. Kill on the tiolet2. Tywin managed to defeat Stannis, consolidate Lannister power in King's Landing, and solidify Joffrey and Tommen's hold on the throne, only to be betrayed

be his son.3. Smelled like sh*t during his death.

doesnt everyone poo themselves after dying

There are so many awful deaths, it's hard to say.

As well as the above, I'd add:-

The three soldiers burned by Stannis, one of whom was still alive when his chains were red hot (anyone really who gets burned alive).

Ladies Senelle and Falyse. The latter can "no longer feed herself" and "dies screaming in the black cells". The former must have died equally badly.

The two victims of Biter who have their breasts gnawed off.

The little boys who get raped and murdered by Septon Utt.

The slave who gets used for target practice by slingers.

Oberyn.

I dunno about that (although I'm with you when it comes to Elia, Cateyn and Quentyn). Oberyn died on his own terms, achieving what he desperately wanted (revenge against Gregor). His death, while undoubtedly painful, was relatively quick and noble (acting as a champion in a trial by combat) as opposed to humiliating or degrading. I'd say he had a pretty good death. It seems sad to us--and kind of douchey of Oberyn, given that he was leaving young chidren without a father and his paramour without her lover--but Oberyn had decided that he valued revenge above everything else, and went into that fight fully aware of and having accepted the risks, so from his perspective, his death isn't all that tragic or awful.

The failed assassin that got drug behind Dany's horse was a pretty bad one.

I feel no sympathy for him, but that was a pretty horrible way to go. It probably took days of gradual flaying before he died, covered in his own bodily fluids, with all the Dothraki jeering at him.

I feel no sympathy for him, but that was a pretty horrible way to go. It probably took days of gradual flaying before he died, covered in his own bodily fluids, with all the Dothraki jeering at him.

I definitely had no sympathy for him either, I was just speaking of how horrible his death was.

Newstar

I mentioned Robb's death because of how gruesome it was to him. When talking about the RW I've noticed people rarely talk about it from his perspective. It's always from Cat's which is indeed one of the most horrible deaths but I hear no one speaking of how degrading and gruesome it was to Robb himself. And notice how I say "Robb Stark/ Red Wedding" in my OP. I'm including Cat's just not from her perspective.

Jesus Christ. I knew Biter was evil, but the whole biting breasts off puts him close to Gregor Clegane level.

Yeah, they're pretty much on the same level. Gregor's evil is *slightly* more calculated and organized, while Biter's is just complete brutal savagery and madness.

Honestly, a spear through the back of the head was too good for Biter.

What, no love for Quentyn getting torched by dragonfire, taking three agonizing days to die, and his liquefied eyeballs, all the while knowing (assuming he had any awareness at all) that he had completely failed, that he had died for nothing and all his efforts had been in vain?

That, incidentally, didn't really make sense to me, given what we've been told about the capabilities of dragonfire. He should have been killed pretty much instantly, considering he took it right to the head.

Lady Hornwood - the assumption she was starving and ate her own fingers was bad CSI work.

Ramsay flayed her fingers until she begged for them to be cut off.

Can only imagine what else he subjected her to.

Noooo, that wasTheon. Ramsey locked Lady Hornwood in a room and she got so hungry, she ate her own fingers before starving to death.

I nominate the lace serpent, who had her tongue and clitoris ripped off before being burnt alive. Also the 163 Meereenese children who were disembowelled and crucified.

Yeah, they're pretty much on the same level. Gregor's evil is *slightly* more calculated and organized, while Biter's is just complete brutal savagery and madness.

Honestly, a spear through the back of the head was too good for Biter.

Biter is vile, but I think there's an SSM, in which it's explained that Rorge brought him up to be evil.

What, no love for Quentyn getting torched by dragonfire, taking three agonizing days to die, and his liquefied eyeballs, all the while knowing (assuming he had any awareness at all) that he had completely failed, that he had died for nothing and all his efforts had been in vain?

I love that the OP mentioned Robb's death but not Catelyn's, whose death was surely more brutal than Robb's (and more gruesome, given her raking her fingers over her own face). Few things are more horrible than having your child predecease you, let alone having your child murdered in front of you.

Or Lysa falling to her death, knowing during that whole 600-foot drop that the man she considered the love of her life never loved her and had murdered her?

Or Gregor's horribly painful, prolonged death?

Or Vargo being kept alive so that his limbs could be harvested one by one for meat?

Granted, with those last three, it was arguably no more than they deserved, but still.

I agree, Quentyn's death is on par with those of Rickard and Brandon Stark, and also the Victims of Melisandre's flames.

Yes, Catelyn's death IMO is the most psychologically gruesome.

Kind of agree with this one but there is a chance she would die of heart failure before she actually hit the mountain, reducing her suffering somewhat. But not gruesome, more...traumatic.

True, but I just cant associate Gregor with me feeling sympathetic... so I am generally doing cartwheels around the living room when I read about his death....

Definitely, this grossed me out

Special mention of my own to both Joffrey and Maester Cressen. Choking to death would be a horrible way to die, being extremely slow. Its bad enough temporarily choking on food; knowing you are dying and no-one is helping would be truly awful. And Cressen realisingthat he has failed too would add salt to the wound. Terrible. (not gruesome though)

Noooo, that wasTheon. Ramsey locked Lady Hornwood in a room and she got so hungry, she ate her own fingers before starving to death.

I nominate the lace serpent, who had her tongue and clitoris ripped off before being burnt alive. Also the 163 Meereenese children who were disembowelled and crucified.

I actually think the men who discovered Lady Hornwood's body made the wrong assumption as to why her fingers were missing - she was already very skinny to begin with, and probably became more emaciated during her torture.

Those men just didn't know Ramsay's MO and made the wrong assumption. Ramsay victim + missing fingers = flaying

I'd momentarily forgotten Lady Darklyn. That was hideous. Equally hideous is the fact the locals thought she got off too lightly.

Archived