Best to Worst Mothers in ASOIAF

Arthur Lannister

A war Catelyn started by kidnapping Tyrion, and fought primarily by her eldest son. You can't say "it's not her fault, the war did all that!" when she caused the damn war to begin with.

Tywin started the war by invading the Riverlands, and if not him it was Jaime for attempting to kill a child of House Stark.

I wouldn't say Rickon is really messed up, yes he is wild and angry alot but he is also four years old and has lost almost everything he ever knew. Thus, that isn't really surprising. But, it isn't like he is at Joffrey levels of messed up.

This is true lol. I mean messed up by the feeling of abandonment he had when she left, and made him an even angrier child. I hope Osha is calming that fire down in him, and not feeding it.

So, Tywin, Jaime, and Cersei were all blameless?

A war Catelyn started by kidnapping Tyrion, and fought primarily by her eldest son. You can't say "it's not her fault, the war did all that!" when she caused the damn war to begin with.

Who started the war? I thought you had said Rob started it, a few posts ago.

Now it was Cat.

Maybe it was Jaime, by attempting to kill Bran, or Cersei? Maybe it was Tywin?

It all depends on what point one wants to make and what moment in history we choose.

So, Tywin, Jaime, and Cersei were all blameless?

I never understand the train of thought that says Catelyn doesn't have the right to arrest someone who she thinks attempted to kill her son, yet Tywin supposedly has the authority to break the King's Peace and invade a neighboring kingdom because his son was abducted/arrested.

You're all saying cat is a brilliant mum yet she clearly had a favourite (Robb) and she favoured sansa over arya ...

Actually, she tells of how Bran was her special child not Robb. Nor does a parent getting along better with one child then other necessarily make one a bad parent. As Ned likely got along better with Arya then Sansa, yet people still think he is a great father.

You're all saying cat is a brilliant mum yet she clearly had a favourite (Robb) and she favoured sansa over arya ...

I never said she was a "brilliant mom".

Edit:

Favouring one child over the other doesn't make you a bad parent. A parent can relate more to one child than the other, a parent can be more protective over one than the other.

She almost died trying to protect Bran. IF Rob was her favourite, she loved Bran well enough to die for him.

I never said she was a "brilliant mom".

Edit:

Favouring one child over the other doesn't make you a bad parent. A parent can relate more to one child than the other, a parent can be more protective over one than the other.

She almost died trying to protect Bran. IF Rob was her favourite, she loved Bran well enough to die for him.

She risked her life to protect Bran; she offered herself as a hostage to protect Robb. She wanted to trade Jaime for Sansa and Arya, and believed that she was risking being executed by releasing Jaime. What an awful parent!

She clearly favored Bran over the rest of her kids.

"Reluctantly, she let go of them in her heart. But not Bran. Never Bran."

"He was my special boy."

Funny, how your quotes actually disprove the original statement.

The earlier poster mentioned Robb though.

Thanks!

She clearly favored Bran over the rest of her kids.

"Reluctantly, she let go of them in her heart. But not Bran. Never Bran."

"He was my special boy."

Yeah, but it does show that Cat does play favorites.

Having a favorite, doesn't necessarily equal bad parenting. In how, it appears she was just as strict with Bran as her other children with her attempting to stop his climbing rather then just spoiling him and allowing him to do what he wants. Furthermore, despite not wanting to be separated from him she still reluctantly agrees to let him go.

She risked her life to protect Bran; she offered herself as a hostage to protect Robb. She wanted to trade Jaime for Sansa and Arya, and believed that she was risking being executed by releasing Jaime. What an awful parent!

If that is sarcasm being sent my way I am afraid you misread me, because I am pretty much saying she almost died to save Bran... Same as you.

Perhaps you only saw the sentence where I said she wasn't "brilliant" and then stopped reading?

I don't think she is "brilliant" because of one mistake and she could have been more accepting of Arya's nature. The rest of the posts I have written in this thread I have been defending her.

Not thinking she is "brilliant" doesn't mean I think she is a bad mother.

Edit: If that is you adding to the good things or acts of love for her kids, then thanks for adding. Great points I failed to mention.

Anybody can have the best intentions. She loved her children, that's clear. However, she made a ton of stupid choices which put her children in danger. So sure, A for effort, but effort doesn't cut it.

If that is sarcasm being sent my way I am afraid you misread me, because I am pretty much saying she almost died to save Bran... Same as you.

Perhaps you only saw the sentence where I said she wasn't "brilliant" and then stopped reading?

I don't think she is "brilliant" because of one mistake and she could have been more accepting of Arya's nature. The rest of the posts I have written in this thread I have been defending her.

Not thinking she is "brilliant" doesn't mean I think she is a bad mother.

Sorry. It wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at some of the very silly criticisms of Catelyn on this thread.

Archived