Best to Worst Mothers in ASOIAF

Arthur Lannister

She is married with his father, she is his stepmother and she is the worst stepmother in the books.

OK, I understand your hatred, Jon is your favorite, but this has gone beyond any reason. Catelyn is not Jon's stepmother, by any definition known to humankind. Jon wasn't the fruit of previous romance or marriage, he was conceived and born at the time Ned was already married, so he simply can't be the stepchild to Catelyn. Second, as Minsc ninja'd me again, you actually say she is the worst, when you have crazy lunatic threatening to kill her husband's children... Dear Lord...

Jon was born after her marriage, from someone that wasn't his wife at the time. That makes him a bastard, since he's not legitimate and therefore, he has no connection to Catelyn whatsoever. Ramsay, after his legitimization, is stepson to Walda, like Littlefinger is to Little Robert.

Jon being a bastard doesn't stop Ned from being his father. Cat is married to Ned thus he is his father and she is his stepmother.

edit:

OK, I understand your hatred, Jon is your favorite, but this has gone beyond any reason. Catelyn is not Jon's stepmother, by any definition known to humankind. Jon wasn't the fruit of previous romance or marriage, he was conceived and born at the time Ned was already married, so he simply can't be the stepchild to Catelyn. Second, as Minsc ninja'd me again, you actually say she is the worst, when you have crazy lunatic threatening to kill her husband's children... Dear Lord...

I don't think that there is a difinition for a children who was born out of the wedlock and lives with his father, rather than stepfamily and since Jon is a part of that stepfamily and Cat is the mother of that family, Cat is his stepmother.

And yes Cat lived with Jon, saw him growing up and did what she did against him his whole life. For me that is the worst step parent in the books. I could only choose one and in my opinion Cat is worse that Cersei.

Yeah, but murdering babies is nowhere near as bad as saying a mean thing once to Jon "The Chosen One" Snow and giving him cold stares once in a while. Right?

How could I forget the special Jon Snow factor, in where any act that makes Jon slightly unhappy is the most morally unforgivable act within the entire series.

Jon is commander of the NW. An honorable man who is doing his best for the wildings. Robb is a scumbag who sacks the riverlands, Westerlands and wanted the Ironborn to sack Lanniport. Arya is becoming an assassin in a self righteous group of psychos. Rickon is going to become a cannibal. Bran IS a cannibalistic tree who takes advantages of the feeble minded. Sansa is insipid. Clearly Jon is better than Catelyn's godawful children.

Jon is commander of the NW. An honorable man who is doing his best for the wildings. Robb is a scumbag who sacks the riverlands, Westerlands and wanted the Ironborn to sack Lanniport. Arya is becoming an assassin in a self righteous group of psychos. Rickon is going to become a cannibal. Bran IS a cannibalistic tree who takes advantages of the feeble minded. Sansa is insipid. Clearly Jon is better than Catelyn's godawful children.

What ever floats your boat, I guess. You do have an idea though, that your point is pretty much based on your opnions? Like "Sansa is insipid"? I for one, find Sansa superior to Jon Snow. So yes, Cat's children are better than Jon.

One actually.

There are also the twins that were at Casterly Rock that Cersei had killed and mother sold into slavery.

Jon being a bastard doesn't stop Ned from being his father. Cat is married to Ned thus he is his father and she is his stepmother.

The traditional and strictest definition of a "stepfamily" is a married couple where one or both members of the couple have pre-existing children who live with them

Jon doesn't fit that criteria.

Yes, but it does prevent us from calling Catelyn his stepmother. He is not a child born out of Ned's previous relationship, he was born during their marriage. Catelyn has no obligation towards Ned... And, btw, could we please stop ignoring logic? If Ned thought Jon has been molested abused by Catelyn, why didn't he send the boy to Howland or somewhere else? After all those years, the secret was safe, boy was safe, promise was fulfilled... I mean, if Cat was such monster you and some other present her, how come Ned was so fine with him being in Winterfell all those years.

There are also the twins that were at Casterly Rock that Cersei had killed and mother sold into slavery.

Jon doesn't fit that criteria.

LF tells Ned that story and Ned (mentally) points out that such stories were told of every great house.

It doesn't fit the criteria in the books for stepmother. Nobody considers Cersei stepmother to Robert's children. Nor Selyse and Edric Storm. Bastards are not considered part of the family.

Yes, but it does prevent us from calling Catelyn his stepmother. He is not a child born out of Ned's previous relationship, he was born during their marriage. Catelyn has no obligation towards Ned... And, btw, could we please stop ignoring logic? If Ned thought Jon has been molested by Catelyn, why didn't he send the boy to Howland or somewhere else? After all those years, the secret was safe, boy was safe, promise was fulfilled... I mean, if Cat was such monster you and some other present her, how come Ned was so fine with him being in Winterfell all those years.

You mean harmed right?

What ever floats your boat, I guess. You do have an idea though, that your point is pretty much based on your opnions? Like "Sansa is insipid"? I for one, find Sansa superior to Jon Snow. So yes, Cat's children are better than Jon.

well yeah. I am just stating why i think Jon is better than anything Cat related.

LF tells Ned that story and Ned (mentally) points out that such stories were told of every great house.

Even so, the issue still stands that Cersei was willing to straight up murder one of her husband's bastards. While, Catelyn at worst said something mean once and gave cold looks.

Wow mindblown.

As if its Brans fault for going to BR, it actually saved his life since the ironborn could of killed him had he stayed north.

Decent trolling effort, but you can do better than that.

I don't think that there is a difinition for a children who was born out of the wedlock and lives with his father, rather than stepfamily and since Jon is a part of that stepfamily and Cat is the mother of that family, Cat is his stepmother.

Nice for you to admit that you are just making up definitions to fit your criteria.

I think that you are right. But I think that happens because he had to grow up faster, because he had to take care of himself.

Yes, but it does prevent us from calling Catelyn his stepmother. He is not a child born out of Ned's previous relationship, he was born during their marriage. Catelyn has no obligation towards Ned... And, btw, could we please stop ignoring logic? If Ned thought Jon has been molested abused by Catelyn, why didn't he send the boy to Howland or somewhere else? After all those years, the secret was safe, boy was safe, promise was fulfilled... I mean, if Cat was such monster you and some other present her, how come Ned was so fine with him being in Winterfell all those years.

Who defines what a stepmother is? Maybe Ned didn't send Jon away I don't know, because he promised to Lyanna that he will take care of him? After all why Ned should do that? He should punish a child because a grown woman can't control herself? Send a child away to grew up without his family because a grow up woman's ego was hurted? We know from Jon's PoV that she did emotionaly abused him. Or that doesn't matter because his PoVs aren't Cat's PoVs?

It doesn't fit the criteria in the books for stepmother. Nobody considers Cersei stepmother to Robert's children. Nor Selyse and Edric Storm. Bastards are not considered part of the family.

Who defines what a stepmother is? A. Selyse isn't Robert's wife. B. Edric grew up with Renly and stayed with Stannis for a couple of months.

Archived