Brooklyn Nine Nine [SPOILERS]

Sci-2

Loving this show.

Admittedly when I watch it I end up comparing to SHIELD and seeing how much better this show is.

I think B99 is reaping a lot of the benefit of SHIELD's ratings declines. I think people abandoning that sinking ship finding a comfy Samburg to retreat to.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/12/fox-brooklyn-9-9-now-likely-to-be-renewed/214583/

Brooklyn-9-9 ratings started well, but by its third episode it had fallen to a 1.4 rating (just 68% of Fox's ratings average that week), and the Cancellation Bear predicted it to be likely to be canceled. However, as with all early predictions, changing results often cause changing predictions.

Since that third episode, Brooklyn 9-9 ratings have risen, while the rest of Fox's scripted ratings have drifted downward. Its most recent 2 week's 1.6 ratings were each over 85% of Fox's scripted rating average for those weeks which now indicates likely renewal.

I think the pilot was on the weak side - it gets much funnier as it builds up more of the world, so to speak, like increasingly weird/gross/awful stuff about Scully and Hitchcock, establishing running gags and bits of the main character's background gradually getting sketched in. The Captain in the 70's was pretty epic.

Re sad - what's sad about Charles? He's good at his job, respected by his colleagues and superiors, has hobbies and, most importantly, is usually supported by the narrative. It's Santiago who's being the grinch who steals Halloween. It's Peralta who's being the asshole that won't be a team player. It's Diaz and whatshername who have lousy, pretentious opinions on food, not him. He might be a dork, but in the world of 99, he is vindicated and celebrated.

'tis a kind fantasy, is it not?

Great episode. Diaz's happy place was pretty much exactly what I expected.

Surprised to see so many positive opinions on a fox show. This must mean that the show is going to be cancelled in a week or two.

I only caught the pilot so far. Thought it was decent. Might have to give it a shot before fox pulls it because people like it.

:rolleyes:

Re sad - what's sad about Charles? He's good at his job, respected by his colleagues and superiors, has hobbies and, most importantly, is usually supported by the narrative.

Good point.

On another note, I do think they need to tone down the Peralta focus a tad as IMO the show's strength is it's ensemble cast.

Yeah, Peralta is usually the least fun thing in a given episode. He's not bad, per se, he's just not enough to carry it on his own and everyone else is good too, so let's have more of them. (Plus, Peralta almost always wins, contrary to all sense and reason. It's much more interesting when he's not actually living up to his notion that he's the best detective ever.)

Pizza Spittoon for the win.

P. Oswalt did a good job, but I think this was Boyle's episode.

Also liked the Diaz/Santiago subplot and Gina's method to madness surprised me.

Yeah, Gina made some really good points! Although I figured they'd have to end up hiring the hacker in the end anyway, the journey was entertaining.

Yeah, it was obvious that they'd hire the hacker, but they made it fun. And unlike a certain Agents of Shield, this is a comedy and that is excusable. I told you guys that Gina would come around ;)

She inspired my new sig.

I like this show, it's exactly my kind of silly. I don't quite get all the Gina hate though, she doesn't get as much screen time as the others but when she does she's quite funny. I like how the Diaz character has been eased up a bit, I thought she was too "hard" in the earlier episodes.

I agree that Terry Crews is the best thing about this show.

It was also great to see two Its Always Sunny in Philly alumni in Mary Elizabeth Ellis and Artemis Pebdani.

I like this show, it's exactly my kind of silly. I don't quite get all the Gina hate though, she doesn't get as much screen time as the others but when she does she's quite funny. I like how the Diaz character has been eased up a bit, I thought she was too "hard" in the earlier episodes.

I agree that Terry Crews is the best thing about this show.

It was also great to see two Its Always Sunny in Philly alumni in Mary Elizabeth Ellis and Artemis Pebdani.

She got a lot of time in the first few episodes, and they realized she wasn't working so they cut her part way down, so they can only use her "best stuff" now - kind of like the background characters in The Office, but she is no Creed Bratton.

Archived