Brooklyn Nine Nine [SPOILERS]

Sci-2

This show is amazing. It's relentlessly adorable and genuinely funny. Tonight's episode was awesome: Boyle Bingo, Santiago's home looking like the set of Murder She Wrote, Jerald Jimes' tragic backstory, everything with Terry (shaking down Scully for sweets, eating packing peanuts, camera footage of Terry dancing, etc.), Holt calling his mother "Your Honour," Santiago sucking up to Holt ("You look beautiful"), etc. etc.

This show is amazing. It's relentlessly adorable and genuinely funny. Tonight's episode was awesome: Boyle Bingo, Santiago's home looking like the set of Murder She Wrote, Jerald Jimes' tragic backstory, everything with Terry (shaking down Scully for sweets, eating packing peanuts, camera footage of Terry dancing, etc.), Holt calling his mother "Your Honour," Santiago sucking up to Holt ("You look beautiful"), etc. etc.

Yup. Fucking awesome.

Last time I liked a cast this much I was watching Community.

eta: Loved the Belt Buckle line.

eta: Loved the Belt Buckle line.

Andre Braugher's line delivery on "Where's the buckle, Santiago?" was perfect.

Every episode, I love Boyle a little bit more, a foodie after my own heart: "'Boyle explains that they ate lobsters at the first Thanksgiving.' They did! Back in that time they called lobsters 'ocean bugs,' and--you know what, I'll just mark that off for you."

All the Boyle Bingo items were great:

-Boyle calls Thanksgiving "Turkey Day"

-Boyle tells us that he played Pocahontas in his third grade play

-Boyle says "Gobble gobble gobble"

-Boyle objects to Boyle Bingo

-Boyle says "Come on, guys!"

-Boyle says "Boom!"

-Boyle believes obvious lie

-Boyle cries

I also loved Peralta's "awesome car chase" being a perp trying to flee by car only to get immediately stopped in traffic. Ha!

I really want to meet Holt's husband. I hope he doesn't wind up being this show's Maris.

Boyle's Thanksgiving spread looked pretty awesome, just from what he said and from a glimpse at the table:

-Peking duck

-veggie samosa "stuffing"

-potato empanadas

-fried rice

-fried noodles

-orange chicken

-fortune cookies

-Ethiopian lentil stew "gravy"

-bao

-dolmades

-tabbouleh

I don't get the sentimentality of American holidays, I have to admit. The dinner looked great though!

I like that they called the gap between Santiago and Peralta in terms of how much attention Holt gives them, and how much Santiago wants that in of being part of the gang and having a significant mentoring relationship and all that. Peralta likes to make up stories and do the cheesy cliche buddy cop thing, but Santiago has her own baggage in that department.

Andre Braugher's line delivery on "Where's the buckle, Santiago?" was perfect.

Every episode, I love Boyle a little bit more, a foodie after my own heart: "'Boyle explains that they ate lobsters at the first Thanksgiving.' They did! Back in that time they called lobsters 'ocean bugs,' and--you know what, I'll just mark that off for you."

All the Boyle Bingo items were great:

-Boyle calls Thanksgiving "Turkey Day"

-Boyle tells us that he played Pocahontas in his third grade play

-Boyle says "Gobble gobble gobble"

-Boyle objects to Boyle Bingo

-Boyle says "Come on, guys!"

-Boyle says "Boom!"

-Boyle believes obvious lie

-Boyle cries

I also loved Peralta's "awesome car chase" being a perp trying to flee by car only to get immediately stopped in traffic. Ha!

I really want to meet Holt's husband. I hope he doesn't wind up being this show's Maris.

Boyle's Thanksgiving spread looked pretty awesome, just from what he said and from a glimpse at the table:

-Peking duck

-veggie samosa "stuffing"

-potato empanadas

-fried rice

-fried noodles

-orange chicken

-fortune cookies

-Ethiopian lentil stew "gravy"

-bao

-dolmades

-tabbouleh

Yeah Boyle Bingo was fun, and I loved the meal at the end.

Felt like a NYC thanksgiving to me. :-)

I'm continually suprised by how much I like this show.

I really expected it to be one of the first off of my record list, but now its one of the shows that I watch the very next morning.

This episode was fantastic.

From the Boyle Bingo to the final toast, I loved it all. The cast has really grown together and I think the deadpan of the captain brings it all together in a zany way.

Peralta's nicknames for Holt were the best: "Stone Eagle," "Cold Mountain," "Ice Veins," and "Bad Boy."

And we have a name for Holt's husband! (Kevin.)

I loved Peralta's little mumbled "Idunno" and shrug when Holt asked him if he could physically keep Holt in the motel room.

Psychologists are only people who failed to become psychics.

Gina's priceless.

I hope Diaz doesn't end up liking Boyle. Maybe they hook up off screen and that's enough for both of them?

eta: Liked Terry in this ep obviously!

Damn I can't believe this show went into winter hiatus.

I hope Diaz doesn't end up liking Boyle. Maybe they hook up off screen and that's enough for both of them?

This episode almost felt like a bit of a retcon with Boyle, since my impression in 1x01 was that he asked her out, she shut him down, and he seemed to get the message, even if he continued to pine for her, and in 1x02 I got the impression that he never wound up asking her out again, even if he thought about it and lost his nerve. This episode showed he'd been asking her out over and over again "off-screen" and refusing to take "No" for an answer, which seemed at odds with how Boyle had acted to date: pining for Diaz and cheering up at the slightest indication of non-hostility, but not pestering her with date requests and openly trying to flirt with her. I'm actually kind of annoyed, because not only did it seem like Boyle got the message in 1x01 and left it at that (despite second-guessing himself in 1x02), but also that little mini-montage of Boyle asking her out over and over again and her having to be more and more firm with him was really off-putting. It's one thing to pine for someone and keep it to yourself, another thing to put that person in the awkward position of having to refuse you over and over again, which is really inconsiderate. Boyle generally seems like a sweet, kind person, and that sort of behaviour is really obnoxious and rude, something you'd think polite people-pleaser Boyle would know.

...Maybe it's a writing issue, who knows? Gina seemed less nasty than usual, as well.

To get back to your point, now that it's been established that Diaz has firmly rejected Boyle many, many times, and that he's finally accepted it (even though he seemed to have accepted it in 1x01, even if he wished otherwise), it seems like it could go a few ways:

1. Remains a doomed, one-sided crush as in the previous episodes (sort of like Toby's crush on Pam in The Office, except Diaz is fully aware that Boyle likes her). The show probably won't go that route, since after Boyle's been shut down so many times (...er, apparently, as we've learned this episode), it really starts crossing over into cringeworthy territory, and like Parks & Rec, this show doesn't usually flirt with cringeworthy, horribly awkward moments (unlike, say, The Office, especially The Office UK).

2. Boyle moves on and the crush fades into the background as the show finds its footing, in a "Now let us never speak of this again" kind of way. The Peralta/Santiago banter, flirty comments and date contest have disappeared as well, so it makes sense Boyle/Diaz could go a similar direction.

3. Diaz starts changing her mind about Boyle. I feel like the writers might be setting this up with the whole "Boyle saves Diaz's life" thing, and Diaz finally smiling when she calls Boyle a hero (although she actually laughs when Holt does the arm lock along with everyone else a bit earlier). Diaz is basically the April (from Parks & Recreation, another Michael Schur show) of the show, and Boyle is basically the show's Andy (from Parks & Recreation), and April and Andy wound up getting married, so who knows?

Having watched The Office and Parks & Rec, I find it weird that the show is marketing the "Will they, won't they" angle of Boyle/Diaz, two eccentric secondary characters, as opposed to Peralta/Santiago, the male lead and his rival. Focusing on the minor characters is fine for subsequent seasons, but wouldn't it make more sense to play the strongest hand (Jim/Pam as opposed to Dwight/Angela, to use a comparison to The Office)? Not that I mind downplaying Peralta/Santiago in a romantic sense, because they seem to work much better as a competitive/bratty sibling dynamic for me.

Loved this exchange:

Peralta: What? You texted Boyle when you were texting your husband? As the person who's completely in charge here, I'm very disappointed in you. I'm changing your codename to "Bad Boy."

Holt (immediately): Oh, I can't imagine what it's like to be disappointed in someone under your command.

BURN!

The visual of the handcuffed Boyle, Peralta and Holt in the car together was hilarious.

ETA: Found a really great, very candid interview with Terry Crews (Terry Jeffords) here.

I think this episode gave us a good idea on why Holt pays so much attention to Peralta rather than Santiago. The flashback to Holt arresting the Freestyle Killer (that TOTALLY could have come from Dexter) has him uttering this line "I say Marco, you say Polo. Punk.” That absolutely could have been said by Peralta.

I think the Captain sees himself in the young, brash Peralta and sees an opportunity to change him just as he changed himself. But the ironic part is that it backfired on him in this episode. Holt picked Peralta to be his security detail because he figured Peralta would blow it off. Instead, Peralta was gung ho on the idea of being in charge but also following orders from Holt's superior. Peralta also wanted to catch the killer by enlisting the entire squad, something that Holt has been trying to hammer home since the pilot.

Instead, Peralta was gung ho on the idea of being in charge but also following orders from Holt's superior. Peralta also wanted to catch the killer by enlisting the entire squad, something that Holt has been trying to hammer home since the pilot.

Yeah, there's probably been more character development - and possible possibly more actual procedural elements - in this show than AoSHIELD and Blacklist.

This episode wasn't up to the standards I expect from this show, but I actually consider that a compliment for the series. Terry's picture of himself was priceless. I found it particularly funny because I know I would have made a crying stick figure being bullied by a large gun.

This episode wasn't up to the standards I expect from this show, but I actually consider that a compliment for the series. Terry's picture of himself was priceless. I found it particularly funny because I know I would have made a crying stick figure being bullied by a large gun.

Yeah, it wasn't one of the top eps IMO, partially for reasons Newstar went into about Charles going from forlorn puppy to obnoxious suitor.

I really think something that will help this show is to dial back the amount of time spent on Peralta.

Archived