Stannis in tourneys

Balaurderaa

I was trawling through the wiki to look for mentions but none is made of whether he fights in any Tourneys or not. Given that both of his brothers fought in Tourneys it seems odd that he hasn't been mentioned... and we know that he has some prowess on horseback after the Battle of the Wall

Barristan says much the same of Rhaegar though and he still rode in tourneys..

Barristan says one day Rhaegar read something in a book and determined he must become a warrior.

Stannis never has this epiphany.

I think Ned just says that show-only, but the North seems less inclined to knighthood, chivalry and pageantry in general, so it's probably not a mischaracterization.

I'd suspect Stannis isn't much for chivalry and pageantry either, there is a very social aspect to the whole tourney thing.

+ On top of what has already been said Stannis probably didn't really have the time. He was to young before RR and after that he was busy taking care of the royal fleet and the Realm.

I was trawling through the wiki to look for mentions but none is made of whether he fights in any Tourneys or not. Given that both of his brothers fought in Tourneys it seems odd that he hasn't been mentioned... and we know that he has some prowess on horseback after the Battle of the Wall

Niether is Garlan. Both don't find what all the fuss is about. Robert was more of a Melee guy. Renly allowed himself to be unhorsed by better men, and went for fun, more than to prove his worth.

Barristan says one day Rhaegar read something in a book and determined he must become a warrior.

Stannis never has this epiphany.

Rhaegar thought he should be a warrior, so he trained, participated in tourneys, won in at least one, and died in his very first actual battle.

Stannis probably trained since he was a kid, just like Robert. This is the reason he commanded a castle under siege, built a war fleet, assaulted Dragonstone, defeated the strongest naval power at sea, and subdued the largest of the Iron Islands by the time he was 24 (Rhaegar's age at time of death). If at all, he had the epiphany that it's a bloody waste of time and money.

Archived