What is lurking in the crypts of Winterfell?

Ice and fire freak

Could be either:

-Dragon
-Roots of Winter
-Lightbringer
-A text or painting explaining the real purpose of the Stark
-Some gay ghosts, who will ruin the story, LotR style.
-The great Others
-Benjen or the HM
-Original Ice (valyrian steel is kinda new to westeros)

Into Lyanna tomb we could find:
-a crown
-a letter
-Rhaegar's harp
-Remains of a dead baby
-Empty

I doubt we will get 1000 undead Starks, but ***** would that not be the most epic thing in the series to date.

Stannis's forces (possibly including Rickon) command The Boltons to leave Winterfell. The Boltons declare from atop Winterfell's walls that it is their seat now. Screams erupts from behind Bolton's forces. They turn to see hundreds of "coldhanded" Stark kings erupting from the crypts. Vollies of crossbow bolts just make them angrier. All but the diehard Bolton loyalists poor out winterfell's walls in a mad Dash.

Stannis: "It appears Starks are hard to kill."

:drool:

Seriously, I have always considered the reactions of the direwolves to be a tell on how their humans are feeling. When Summer didn't want to go down into the tomb, it's because Bran didn't want to. When Grey Wind rushed forward snapping at the Freys as the Stark army arrived at the Red Wedding, it's because Robb himself mistrusted the whole situation. When Nymeria attacked Joffrey, it's because Arya would have done it herself. There's no need for grumpkins here, not even with Hodor. Crypts can be scary places.

Something that proves or provides sanctuary from winter and the Whites.

That's the only thing that makes sense. We know the Starks have protected and sheltered the north before. If Wylla Manderly knows the story chances our Mance and Lady Dustin know the story as well.

Something big. I was thinking this the other night. Even the show, in Bran's visions last night when touching the Weirwood showed the 3 eyed crow in the crypts. If it isn't about Lyanna's tomb and somehow linking to Jon's true heritage, than it has to be something pretty wild. Curious to see what Lady Dustin was so interested in.

Seriously? No one would like for "The Knight Of The Laughing Tree" confirmed ot be a stark?

I'd like to see that actually, but I don't know if it would make any difference to the continuing story. If it's in the tombs it confirms that one of the dead Starks (like Lyanna) was the KotLT.

Proof of Jon's parentage, the original Ice/Lightbringer, or some kind of seriously badass weaponry (I include dead KsITN in that category) that will help fight off the Others, would be good. I doubt we'll get too many things down there. Though it would be funny of the keys to all kinds of riddles and problems were literally under people's feet all this time.

ETA: we never saw the daddy direwolf, did we? Maybe he's in the crypts.

The ghosts of Starks stirring, and getting angry at the current state of things, like the most recent Starks marrying southroners and also maesters being brought to Winterfell, thats why Shaggydog attacked Luwin down there, its foreshadowing that Rickon is gonna be an old school Northman, no southron influences.

A dragon egg or some kind of written testimony signed by Rhaegar, Arhtur Dayne and Whent that R+L were married are also on top of the list.

As to Summer's behaviour on that particular day when Hodor refused to descend into the crypts and which GRRM labels as a unique occasion:

The mention of dreams reminded him. “I dreamed about the crow again last night. The one with three eyes. He flew into my bedchamber and told me to come with him, so I did. We went down to the crypts. Father was there, and we talked. He was sad.”

“And why was that?” Luwin peered through his tube.

“It was something to do about Jon, I think.” The dream had been deeply disturbing, more so than any of the other crow dreams. “Hodor won’t go down into the crypts.”

The maester had only been half listening, Bran could tell. He lifted his eye from the tube, blinking. “Hodor won’t …?”

“Go down into the crypts. When I woke, I told him to take me down, to see if Father was truly there. At first he didn’t know what I was saying, but I got him to the steps by telling him to go here and go there, only then he wouldn’t go down. He just stood on the top step and said ‘Hodor,’ like he was scared of the dark, but I had a torch."

The vault was cavernous, longer than Winterfell itself, and Jon had told him once that there were other levels underneath, vaults even deeper and darker where the older kings were buried. It would not do to lose the light. Summer refused to move from the steps, even when Osha followed the torch, Bran in her arms.

Bran could not recall the last time he had been in the crypts. It had been before, for certain. When he was little, he used to play down here with Robb and Jon and his sisters. He wished they were here now; the vault might not have seemed so dark and scary. Summer stalked out in the echoing gloom, then stopped, lifted his head, and sniffed the chill dead air. He bared his teeth and crept backward, eyes glowing golden in the light of the maester’s torch. Even Osha, hard as old iron, seemed uncomfortable.

“You let my father be,” Rickon warned Luwin. “You let him be.”

“Rickon,” Bran said softly. “Father’s not here.”

Yes he is. I saw him.” Tears glistened on Rickon’s face. “I saw him last night.”

Summer's behaviour mirrors Hodor's neither is willing to go down, and neither is mentioned as refusing to go down before or after, and that particular instant is right after both Bran and Rickon dream of Ned in the crypts. A truly astonishing coincidence.

When I read that my impression, same as now, was that Hodor and the Direwolves both felt Ned's presence in the crypts. It wasn't some trick that the 3 eyed crow made. Ned's spirit came to Bran in the crypts and Ned was still there.

I also don't find it strange that Hodor would be afraid to go into a dark crypt full of graves, and then lose that fear after Theon takes over Winterfell and they start running for their lives.

Maybe its significance is that it is a place to hide from wights, winter, nasty attackers, and the Others. It could be like the underground cities in Capadoccia, Turkey--a place where a number of people could survive for some length of time if there is access to water. There could be spells protecting it from the Others. The real issue would be food. One interesting thing about the Bael the Bard story is that a pregnant woman (and then a young mother) survived there for quite some time. Were servants bringing her food? Was she sneaking up to raid the kitchens at night? Or is there some alternate source of food --be it weird fish, bats, strange mushrooms, or Jojen paste? Or simply an opening?

I think the Crypts still have an important role to play.

Lady Dustin's comments were strange. I am not sure what she knows/believes about the Crypts.

Archived