Stuff to do while waiting

magic713

Im taking a break from doing another re read. I started the Wheel of Time series recently. I heard mixed reviews on it, but I really enjoy it so far. It definitely helps with the wait. The Princess and the Queen should help when it comes out.

Would recommend the CK2 mod for anyone who needs a dose of ASOIAF. Create your own story or recreate canon events, whatever you want.

An example, one time while playing as Robert, he caught Jaime and Cersei. Jaime was imprisoned and Robert and Jaime dueled to which Robert won, starting a chain which led to all out war, WITH Robert and Ned still alive.

The occasional, casual reread of random chapters and visiting this forums helps to survive the wait. :P I also started getting back into the fantasy genre and check out other fantasy series, fortunately GRRM recommended some really goos books on his blog.

The occasional, casual reread of random chapters and visiting this forums helps to survive the wait. :P I also started getting back into the fantasy genre and check out other fantasy series, fortunately GRRM recommended some really goos books on his blog.

What are you reading?

I've never read any fantasy besides ASoIaF. Not even all of Lord of the Rings (I read the first book and Silmarillion only), Harry Potter or other major stuff.

Would recommend the CK2 mod for anyone who needs a dose of ASOIAF. Create your own story or recreate canon events, whatever you want.

An example, one time while playing as Robert, he caught Jaime and Cersei. Jaime was imprisoned and Robert and Jaime dueled to which Robert won, starting a chain which led to all out war, WITH Robert and Ned still alive.

I check in on these forums practically every day - that helps. Also, I've recently started reading Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles (a good friend and Martin have both recommended them and I love the Arthurian legend so I thought they'd be good). I also really need to check out that CK2 ASoIaF mod some time.

What are you reading?

I've never read any fantasy besides ASoIaF. Not even all of Lord of the Rings (I read the first book and Silmarillion only), Harry Potter or other major stuff.

If you want to check other fantasy out you should try the works of Patrick Rothfuss, it's different then ASOIAF but very good. If you want to read fantasy that inspired GRRM I think you should check out some of the works of Jack Vance. ANd if you want fantasy that was clearly inspired by GRRM I would recommend Joe Abercrombie's books (especially, heroes, that's one hell of a fantasy book).

I play it almost everyday and i've dumped hundreds of hours into that mod alone. It's awesome. I even have Sub-mods like "Titular kingdoms" which adds lots of replayability and "A Clash of Kings" which changes a ton in the Clash of kings scenario (Robb declared himself KitN) and changes a bit in Robert Rebellion's scenario, as well. The scenario i play the most is the one before Aegon's landing.

I imagine people who haven't played CK2 (i had, hardcore player here :) ) will have a very hard time getting into it., but people should give a try. I haven't played Westeros: Total War, idk why. I'll download it, it shouldn't be much more different than Third Age: Total War, which i love too.

mount and blade acok mod is pretty awesome too.

and westeros total war isn't bad v1.0 should come out soon and to be honest it's more about battle strategy than politics and it's not very story driven. but that suits me fine because i love strategy and total war games in general

Reread the series

Check in on Westeros frequently

I am now reading authors that are GRRM's favorites. Recently found the Farseerer series by Robin Hobb and the first book was excellent. Will soon acquire the next two and read them. Since Joe Abercrombie was recommended, I'll also read him. I know parts of the LotR by heart so don't have to reread that again. I thought that LotR was so good and then for a while all the Fantasy and Scifi was so derivative that it was boring, but now there seems to be some really good stuff out there that is orginal. Would I rather have WoW? Of course, but in the meantime. . . Actually, taking a break from rereads can be enlightening when you get back to it.

What are you reading?

Like Veltigar already said you should check out Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle series, it's really lovely and Joe Abercrombie's First Law Triology and his stand-alone novels. These books are gritty and have well-written characters. My favorite is The Heroes. Currently I'm reading Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series. So far I really enjoy it and would recommend it, too. :)

Another one of GRRM's favorite authors is Robin Hobb. I read the Farseer trilogy and am planning on reading her two other trilogies in the same world (Tawny Man & Fool series) after I'm done reading a few other books that have been on my backlog. Currently re-reading AFFC and ADWD at the same time and am absolutely LOVING reading these two together. I hope at some point they make this a single novel.

After my first re-read I went on to read pretty much everything GRRM had written. I spent lots of time of this board. The wait was still making me crazy so I started reading other series. I started with Kingkiller Chronicles, then the Gentlemen Bastard Series. I started reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, after the first book I reread Kingkiller Chronicles. By then the new Gentleman Bastard book was out so I read that and right now I am on the final pages of the First Law trilogy. I plan on reading Abercrombie's stand alone books and then maybe hit up Tolkien.

Mist Born Trilogy and the Robert Jordan saga are also on my list, though the latter seems like a daunting task at the moment. Now I'm waiting for The third Kingkiller and subsequent GB books as well.

I'll likely do another reread of ASOFAF once Martin announces he is done with WOW. Until then there is plenty to keep me busy and sane.

A Song of Ice and Fire was the only epic fantasy type series i've read. Since reading, and becoming obsessed, i've started reading others series to pass the time. Just finished Mistborn and loved it. Reading The name of the wind and The way of kings right currently.

Can anyone recommend any others?

I play it almost everyday and i've dumped hundreds of hours into that mod alone. It's awesome. I even have Sub-mods like "Titular kingdoms" which adds lots of replayability and "A Clash of Kings" which changes a ton in the Clash of kings scenario (Robb declared himself KitN) and changes a bit in Robert Rebellion's scenario, as well. The scenario i play the most is the one before Aegon's landing.

I imagine people who haven't played CK2 (i had, hardcore player here :) ) will have a very hard time getting into it., but people should give a try. I haven't played Westeros: Total War, idk why. I'll download it, it shouldn't be much more different than Third Age: Total War, which i love too.

Yeah, but its not that a big learning curve. Either way though I have had so much fun with it. Playing RR as Rhaegar is fun as hell :)

ummm... live? as in 'my life'?

-- make my way through the Murakamis

-- torture Ero in various methods of Stannis denial/affirmation ( I find this activity to be most stimulating)

-- lurk Genchat for drama... there's always drama!

-- stay tuned for bumps' secret homosexual threads and WK's shipping threads

-- impersonate an internet celebrity cat with congenital defects

-- troll troll then tro' some mo'

seriously, people! don't tell me there's nothing to do!!! the world is vast and beautiful, go explore it, you loveable little junkies, you :P

Archived