Season 3 Bluray and DVD Details Revealed

Westeros

I thought the best tracks were the ones with a producer or writer because we actually got some background information on how the scene was done. When it was just the actors alone most of the time they didn't offer much of substance, they just watched and reacted like fans, went on and on (and on) about how everyone they worked with was "amazing," or wandered way off topic, all of which was annoying.

Frankly, they should have at least one actor who was actually involved with the scene do the commentary for it. Listening to the kids babble about nothing over a scene involving Varys and Littlefinger was frustrating.

I'm not through all the commentaries yet, but I liked the one with Kit Harington, Rose Leslie, and director Alik Sakharov. Kit and Rose weren't all goofy and "OMG this actor is amazing!!!!". I thought they did well keeping the conversation flowing and they both asked Alik some good questions. Alik seemed a little shy or maybe unsure of what to say so having them with him kept things moving. Hearing about how they filled the wall climb was pretty interesting.
I'm such a dork, I'd love for each episode to have multiple commentaries.

Agreed, that was the best commentary. The director didn't take over the commentary, and they all contributed equally.

The Blackwater commentary last season with the director and Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage was good that way, too.

Cool, Brienne's blue dress! That means it was important. I think (dare I hope) we will get that line. I think a million fans will die of happiness when Jaime says it. They don't even have to finish the story, really, that's enough.

I know I will (fingers crossed)

I know I will (fingers crossed)

Oh, definitely. It's funny, I have no hope for any of these stories, this is a really dismal book series. But there are little things you want to see, and they are so good, they are almost enough. That's why we get disappointed when we don't see them on the show. I don't think the guys writing for the show like romance at all, their idea of romance is something typical and boring like Talisa and Robb. So they don't think these things are important. But the little things are the big things here.

If they can do the Histories and Lore in an organized way they can do it for the regular show scenes as well.

Those two things don't compare at all. The Histories and Lore are standalone bits organized around a single topic. The commentary tracks are episode-long and based on rewatches of the episode.

Oh, definitely. It's funny, I have no hope for any of these stories, this is a really dismal book series. But there are little things you want to see, and they are so good, they are almost enough. That's why we get disappointed when we don't see them on the show. I don't think the guys writing for the show like romance at all, their idea of romance is something typical and boring like Talisa and Robb. So they don't think these things are important. But the little things are the big things here.

Fully agreed.

I'm hopeful when it comes to Jaime and Brienne though, they did a good job with their arc last season (including an amazing show-only scene), and Jaime is going to be giving her a gorgeous blue armor this season, and it seems like we're going to have a proper teary goodbye scene : those are their additions, which means imo they're very fond of them and are trying to get the adaptation right.

Can't say the same for other arcs though.

I find it funny that so many people seemed to have liked GRRM's commentary. I found it to be the most awkward, if only because it was clear the writer has not read any of the books and kept saying things like "... doesn't this happen in the book?" and it was like ... No, no it doesn't happen. At all.

I was also disappointed with Maise/Sophie/Isaac's commentary, and they were always my favorites in the past two seasons. I remember Maise would always point out interesting camera shots and angles in the past but this time around they really were going on their own tangents.

I've really enjoyed the rest of the commentaries so far. I still have yet to watch the commentaries for 8-10, but I plan on doing that today and tomorrow.

Nikolaj/Gwendolyn was by far my favorite this time around. His comments of the pointless nudities and sex scenes reminded me a lot of people on these forums. It was like one of them was plucked right out and put into the commentary to voice his grievances, but on top of that they both did such an awesome job with talking about the preparations they took for their roles and discussing the actual scenes as well.

As far as the Stark kids commentary goes, to start with the show picked a terrible episode for the three of them, because none of their characters have any especially interesting material in it. Sophie has the dumb comedy scene with Loras, and then the gigantic cheat where the show robs her of one of Sansa's best scenes (though her talking about how she did the crying bit by imagining her brother dying was an interesting footnote, at least). Isaac sits there and watches Meera and Osha argue about rabbit-skinning. And for Maisie they managed to pick the one episode where Arya isn't the main focus of the scenes she appears in.

They attempted to do a percussion version but Isaac couldn't whistle lol!

I've decided that the worst commentaries are with Michelle McLaren. She was with GRRM and then with John and Hannah for episode 8 as well and those are the two commentaries (along with the Stark kids) where they just talked about locations and went on all sorts of random tangents. Really don't get why they needed her on two different commentaries. I realize everything she shot was split between episodes 7 and 8 ... but yeah. Really would have liked to see Peter Dinklage in her place for episode 8.

The commentary Michelle and Richard did for The Red Wedding was so moving. :(

Fully agreed.

I'm hopeful when it comes to Jaime and Brienne though, they did a good job with their arc last season (including an amazing show-only scene), and Jaime is going to be giving her a gorgeous blue armor this season, and it seems like we're going to have a proper teary goodbye scene : those are their additions, which means imo they're very fond of them and are trying to get the adaptation right.

Can't say the same for other arcs though.

That's true, and a good sign. I just hope they appreciate his touches more, he does have a way with telling these stories, they are, after all, his stories, and these are things that so many readers have enjoyed, so by all means, keep them. These classic lines could not be more perfect for these characters to say.

I also liked NCW calling Tyrion out, there's a little dance going on there, but Cogman admits he is "writing to the Tyrion of our show":

NCW: "And making wrong choices, you could argue, right? Which is interesting. Why didn't he just take off with Shae? Why is he still there? But he's got a taste for the game, that's the thing, isn't it... But isn't there a little difference, is he as... isn't he a little less concerned with Sansa in the books than he is in our show?... But also the fact that they don't stand up to him!"

I'm not through all the commentaries yet, but I liked the one with Kit Harington, Rose Leslie, and director Alik Sakharov. Kit and Rose weren't all goofy and "OMG this actor is amazing!!!!". I thought they did well keeping the conversation flowing and they both asked Alik some good questions. Alik seemed a little shy or maybe unsure of what to say so having them with him kept things moving. Hearing about how they filled the wall climb was pretty interesting.

I'm such a dork, I'd love for each episode to have multiple commentaries.

See, I had the opposite reaction. I found this commentary very boring, and would up paying more attention to the dialogue subtitles. I find it little more than background noise.

If they can do the Histories and Lore in an organized way they can do it for the regular show scenes as well. It's annoying when people are commenting on scenes they had nothing to do with and have no background information about.

That is a completely different animal, a single actor reading a 3-5 minute piece in isolation of other actors. What you are asking for is not practical if you round-table it, and would sound horribly disjointed if you just spliced together a lot of different actors into a single episode. I guess you could just have the show-runners to all of the commentary, but I think that'd be a shame.

I really emjoyed the commentaries with jamie/brienne; catyln/robb; and Sam/Gilly. The actor who plays Sam seems like he would be a hoot to have have a pint with.

I really enjoyed the commentary for the hottube scene and why they chose to leave certain parts out. Also, I never quite thought of that scene as Jamie's "rebirth", as it was presented. I loved the comment: "Nice how the King in the North has a bathrobe in his tent"

GRRMs comments were very awkward. He clearly did not care for many of the changes made (although he was diplomatic about it).

One of the more awkward commentaries was Dianna Rig and Lena Heady. Rig is very proper, formal, and informative (as expected). The contrast with Heady's repeated F-Bombs was quite interesting. Did not make her look very good.

For next season, they really need to ban the word "brilliant" and discussions about stealing set props.

I thought it was interesting that they got hung up on Jaime's book boner (the bathhouse scene). That's not what this scene was about! Well, yeah, it was. A scene doesn't have to be one thing or another, many things can be going on at the same time. Two of the directors said they were going for something more than friends in their scenes, and a lot of us picked that up in the books because of all of those little things going on beneath the surface. I'll take the call me Jaime moment over Jon and Ygritte smooching against the sunset.

^Well you can't show erections on American TV if you want just an 18 plus/R rating. That's pretty much what Bryan Cogman implied when he explained his rationale over Nikolaj's for adapting the scene as he did.

Another note from the Gemma Jackson and Michelle Clapton commentary was that they thought Joe Dempsie had improved in his performance and become more natural as Gendry, implying that they (I don't remember which lady said it) thought he had been somewhat worse at it in earlier seasons.

Well, that's taking things literally. My point was, arousal represents attraction, and that was shown in other ways in that scene. There's no need to say a scene represents this or that, there are many layers to the interactions between two people, there was a lot going on in that scene.

Archived