Could Robb have married Margery?

Euronor

If you had to fall into a woman’s arms, my son, why couldn’t they have been Margaery Tyrell’s?

Catelyn

Robb himself mulls on the fact that he should have traded sansa for jaime and married sansa to loras.

But how likely are either of these scenarios?

Littlefinger had already gone to an angry loras to convince them to join the lannisters, and when Tywin here's of stannis' attack on KL he turns around and joins up with a tyrell force so Littlefinger's parley was successful. The tyrells want to join the winning side and Mace wants margery to be queen (in the south). An unlikely prospect if she weds robb who is the king in the NORTH.

Sansa and Loras, i think would've been more likely but trading the kingslayer for Sansa with no guarantee the tyrells would actually follow through with the marriage would make this a risky choice i think. One lost battle by the starks and the tyrells would change their mind.

Mace wants Margaery to be queen of all of Westeros, not just the south, and not just the north.

Had Robb wanted to marry Margaery, he would have had to have done so before Renly declared himself king - which was before Robb was declared king, mind you. So this scenario would have been extremely unlikely. It would have been so anyway, since Robb never had any intention to sit on the IT, and that is exactly where the Tyrells wanted Margaery to end up.

A Sansa-Loras marriage could have worked, if the Tyrells hadn't sided with the Lannisters after Renly's death. Even if Renly had lived, it could have worked. Renly was willing to let Robb rule the North, if only he was acknowledged as king. the two armies would have joined, defeated Stannis and the Lannisters, and a marriage between Sansa and Loras could have sealed the deal.

Trading Sansa for Jaime, however much Cersei might have wanted to accept such a deal, wouldn't have happened, since Robb would have risked losing all his bannermen for trading their most useful captive for a girl.

I think it could have happened if Cat hadn't been in Renly's tent when he died. That and her escape made her an immediate suspect in the eyes of the Tyrells.

After Renly the Tyrells were kingless and were enemies of both Stannis and Tywin. They needed allies to protect themselves. Cat could have persuaded them of going to Riverrun and join their strenght to Edmure's. Maybe Cat could have sent a raven to Robb about this and he would have refrained from bedding Jeyne. And even if he did, Edmure was still available and Cat could have pushed for a marriage between him and Margaery (Westeros' own William and Kate).

Littlefinger was key for the Tyrell-Lannister alliance because there's no way in hell Mace would have risked his chances and fought Stannis with no guarantee first. So if LF couldn't find them in Bitterbridge, there's no alliance.

As for the Freys, assuming Robb did marry Jeyne, I don't think Walder would have dared to attack the Tyrells. And assuming Robb marries Marg, Mace would have pushed hard for the Iron Throne and I think Robb would have agreed, maybe

If the Robbwind crackpot is true then the two could still get married! :love:

Is Robbwind theory about Robb being alive in Grey Wind's body?

I mean, we saw his dead body and his wolfs severed head. But what if Robb's head is sewed to Grey Wind's body, and it lives!!

Mace tyrell, is seen as a fool and very protective of his one daughter, my guess is even if the marraige was offered and it being a very good marriage, 'the future warden of the north' mace would not have allowed his daughter to go and live in the harsh environment of the north, or allow her to live their without his protection.

The only thing that would of made MAce turn down his daughter being Queen of the Iron Throne is a letter from Robb saying "hey Mace crown yourself like I did. Dont you wanna be a king?" The Tyrells are so ambitious I think it would of worked but only in the small window of Renlys death but before Littlefinger brokers the allaince

Nah, the Tyrells wanted the Iron Throne, they had no interest in the cause of Northern independence. Unlike the Riverlands, the Reach wasn't in any position to secede and join Robb's kingdom, since they're nowhere near the North. They're right next to the Westerlands, so if they did secede, the Lannisters could easily box them in and keep them isolated from their Northern allies. Also, from a cultural perspective, the Reach has far more in common with the Westerlands and the Stormlands than with the North.

Even in the world of Ice and Fire, the law of geographical determinism holds sway.

The Tyrells aren't interested in the North, never were. When Sansa was served to them on the silver tablet, well, it would have hurt no one to have her marry Willas (or Loras in the TV-series), and in case Robb had won that would have given them safety. But they would have never given Margery to Robb, nor would they have fought for Robb.

I think there's a good chance that Marg, if she reached Robb in time, could have persuaded him both to marry her and to go for the Iron Throne. If Tywin managed to defeat Stannis without Tyrell help, Robb would have had every reason to go for it; if Stannis won, but then offended people by burning the Red Keep godswood and the Great Sept of Baelor, again, Robb might have been persuaded to overthrow him.

If Robb was going to go for the Iron Throne it would have been a fantastic match. They would get the most populous region in the Kingdoms joining them which would swing the momentum in their direction, at that point the Vae and Dorne might jump in to try to get some of the spoils.

The Tyrells would love it because it would make Margary the Queen, and she could likely manipulate te living hell out of Robb and it would drastically strenghten the Tyrell bloodline with Sansa marrying Willas.

Archived