Paper book or Ebook?

sam90

Hi,

We know that with the rise of technological devices such as tablets, Ereader, smartphones ect that Ebooks have become more popular and accessible, baiscally an alternative to paper.

This thread is to get your opinions on this question: Do you prefer the Paper book or ebook medium for reading?

Please do not say you like both, I know most people will choose that option, it's too easy an anwser. The question which one you prefer the most.

As for me it will be the paper medium. It just feels good to turn pages and hold a good book in your hands and carrying it around. I personally found that more enjoyable. Not saying that I don't like ebook, quite the contrary, but I'll choose a paper book before a ebook for serious reading.

Same thing with newspaper. I like my weekend mornings wth a newspaper in actual paper. Flipping the pages around, even it take some places on the table. :)

Just find it would be clumsy to eat over a tablet and touching screen to read a newspaper. Just a feeling. I know many people are confortable with that but me not that much.

But why can't people say both?

I like have lots and lots of actual books, but I am limited on space and books are heavy to carry around.

I have all my "specials" in books, and I will buy odd books at cons, but the majority of the things I read are on the nook. I like the ease of getting the books and the lightness of carrying it around with me.

E-Book.

I mostly dislike reading physical books now. They occupy space, they're heavy, they're almost impossible to mark and annotate without defacing the book, and so forth. The only real upside is that you can flip to wherever if you want to, which tends to be trickier with e-books unless you make good use of bookmarks and notes.

I've grown to appreciate ebooks and read them almost exclusively. however, if there is an author or book that I'm particularly excited about, I buy the ebook and the dead tree book. republic of thieves is the last time that I did that but plan to do it again when the causal angel, hannu rajiniemi's next book is released I will be doing the same.

WB,

E-Book.

I mostly dislike reading physical books now. They occupy space, they're heavy, they're almost impossible to mark and annotate without defacing the book, and so forth. The only real upside is that you can flip to wherever if you want to, which tends to be trickier with e-books unless you make good use of bookmarks and notes.

But the copyright holder can't delete my paper copy if they get into a dispute with the seller.

I prefer paper, though I do read Ebooks also, I like that I can get stuff for free that way. Stuff that I really love I buy in paper copy, my books fill several book cases and many of them are old. I do agree that hardback books are heavy, but no more so than my iPad and paperbacks are considerably lighter.

Mr.OJ,

What measures? Are you making a new copy of the work that is stored somewhere other than your ereader?

Download a copy of the ebook you wish to preserve onto your desktop PC, then place that copy onto a flash drive or other device. Perfectly legal and it won't disappear.

I own a reader, it's nice to have in the pocket when you take public transports, and it allows me to read works in the public domain for free, but working in the software industry, I definitely don't trust anything that has to stay stored remotely, is controlled by some corporation, and depends on an electronic device with a specific standard to be read. It's ok for stuff I intend to forget immediately after, but what I want to keep, I buy a physical copy.

the dead tree book.

If you insist on calling paper "dead tree", you should call ebooks "fossil fuels, charcoal, uranium and non renewable resources books" or something like that.

Download a copy of the ebook you wish to preserve onto your desktop PC, then place that copy onto a flash drive or other device. Perfectly legal and it won't disappear.

Legality depends on the country.

This precaution also depends on the flash drive/hard drive not suddenly stopping functioning. I have seen a lot of digital medium just crash and lose everything on them, I never saw a book do that. Ease of use is a real selling point, and having to copy your things on multiple mediums, organise them and pay for their safety (in case of NAS/harddrives) is an hassle

I do both. I have books that I adore, that are so heavily marked, and used they look like they have been through a storm. Generally, I buy ebooks, just because of storage issues. I have a room with floor to ceiling built-in book shelves on two walls, and they're just about full.

I purchase most books as e-books. If I adore them and know I'll re-read, I purchase the hard back or the paperback, depending on how much I love it.

Also, there are periods where I'm traveling fairly regularly. I like carrying a couple of paper books for the plane, and my ereader for the other stuff I might want to read.

I'm greedy when it comes to books. I love the e-reader for the convenience, and the storage.

Archived