Women and children first

Guess who's back

Children yes women no.

I would normally agree with this, but what if the children are too young to be on their own? Mine are 2 1/2 years old, does being their mother earn me a spot to safety?

I don't agree. I have a son. Why a woman's life would be more important than his?

If that's a reply to me, then you must have misunderstood. Obviously, children come first. I just wondered if one parent -not necessarily the mother, the father would do just fine as far as I'm concerned- should be allowed to join the very young ones.

I would normally agree with this, but what if the children are too young to be on their own? Mine are 2 1/2 years old, does being their mother earn me a spot to safety?

My preferred order would be children then parents for the above reason and fairly intertwined. But since that wasn't what the OP was asking I gave the simple answer you responded to.

If that's a reply to me, then you must have misunderstood. Obviously, children come first. I just wondered if one parent -not necessarily the mother, the father would do just fine as far as I'm concerned- should be allowed to join the very young ones.

I wasn't replying to you, it was a general reply. My son is 13, so, it's not exactly a "child", but still, even if he was 20, I don't like the idea of him having to die because someone decides a "woman" should live instead only because she's a woman.

Yes, especially if you are still capable of having children.

As I see it, that's the real basis of the questoin; Titanic on a much larger scale.

Any society that does not place its continued biological existance as its highest priority will die out.

In an ideal world of world equality, it would be a lottery where the lifeboat seats are given at random based on no preferece of age or gender.

In the current world and especially titanic world, any man who will take a seat before a woman/child is a cowardly piece of shit.

Women and children are equal, women these days are often treated and brought up like children.

It's changing for better but slowly.

I've always assumed that children were traditionally given first dibs on survival because of their potential to grow into useful adults, and women were prioritized by extension because they are the traditional caretakers of those existing children and also producers of more babies.

It is a social expectation that I guess I would personally be likely to abide by in the event of a disaster. But it is interesting to think about. What if you have a dude who is on the verge of a major scientific or medical breakthrough vs. an infant? What if it is a young lady vs. a devoted father who 5 kids to look after at home? Nobody likes to think about a grown man taking the spot of a baby, but when there are 7 billion of us humans around to continue the survival of the species, maybe the rule is a little antiquated.

Of course, knowing myself as I do, I'd feel like crap for the rest of my life if I did that, so I might as well go ahead and drown no matter what I think about the rule.

In a case like a plane crash that's time sensitive, it's probably best if people file off in row order as quickly as possible without dithering about order. If you're next in line, don't start a little argument about, oh no madam PLEASE, you must get off first, just spend 2 minutes pushing your way through the line, no one will mind. Everyone moving as fast as possible in order of seating while helping those next to them who can't move as fast seems like the highest chance of saving the most people.

Of course, knowing myself as I do, I'd feel like crap for the rest of my life if I did that, so I might as well go ahead and drown no matter what I think about the rule.

Harsh. If Survivor's Guilt is so terrible, it must be because living is just so much better than the alternative. I think I'd have to take my chances with the guilt.

Ok, more serious now.

"Women and children first" phrase is old, certainly old enough that it came to be in societies ruled by men. So is it just chivalry or is there, more logically, interest as well?

It was always the rulers and those most valuable to them that came first. Only when it came to commoners is where the discussed rule applied. The rulers can only keep on ruling if they have a population of their subjects and this made sure that there would be such a future. Sometime soldiers came before W&C, depends on the situation.

"Like" on the Titanic?

Yes, that's just the way it is.

Even if I didn't disagree with you, this phrase would make me cringe.

Depending on what is happening, the answer is "closest to the evac whatever in an orderly fashion". Possibly the able-bodied help people able to move with a minimum amount of assistance, but waiting around to load up all the women/children/wounded while there are totally valuable escape things potentially going to waste is a problem.

Archived