will Varys rescue Sansa from the Vale?

Lord Warwyck

Unless Varys and LF are secretly working together I don't see Varys even knowing where she is.

I wouldn't be surprised if LF knows about Aegon though and plans for Sansa to marry him after her annulment. He would think to rule through Sansa.

Being wanted for Joffrey's murder may not make any difference to Aegon who would claim Joffrey wasn't really king anyway. In fact, bumping off the competition might be seen as an edge in the "marry the new Targ" race.

Well Sansa could be useful to Varys for oh so many reasons and Ser Shadrach is in the Vale...but really I would prefer to see Sansa rescue herself.

Which might be exactly why Martin wouldn't do that-he loves disappointing us.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that after Sansa takes care of Littlefinger and reveals herself to the Vale Lords that Varys might try to give her as a bride to Aegon to ensure that the North once again becomes part of the kingdom, but of course since Sansa took down Littlefinger for trying to trade her as a horse she will refuse. And with that Sansa has fulfilled the list of suitors according to that Harrenhal jousting thingy.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that after Sansa takes care of Littlefinger and reveals herself to the Vale Lords that Varys might try to give her as a bride to Aegon to ensure that the North once again becomes part of the kingdom, but of course since Sansa took down Littlefinger for trying to trade her as a horse she will refuse. And with that Sansa has fulfilled the list of suitors according to that Harrenhal jousting thingy.

That would be nice!

That would work, very, very well. Of course it raises the question of who or if Sansa will actually truly marry..

A random bastard daughter of Littlefinger appears out of the blue around the time of Sansa Stark's dissapearance, and Varys is not a tiny bit suspicious about it? Not to mention that Varys must be aware of LF's machinations in the Vale...even the Lords Declarant were suspicious of him

The Mad Mouse works for Varys, that much is clear. He might have wanted to check out the Vale on his own accord, but maybe Varys also told him it was worth a look.

As for Sansa, she would the best match for Aegon, even more so than Arianne, given her ties to three kingdoms.

The clansmen don't remain in their lands, they attack the roads and villages of the Vale folk. Small parties are their favorite target. How would they know they are married? And more importantly how would this help the Mouse from kidnapping her? To get to the coast you most first take the roads, which again are filled with clansmen.

Edit: Not to mention the port lords are Littlefinger's BFFs.

There aren't all that many clansmen. Tyrion's men were largely used up in various campaigns already. Those are the ones who got arms and armor from the Lannisters. Some may have made their way home, of course, but not all that many, and the stay-at-homes don't have good weapons. Then, the Vale lords aren't powerless to maintain order. The Vale didn't take part in the Wot5K so their forces are at full strength. Lysa had kept the Vale Lords from suppressing the hill tribes and now she's gone.

A random bastard daughter of Littlefinger appears out of the blue around the time of Sansa Stark's dissapearance, and Varys is not a tiny bit suspicious about it? Not to mention that Varys must be aware of LF's machinations in the Vale...even the Lords Declarant were suspicious of him

The Mad Mouse works for Varys, that much is clear. He might have wanted to check out the Vale on his own accord, but maybe Varys also told him it was worth a look.

As for Sansa, she would the best match for Aegon, even more so than Arianne, given her ties to three kingdoms.

Why do we take the Mad Mouse at his word? He's too smart to be working for Varys, whose minions tend to wind up dead. I'm convinced that he's playing his own game.

Why do we take the Mad Mouse at his word? He's too smart to be working for Varys, whose minions tend to wind up dead. I'm convinced that he's playing his own game.

How do we know that Varys' minions end up dead? For all we know they could be shipped back to Illyrio who makes a dandy profit selling them, or given to LF for his brothels overseas.

That would work, very, very well. Of course it raises the question of who or if Sansa will actually truly marry..

I don't think that Sansa will marry at all.For several reasons 1) too similar to Elizabeth I 2) already thought she doesn't want to wed again, not now and perhaps ever. 3) would be a startling contrast with how she started in the series and staying officially "single" is something I could totally see grrm ending her narrative.

Maybe Varys and Illyrio are hoping that both Sansa and Arianne could be Aegon's brides because polygamy is what the Targaryens did once :dunno:

You could be right. Hedge knights and sellswords aren't exactly honorable, and LF has bought the lords of the Vale, why not a sellsword?

But who else would be willing to pay good cash for Sansa? Surely not the Iron Throne in its current state, begging for money to the Iron Bank as it is.

If the Mad Mouse wants to get paid, I think Varys/IIIyrio are his best option

If Varys does take action regarding Sansa in the Vale, it won't be to help her. I think Ser Shadrich would send a raven to KL, and Cersei send men bearing the king's seal to retrieve Sansa to be brought back to KL for trial. If Dany arrives around this time the Vale lords would have their eyes set on something else making it easier for Cersei's men to move in and out. If not, still men would be reluctant to attack a party with the king's seal acting with royal authority.

Well Sansa could be useful to Varys for oh so many reasons and Ser Shadrach is in the Vale...but really I would prefer to see Sansa rescue herself.

It's kinda hard for her to rescue herself because she can't simply leave the Vale by herself. She can't fight, for instance. She wouldn't last not because she's not capable but because there are more capable people than her.

Also, Arianne is Aegon's cousin. he already has Doran's spears if he wants and she recognises him. Marrying him to Sansa would give him control of North and Dorne.

If Varys does take action regarding Sansa in the Vale, it won't be to help her. I think Ser Shadrich would send a raven to KL, and Cersei send men bearing the king's seal to retrieve Sansa to be brought back to KL for trial. If Dany arrives around this time the Vale lords would have their eyes set on something else making it easier for Cersei's men to move in and out. If not, still men would be reluctant to attack a party with the king's seal acting with royal authority.

The High Road is closed by snow. They'd have to come through the ports.

In any event, there's really no story reason to bring Sansa back to King's Landing that I can see. The Vale is her stage to become an actor in her own right. All being toted off elsewhere does is make her a pawn again, when she should be starting to assert herself.

In any event, there's really no story reason to bring Sansa back to King's Landing that I can see. The Vale is her stage to become an actor in her own right. All being toted off elsewhere does is make her a pawn again, when she should be starting to assert herself.

She needs to be saved by Arya and possibly the Hound Sandor with her from KL.

She needs to be saved by Arya and possibly the Hound Sandor with her from KL.

How about she saves herself by eliminating the obvious threat to her, Littlefinger? I find this idea that someone will save Sansa quite laughable. Her being saved by someone is a regression to her character development.

I don't think they'd come by the High Road. KL is a port, and they have ships at hand.

I think there is a story reason. Sansa gets to demonstrate her courage at the trial, and who says she can't make her own base in KL. If Jon comes to KL with the dragons and the relam behind after R+L=J is revealed with the Others taken care of, then Sansa could be what Cersei uses to keep Jon from taking KL. I don't see the reason for Sandor to come to her aid if she doesn't need help. Bran's dream hints that Sandor and Jaime will be there against Robert Strong with Sansa in the picture, so I think that points to her being brought back to KL.

Archived