Hugos 2014 - countdown to the vote

MinDonner

so aSoS, the best fantasy novel in decades (maybe ever) doesn't win a Hugo but the atrocious television episode of it's most gut wrenching scene does?

Fuck the Hugo awards.

\m/

Suck It, Dr Who!

I thought it was great that Day of the Doctor was even nominated. It's really one of the best episodes from the new series, hands down (I don't like comparing new and old).

Rains of Castamere definitely deserved to win, though.

Had there been only one Dr. Who related nomination I doubt GoT wins. Who has been splitting the vote between multipule episodes for years. It'a simply that GoT is popular enough in its own right to take advantage of divided who votes.

Vote splitting is not an issue with the ballot system used for the Hugos.

Wow. WoT was voted AGAINST with some fervor if I read that right. Candidate for 1, but instead ends up at 4, meaning that those in support of other books bandwagoned against it, given the occasion ;)

Not sure what you mean by candidate for 1; all the nominees are candidates by definition. Nearly two thirds of voters who expressed a preference supported WoT over No Award. No bandwagoning, voters just preferred other books.

The 5% requirement needs to go.

Not sure what you mean by candidate for 1; all the nominees are candidates by definition. Nearly two thirds of voters who expressed a preference supported WoT over No Award. No bandwagoning, voters just preferred other books.

The 5% requirement needs to go.

Oh he's just one of those WoT hates that's going to be all smug for the next year because it didn't win.

WoT comes 2nd in the first race, but only comes 4th in the end. Meaning that those who voted other books also voted together against WoT.

Meaning that most of the people whose favourite was Ancillary Justice preferred Parasite and/or Neptune's Brood over WoT, but also thought WoT was better than Warbound. Only 860 people actively voted against WoT, rather than for other nominees (not an insignificant number, but a very clear minority).

Meaning that most of the people whose favourite was Ancillary Justice preferred Parasite and/or Neptune's Brood over WoT

I call that bandwagon. "Parasite" was the last in the first pool and managed to be still on top of both WoT and Warbound.

Note how in all the other categories the distribution is regular. Only the WoT got that kind of organized vote against.

I call that bandwagon. "Parasite" was the last in the first pool and managed to be still on top of both WoT and Warbound.

That just means that most people who liked Parasite liked Ancillary Justice even more. They weren't lying about preferring Parasite to WoT.

Archived