Hugos 2014 - countdown to the vote

MinDonner

Why is this argument even taking place. There was certainly a large number of people that wanted to see anything but WoT win. There was a general dislike that it was nominated to begin with a lot of voters. Of course these voter voted as much actively against WoT as they did for their favorites to win.

Why is this argument even taking place. There was certainly a large number of people that wanted to see anything but WoT win. There was a general dislike that it was nominated to begin with a lot of voters. Of course these voter voted as much actively against WoT as they did for their favorites to win.

As is their right.

Just as the weird high place of 'no award' in the fancast category, I wonder what caused that. I would guess either people don't like the category, or don't think some members* of the community should be in a fan category.

*ie those who get paid in other roles.

The nomination statistics are interesting reading - in the short story category, the eventual winner got 43 nominations and only just scraped past the 5% rule*. In Graphic Story, xkcd got 36 nominations compared to 164 for Saga - this was also the category with the lowest threshold, two of the nominees got on the ballot with 28. Neil Gaiman also got nominated for The Ocean at the End of the Lane but withdrew.

*seriously, there were 865 nominations and 5% of that is 43.25

That's part of the reason I might attempt to introduce the idea of a "nominating" Membership for WSFS in 2016.

We do have nominating memberships as far as I understand. Any and all (supporting or full) members of the previous and any upcoming worldcons. What would a nominating membership add to that?

Seli,

Well supporting memberships are still not cheap particularly for younger readers. My idea is a nominal fee $10 or less to encourage people to participate in the nomination process. They can upgrade to supporting if they want to vote. It's the "gateway" drug to further participation.

;)

Because I interpret this in a slightly more barbed way: the WoT had a pretty big fandom pushing it. It was threatening to win. And the WoT at the Hugo is like a barbarian invasion. Something that DOES NOT belong to the Hugo.

So what we have here is the Hugo establishment that walled up against this attack to the status quo, and in the end the establishment is still more numerous that the WoT fandom push. Essentially they resisted what would have been a compromising assault. They kept the Hugo "pure", and if the WoT won, then the Hugo was DONE. It would have completely lost its identity as a prize. That's what was at stake.

And it's especially telling that, from the reviews I'm reading, the novel that won is a perfect example of Hugo conservatism.

It's more a tribal war than "which one is the best novel". It's a certain group of people versus another.

Because I interpret this in a slightly more barbed way: the WoT had a pretty big fandom pushing it. It was threatening to win. And the WoT at the Hugo is like a barbarian invasion. Something that DOES NOT belong to the Hugo.

So what we have here is the Hugo establishment that walled up against this attack to the status quo, and in the end the establishment is still more numerous that the WoT fandom push. Essentially they resisted what would have been a compromising assault. They kept the Hugo "pure", and if the WoT won, then the Hugo was DONE. It would have completely lost its identity as a prize. That's what was at stake.

And it's especially telling that, from the reviews I'm reading, the novel that won is a perfect example of Hugo conservatism.

It's more a tribal war than "which one is the best novel". It's a certain group of people versus another.

You ever think about, I dunno, actually reading the book?

I'm shocked.

(Is he there? Cause if he is could you throw some rotten fruit at him for me? :P)

I'm pretty sure he wasn't there. It was noticeable that there was far less applause when his name was read out than for most of the other nominees (also true to a lesser extent for some of the other authors apparently put on the ballot by the same block vote). If I remember correctly the winner's acceptance speech was complimentary towards Chiang and De Bodard's stories in the same category, but failed to mention Day or Torgersen.

I thought the winners were generally reasonable, even if Ancillary Justice was the only thing I voted for which actually won. I think the highlight of the ceremony was Kameron Hurley's acceptance speeches which I thought were an interesting change from the blandness of most acceptance speeches.

You ever think about, I dunno, actually reading the book?

No? There's nothing about the book that makes it interesting to my eyes. I did look because maybe it was interesting. But it was not.

I've ordered this week Heroes Die. Because I read some stuff that make the book interesting to me.

If I co-opted the idea it wasn't deliberate. My wife suggested it to me when we were discussing ways to increase participation and interest in the Hugos last year.

I hope you didn't think I meant that you stole the idea. It's just been around and around on here. I did a search, but it looks like most of the Hugo thread get culled pretty quickly.

Archived