Videogames: The War (for equality) Has Just Begun

Jace, Extat

Trying to play Destiny. There's a decent thunderstorm here, and I keep getting kicked... I don't know if it's the storm or the load on the beta servers.

:dunno:

Mass Effect 4 stuff. Exploration will be a heavy focus and we will be spending a lot of time in the new, redesigned and apparently not-shit Mako. Also, hints that the game will be set during or before the timeline of the original games. Apparently, "During Shepard's lifetime but not involving Shepard."

Mass Effect 4 stuff. Exploration will be a heavy focus and we will be spending a lot of time in the new, redesigned and apparently not-shit Mako. Also, hints that the game will be set during or before the timeline of the original games. Apparently, "During Shepard's lifetime but not involving Shepard."

I'm disappointed. I was hoping they will put all this "War against Reapers" stuff behind them. I also don't believe prequels such as first contact war or conflict against Batarians would be interesting enough and besides you know how it all ends, so they would be pretty boring for fans IMO.

I think It's highly possible there won’t be any galaxy-spanning conflicts in ME4. You might spend the game battling crime syndicates and getting involved in local politics if different areas. There's many interesting stories that can be told that don't have to have galaxy-wide implications.

And re the Mako - I'm happy to have it back. I always quite liked the idea of the Mako (exploring lots of new planets in the vehicle). It was the implementation that was a little lacking. So hopefully they can get it right this time.

Anyway... I played a decent amount of Destiny on the weekend. I set it downloading Thursday evening and was a bit surprised when I checked the progress before heading to bed. It was 14% complete and "ready to play". I know when installing from disc on XB1 that you can start playing before games are fully installed - I hadn't realised the same was true when downloading. Quite neat - but I needed to get to bed, so couldn't take advantage of it right then.

As for the game, I enjoyed it and think I will probably pick it up at retail. I really suck at shooters, though. The last I played to any real extent was probably Doom 2 (single player campaign only - never really done multiplayer death-match and it doesn't interest me). I did have one run in the crucible and was about as hopeless as I expected. The co-op team strike was a little more fun. I came last on the kills list in that one too, but was top in assists - so hopefully I contributed at least something. And the campaign as a whole was fun enough - and it was enough of an RPG to keep me interested (but for my tastes I'd wish it to build on that side of things far more. But I recognise the game isn't really being aimed at my tastes, so I can't fault it for that).

I played the wizard character (or warlock or whatever it was called). I usually tend to play straight up soldier types and figure I'd probably play the Titan at launch, so I thought I would try out a different class in beta. I just barely made it to level 8 with that character - finishing the story missions and just having a brief look at explore mode and finishing a couple of bounties (running around lower levels punching everyone to death for 30 melee kills without dying was a bit of fun). I also took a Titan to level 4.

Now I'm a little undecided over what class I'd play at launch. I had figured that the titan would be better as a n00b - with higher defence and straight up play style. But now I'm wondering if my n00b-ness might be better served by creeping around, staying back and sniping with long range weapons as a wizard, rather than getting up in the face of the enemies. And I quite liked the glide ability and missed having that as a Titan.

Anyway, I think I'll pick the game up at retail. I don't expect to see much time in the crucible, though. I pity the poor team that would get saddled with having me on their side.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping they will put all this "War against Reapers" stuff behind them. I also don't believe prequels such as first contact war or conflict against Batarians would be interesting enough and besides you know how it all ends, so they would be pretty boring for fans IMO.

There are three types of games I would like to see in the ME universe:

1) massive strategy game - set in whatever timeline

2) RPG game, heavy on the RPG, less on action/shooter stuff set prior to the ME games but only on the Citadel - main character could be the first human C-Sec officer. The Citadel was so huge and we only saw a little of it.

3) Similar gameplay and style to what we've had so far, but set way way in a future where the ending of the Reaper War doesn't matter too much.

Just had my fovorite bit of Mass Effect dialogue to date. Joker says, "The stealth drive is engaged. So nobody will be detecting us unless the entire crew starts singing the Russian national anthem."

:rofl:

Loved the Red October nod!

I think It's highly possible there wont be any galaxy-spanning conflicts in ME4. You might spend the game battling crime syndicates and getting involved in local politics if different areas. There's many interesting stories that can be told that don't have to have galaxy-wide implications.

And re the Mako - I'm happy to have it back. I always quite liked the idea of the Mako (exploring lots of new planets in the vehicle). It was the implementation that was a little lacking. So hopefully they can get it right this time.

Anyway... I played a decent amount of Destiny on the weekend. I set it downloading Thursday evening and was a bit surprised when I checked the progress before heading to bed. It was 14% complete and "ready to play". I know when installing from disc on XB1 that you can start playing before games are fully installed - I hadn't realised the same was true when downloading. Quite neat - but I needed to get to bed, so couldn't take advantage of it right then.

As for the game, I enjoyed it and think I will probably pick it up at retail. I really suck at shooters, though. The last I played to any real extent was probably Doom 2 (single player campaign only - never really done multiplayer death-match and it doesn't interest me). I did have one run in the crucible and was about as hopeless as I expected. The co-op team strike was a little more fun. I came last on the kills list in that one too, but was top in assists - so hopefully I contributed at least something. And the campaign as a whole was fun enough - and it was enough of an RPG to keep me interested (but for my tastes I'd wish it to build on that side of things far more. But I recognise the game isn't really being aimed at my tastes, so I can't fault it for that).

I played the wizard character (or warlock or whatever it was called). I usually tend to play straight up soldier types and figure I'd probably play the Titan at launch, so I thought I would try out a different class in beta. I just barely made it to level 8 with that character - finishing the story missions and just having a brief look at explore mode and finishing a couple of bounties (running around lower levels punching everyone to death for 30 melee kills without dying was a bit of fun). I also took a Titan to level 4.

Now I'm a little undecided over what class I'd play at launch. I had figured that the titan would be better as a n00b - with higher defence and straight up play style. But now I'm wondering if my n00b-ness might be better served by creeping around, staying back and sniping with long range weapons as a wizard, rather than getting up in the face of the enemies. And I quite liked the glide ability and missed having that as a Titan.

Anyway, I think I'll pick the game up at retail. I don't expect to see much time in the crucible, though. I pity the poor team that would get saddled with having me on their side.

This sums up my feelings on Destiny as well. I'm terrible at FPS, but the game was fun and I'm intrigued by the concept.

I played a Warlock in the Alpha. Then made all 3 for the Beta to try them out. Then made a 2nd Warlock. Titan was alright, I just thought their armor was pretty boring. Didn't like the Hunter much, but one of the other subclasses might be better.

So, Warlock for me. I hated Glide at first, until I figured out how to use it. The other classes can't compete for mobility.

I was pretty horrible in the Crucible at first too. A couple of things really helped me: 1) stick with your teammates, 2) pay attention to the radar, and 3) use an Auto Rifle. That, and a bit of practice in general, has brought me up to being a fairly average player. Good enough that I don't feel bad about being there.

"Noobtastic Not All That Late Mass Effect 3 Playthrough" question.

Possible spoilerific questions about Quarian/Geth section

1). So if I had turned Legion over to TIM in ME2 instead of having him as a party member, what happens on the Geth dreadnought? What are the Reapers using as a signal booster? And how does the team escape?

2). I'm currently playing the "Tron" level where I go inside the consensus. I just watched a scene where Shephard comments on the pre Rannoch abandonment Quarians wearing masks. Legion says that the visions are crafted from my memory and "how many creators have you seen without their mask?" Shep says "Good point." Out of curiosity, if I had romanced Tali in ME2 (and therefore seen one without the mask) would there be a change to that scene?

"Noobtastic Not All That Late Mass Effect 3 Playthrough" question.

Possible spoilerific questions about Quarian/Geth section

1). So if I had turned Legion over to TIM in ME2 instead of having him as a party member, what happens on the Geth dreadnought? What are the Reapers using as a signal booster? And how does the team escape?

2). I'm currently playing the "Tron" level where I go inside the consensus. I just watched a scene where Shephard comments on the pre Rannoch abandonment Quarians wearing masks. Legion says that the visions are crafted from my memory and "how many creators have you seen without their mask?" Shep says "Good point." Out of curiosity, if I had romanced Tali in ME2 (and therefore seen one without the mask) would there be a change to that scene?

It's a... holographic representation of Legion

It's a... holographic representation of Legion

Interesting. I just finished the Quarian/Geth story... Is that how he appears throughout his role in the story? Seems like it would lose some of the effect that way.

I played a Warlock in the Alpha. Then made all 3 for the Beta to try them out. Then made a 2nd Warlock. Titan was alright, I just thought their armor was pretty boring. Didn't like the Hunter much, but one of the other subclasses might be better.

So, Warlock for me. I hated Glide at first, until I figured out how to use it. The other classes can't compete for mobility.

I was pretty horrible in the Crucible at first too. A couple of things really helped me: 1) stick with your teammates, 2) pay attention to the radar, and 3) use an Auto Rifle. That, and a bit of practice in general, has brought me up to being a fairly average player. Good enough that I don't feel bad about being there.

That generally works for every FPS, and helped me a lot in Destiny since I haven't played an fps in a while. In the end I still sucked, but not nearly as much as I did when the beta started :)

I regret not leveling up the Warlock I started. I got creamed because I'd say I'm a run and gun type of player, which obviously didn't work with the Warlock. So I left that and went back to the Titan. But these cool glides and powers have me feeling like I missed out.

Archived