Guardians of the Galaxy thread 2 ... Great movie, or best blockbuster of the decade?

Howdyphillip

Every single X men movie has had wing nut Rethuglicans as the bad guys, every single f.ckin one. Frankly it's boring as fuck.

Well, yeah.

The X-Men are a barely-at-all-metaphorical stand-in for racism, homophobia and other prejudice. If we ignore that time Dracula decided Storm would be a great vampire bride and most of the Mojoverse stuff, pretty much all their stories - in any medium, including the source comics - are about prejudice and persecution and reactions to being discriminated against. To tell that kind of story, you need villains who both exhibit prejudice and are powerful enough to enact it. Right-wing government types tend to fit the bill. The comics are, and always have been, full of them. If you are sick of this, you should probably go watch something else for a bit, because the thing you want to avoid is pretty fundamental to the X-Men, whether movies or comics.

ETA - this complaint is really the equivalent of saying 'all Batman's bad guys have flamboyant psychological disorders, I'm sick of that'.

It's been a while since I've seen X-men movies 1-3, but from what I recall, Magneto & Co. were the real antagonists of movies 1 and 3. The first movie had an anti-mutant politician as Magneto's motivation, but he wasn't really the "bad guy" of the movie - that was Magneto and his plan to turn a bunch of people into mutants. As to movie 3, the ethics of "the cure" aside, the real antagonist was not the company trying to create the cure and wipe out mutants, but again, Magneto trying to destroy the cure. The X-Men actually fought on the side of the government to protect the cure, even while questioning its necessity.

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/07/guardians-of-galaxy-officially-wins-weekend-box-office-pacing-ah/

Back to Guardians of the Galaxy talk. It is now the highest grossing movie of the year. I was also just recently made aware that Robert Downey Jr. called it the best Marvel movie.

It's been a while since I've seen X-men movies 1-3, but from what I recall, Magneto & Co. were the real antagonists of movies 1 and 3. The first movie had an anti-mutant politician as Magneto's motivation, but he wasn't really the "bad guy" of the movie - that was Magneto and his plan to turn a bunch of people into mutants. As to movie 3, the ethics of "the cure" aside, the real antagonist was not the company trying to create the cure and wipe out mutants, but again, Magneto trying to destroy the cure. The X-Men actually fought on the side of the government to protect the cure, even while questioning its necessity.

The movies take a pretty ambivalent attitude to Magneto. On the one hand he's depicted as something of a mutant supremest out to conquer the normal untermensch. On the other it's argued continually in the movies that he's well justified in fearing the anti mutant right wing government types. (An obvious and by now labored allusion to homophobia). Maybe it's time they moved on from this theme, because if it wasn't boring to start with it sure as shit is after 5 movies.

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/07/guardians-of-galaxy-officially-wins-weekend-box-office-pacing-ah/

Back to Guardians of the Galaxy talk. It is now the highest grossing movie of the year. I was also just recently made aware that Robert Downey Jr. called it the best Marvel movie.

And well deserved too. I'd definitely put GotG up there with the first Ironman movie and the Avengers. We've had two great superhero movies this year, winter soldier and guardians plus one great sci fi movie, Edge of Tomorrow.

Highest grossing in America maybe, in the world its ranks 8 this year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_film

Yeah, but it hasn't been released in China and Japan yet. Notice that it's the only movie in the top 10 that has half it's gross made in the US.

Yeh it's done well domestically, but dont say its the highest grossing movie of the year, because it's not, there is more countries and people living outside of America friend, if you get my drift. Edit: Aimed at Howdy as well friend.

Notice the uber shitty, epilepsy inducing Transformers has cracked a billion...jeez. Edge of tomorrow not even in the top ten? Depressing.

Yeh I haven't seen a Transformers movie in the cinemas since the first , it's all the same shit. Edge of Tomorrow was awesome, it still made $369 mill which is decent.

I was having dinner with a friend last night and he asked me an interesting question: Who's your favorite actor right now?

A little backstory, Cinema means everything to me. I've spent my adult life planning/maneuvering so that I can get into USC's film program and make movies. I know a lot about them, I love them, and I want to make them.

Most of my friends and co-workers enjoy getting my opinion about new films or actors because I can explain why something was good or bad, beyond the normal moviegoer's "it sucked." I have an amateur understanding of cinematic arts, and a decent eye for acting. Basically, I like film and I'm not an idiot. :rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the question: Who is your favorite actor right now?

As a fan of cinema, my favorite actor/director/movie changes depending on my overall mood or life circumstances, and of course if I see something new that I like.

Normally my answer to that question would be Tom Hardy. I love Tom Hardy, I'd have his babies if I were capable. He's a versatile actor who conveys real depth in every scene I've ever seen him in. And his character Tommy Reirdan in 'Warriors' broke my goddamn heart.

But, I didn't say Tom Hardy. I thought about it, and if the question had been 'Who's your favorite actor', I probably would have said Hardy. But the question was 'Who is your favorite actor RIGHT NOW?'

I said Chris Pratt.

I said Pratt because I absolutely love Guardians of the Galaxy, and Pratt makes the whole film work for me. Peter Quill is a perfectly relatable character, and his responses to the situations in which he finds himself seem real and believable. My favorite example is when

He's trying to get the gang to help him stop Ronan after being picked up by Yondu and they don't want to help. He doesn't storm away in indignant rage, or give a rousing speech. He just shrugs, looks away, and says 'we've got to help'. His desperation and fear and hopelessness is palpable, and I loved it.

What can I say? I'm fucking smitten.

BTW: He also asked me who I think is the best actor right now, and I said probably Leo Dicaprio.

It's got to be a toss up between either Idris Elba or Jason Statham for me. Leo is very good, and Matthew Mcconaughey is getting there. But between those two I'll automatically go 'yay, they're in it' and want to see what they do.

Chris Pratt is another good up and coming choice.

It's got to be a toss up between either Idris Elba or Jason Statham for me. Leo is very good, and Matthew Mcconaughey is getting there. But between those two I'll automatically go 'yay, they're in it' and want to see what they do.

Chris Pratt is another good up and coming choice.

... Jason Statham... of "The Transporter" movies?

He's the star of the expendables. Watching that movie he's definitely the best thing in it..

And if the question had been "what's the best part of an otherwise shitty movie?" then I suppose Jason Statham would have been an acceptable answer. But if the question is "who is your favorite actor?"

Ehhhh....

He's totally compelling for me to watch. He's in completely shit movies most of the time, but he's tremendously awesome even if his movies aren't. I'll easily go out of my way to see a movie he's in despite knowing it will otherwise suck.

I don't see any issue with Statham being someone's favorite actor. I've liked him in everything I've seen in him ( though haven't seen any of the Expendable movies) starting with Turkish in Snatch, Handsome Rob in the Italian Job, Frank in the Transporter movies and even as Burt Reynolds' lost son in a really bad movie.

So to stay on topic, what role could he play in the next Guardian in the Galaxy? Someone with an English accent obviously.

Statham is a better actor than many give him credit for, something you can see especially in Lock, Stock and Snatch. He's done a lot of filler action roles since then, but he's usually watchable. He's definitely due a bigger breakthrough role in a blockbuster, I think. Surely there's someone untapped for the MCU he could play?

Archived