Guardians of the Galaxy thread 2 ... Great movie, or best blockbuster of the decade?

Howdyphillip

You also forgot the actual villain from Thor 2.

Which is fine. He'd be the most forgettable except Ronan exists and at least Space Dark Elf had an interesting backstory.

You also forgot the actual villain from Thor 2.

Which is fine. He'd be the most forgettable except Ronan exists and at least Space Dark Elf had an interesting backstory.

When Mads Mikkelsen dropped out of that part to go do Hannibal, I was dead annoyed at first, because I thought the idea of a Hannibal tv show sounded terrible and this would have been a good opportunity to play to his strengths as a creepy villain.

In hindsight, he made the right call.

When Mads Mikkelsen dropped out of that part to go do Hannibal, I was dead annoyed at first, because I thought the idea of a Hannibal tv show sounded terrible and this would have been a good opportunity to play to his strengths as a creepy villain.

In hindsight, he made the right call.

Hugo Weaving apparently has no interest in returning to play Red Skull again cause he found it boring as shit. Which is a correct assessment.

View from someone who knows nothing at all about the comics.

Guardians is my favourite of the Marvel movies so far; and along with IM1, and IM3 the only ones I've rewatched.

Chances are that I'll rewatch the Avengers if I notice it on TV at some stage (I'll probably end up being in the same room as Thor again at some point, but I doubt I'll be paying it any attention and has far more to do with Hemsworth & Hiddlestone than the movies themselves).

Hulk, Cap and Thor have all had 2 solo movies, of which only Cap2 didn't feel like filler or set-up for something that really didn't need it.

I even watched the first season of the TV show; which left such an impression on me that I can't even remember what it's called. I believe there's a 2nd season, but I'm not bothering now.

If Guardians and Cap 2 are showing the way forwards for Marvel, then I'll probably continue watching them; but if they keep intermingling the plots through different franchises, then I've no interest in sitting through films that don't interest me in order to understand a plot point in a film that otherwise would. Basically I had given up on Marvel before Guardians came out - I only bothered with it at all because I gathered (from these boards) that it was a] a really good film, and b] not cross-linked with anything else at all. It got me to give Marvel another chance, and watch Cap2 and between them, I'll still watch the next 1-2 Marvel films and judge again from there.

Hugo Weaving now needs to appear in the DC 'verse and Star Wars, just to complete his position as 'actor who appears in all the biggest geekbait franchises'. He'd make a great Desaad if WB were ever brave enough to make a film where the focus is on him leading into Darkseid later on, though that will never happen.

I find it funny that a man who's such a technophobe that he doesn't drive or own a watch has played both a computer program and a robot.

Iron Man 3 did and still does leave me fuming.

What with what they did to the Mandarin (though this is now slightly fixed,) the waste of Extremis (and the badguys with no personality and a confusing grabag of fire powers,) Tony Starks ptsd (it's not the shrapnel in his chest but the wormhole that sends him over the edge :dunno: ,) Tony blowing his suits up for no reason, Gwyneth Paltrow being the one to end the fight, the suits now being apparently made out of crepe paper (considering how easily they fall apart,) and that fucking child...

But I can forgive the attempt slightly because it tried something new, which is something this franchise will need if it's going to continue for a while.

See, half the things you listed there are things I love about that movie.

I thought the Mandarin twist was great, Ben Kingsley nailed it and I was genuinely laughing my arse off. The PTSD angle was played pretty well for me though I wish they hadn't completely forgotten about it for the second half of the movie. The fact that Pepper had to actually save Tony at the end was an awesome role reversal. And even the kid was alright. The fact that Tony pretty much subverted all the expected dialogue was what made that part work;

"That's what happens, dads leave, no need to be a pussy about it."

So yeah, I disagree with you about that movie.

I thought the Mandarin twist was great, Ben Kingsley nailed it and I was genuinely laughing my arse off. The PTSD angle was played pretty well for me though I wish they hadn't completely forgotten about it for the second half of the movie. The fact that Pepper had to actually save Tony at the end was an awesome role reversal. And even the kid was alright. The fact that Tony pretty much subverted all the expected dialogue was what made that part work;

Agreed. All that stuff is what makes the movie great. And his PTSD is not forgotten in the second half of the movie. It's basically what the movie is all about.

I thought IM3 was great until the prolonged final battle that I couldn't follow worth a damn. I also found IM2 to be much better the second and third times, at its weekest when setting up for The Avengerd. My wife hates most comic movies but the first two are on our rewatch whenever list.

GotG we both liked with reservations. Love the humor, enjoyed the entire first act. But again the space battle proved hard to follow. And setting up the larger universe does nothing for us, we skip around too much. So the big bad was wasted on us.

I agree that IM3 is one of the best in the franchise, and that most of that was good.

I like the role reversal at the end in theory, but the way it's done doesn't work for me. Tony has just blown up the bad guy in an awesome move, but suddenly it turns out he's not dead yet only for Pepper to blow him up again in much lamer fashion, and somehow this now sticks?

As a whole, I've found Marvel's films to be underwhelming. With the exceptions of Guardians and The Winter Soldier, most have been forgetable. I can forgive them for not overly developing Ronan because it's an origin story with 5 heroes and 3 villains, to give everyone enough time for full back stories would've left very little time to develop the plot. They explained who he was and why, and that's plenty for me.

I hope more of Marvel's future outings keep up the momentum that their 2014 movies added. The first Avengers movie wasn't my cup of tea. It was garnered towards fanboys, pitting the heroes against each other for half the movie so fans can aww over Captain vs. Iron man vs. Thor in short fantasy fueds. I have higher hopes for the sequel since their relationships have been established.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I'll take X Men flicks over most Marvel films(especially First Class and DOFP), but Guardians was the most entertaining of all of them and I has 0 prior knowledge of the source material.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I'll take X Men flicks over most Marvel films(especially First Class and DOFP), but Guardians was the most entertaining of all of them and I has 0 prior knowledge of the source material.

I've loved all the X-Men movies, except Last Stand and the Wolverine's. GotG is the only one I've liked as much. Then again I'm a bit biased, I much prefer the X-Men in general to any of the Marvel Studios characters.

I was watching the most recent Wolverine movie a week or so ago and that's actually a damn solid movie until about the last 20 minutes when it goes bonkers. In a bad way I mean. If only it had gone good bonkers.

I was watching the most recent Wolverine movie a week or so ago and that's actually a damn solid movie until about the last 20 minutes when it goes bonkers. In a bad way I mean. If only it had gone good bonkers.

The first 2/3 were quite good. I really like the actresses that played Mariko and Yukio. But that version of the Silver Samurai was terrible, and the Viper lady was pretty lame too. It was a hell of a lot better than Origins though. Faint praise I know.

Origins could've been a great movie, but went off the rails in the second half, and what they did to Deadpool is unforgivable, but I liked the first half up until when Gambit takes Logan to Alkali Lake. The retcon they did in DOFP makes it easier for me to enjoy X3 now, but it makes Origins even more of a quagmire.

I'm curious how they go about doing Apocalypse because time line wise, it pretty much is along the same time frame as the end of Origins. I hope it includes the First Class team with young Jean, Cyc, and Storm, but leaves out Logan so it fits the history they created, unless Logan is separate from the team with his own storyline. I'd love to see Archangel as well although that would be another total retcon.

Do we have an X-men thread?

They're pretty free to do what they want with the timelines, and given Huge Jacked Man is already confirmed to be in both Apocalypse and Wolverine 3 (which would make it nine films he's been in over sixteen years) the Wolverine-ession isn't over yet. But they've proven they aren't afraid of retcons (which given what they had to work with is a good thing.)

X-men for me always works best as an ensemble. Everytime it gets too bogged down with any one character things seem to go wrong.

They're pretty free to do what they want with the timelines, and given Huge Jacked Man is already confirmed to be in both Apocalypse and Wolverine 3 (which would make it nine films he's been in over sixteen years) the Wolverine-ession isn't over yet. But they've proven they aren't afraid of retcons (which given what they had to work with is a good thing.)

X-men for me always works best as an ensemble. Everytime it gets too bogged down with any one character things seem to go wrong.

The fact that they have added complicated time-travel retcons probably makes the X-Men franchise the most authentic, comic-book-like superhero movies.

I'm the opposite. It's decades since I read the comics but aside from Wolvie and Magneto I always found the rest of the X-Men pretty dull personality-wise (and power-wise). My favourite part of the X movies is still the early portions of X-Men when it's just Wolverine and Rogue. Their exchange in the truck is still one of my favourite moments in any superhero film and it's as far from an action scene as it gets.

"When they come out ... does it hurt?"

"Every time."

Archived