What moment got to you the most?

SnowHeart

What scene/line/character in the series affected you most?

Mine was the red wedding, but not for the usual reasons

I was lucky enough to not have had any details spoiled before I read it the first time, and so it hit me pretty hard. By the time I got to "Grey Wind" and "Ned loves my hair", I was pretty messed up (to book throwing stage). I got all the expected emotions; shock, anger, sadness ect. but then I sat down and though about it and realized something pretty scary.

ASOS came out in 1999, which is before I was born, which meant that literally all my life, people around the world have been reading that same scene, and being made to feel in the same way. I hugely upped my respect for GRRM, that he can create this connection between people and still have the same effect after 15 years, and that really got to me.

So how about you?

(First post! :D )

Welcome to the forum! :commie:

Yes I agree, the year I was born the first book AGoT was published, and people have been indulging in Mr. Martin's brilliant writing since! I think its pretty awesome!

I agree, that conversation Cat had with herself was a bit intense, she lost it, even the Frey's noticed! :leaving:

To answer your question;

Um I think Oberyn Martell's death did it for me :crying: in the show not so much, but in the book! Fucking sunk my heart to my stomach.

I hope you enjoy yourself among us fellow fans :)

Ned being betrayed, and everything after that until his death.

:Idea: what do you mean? Everything after that until his death? Do you me post death? Or before? Because Ned didn't turn into a zombie, he died right after his beheading :p

Maybe I'm missing something, lol I'm sick and grumpy so please forever me, but that is a bit mind boggling

:idea: what do you mean? Everything after that until his death? Do you me post death? Or before? Because Ned didn't turn into a zombie, he died right after his beheading :P

Maybe I'm missing something, lol I'm sick and grumpy so please forever me, but that is a bit mind boggling

Littlefinger's betrayal -> beheading.

The last Jon chapter is ADWD, both his breaking his vows and the attack/possible death totally caught me off gaurd.

I found that the Red Wedding was pretty clearly hinted at for quite a while before it happened and I had pretty much guessed what was coming. Not that It didn't make my head spin when it actually did happen, I still had to stop and go for a walk to calm down halfway through.

It has to be Viserys' death and the circumstances that lead to it. Heck the guy's entire story gets to me. I feel like he's one of the most misunderstood characters, and I'm not just saying that to be a hipster.

I agree. It's so incredibly tragic that he never really got to be King, after all those years of...service to others. It gets worse, when you realize he had been the one who ruled effectively and wisely for so long, while the religious fanatic and the warmonger get all the praise and he's remembered as a failure. Truly tragic.

the RW was a close-the-book and deal job, which for me, never happens.

post cup-of-tea, i never forget the dispair of reading Arya's chapter and having to consider that she too, may be dead.

that was such a desperate low. i had to flick through to find another Arya titled chapter. i'm not even a massive fan of Arya, but it was one of those kick-you-when-you're down jobs at a time when i was already traumatised- like being urinated on by a homeless person after being beaten up. i'm great at keeping secrets from myself and waiting, but in that moment, i was a desperate man flailing for a lifeline.

Weirdly, that numbed me to character empathy for a long time. Joffrey's death brought no joy, Oberyn came and went, Tywin went. Jon went. As i read them all as one, ive been in a state of depression in-universe ever since which fits the general melancholy of AFFC / ADWD. Only Reek's opening chapter really woke me up and creeped me out, and Brienne's face-eat is the most hideous pov line to read in the series. those words burn my eyes.

It has to be Viserys' death and the circumstances that lead to it. Heck the guy's entire story gets to me. I feel like he's one of the most misunderstood characters, and I'm not just saying that to be a hipster.

I often agree with you, but Viserys wasn't misunderstood. He was a total cunt. He deserved what he got. Yes his life was tragic, but so are many people's (especially in ASOIAF) and they would never treat their only family member like he did.

Pink letter, bought it as legit, partly still do. Only cause I care about plus I find Stannis in the North, gunning for the baddies and in general is FAR more narratively interesting than "KHALEESI WILL AVENGE DA STARKS AND BURN DA OTHERS!" or "JON DRAGONSTARK!"There goes any shot of a story resolution that doesnt finish with a predictable Targ resolution. Plus I want the Boltons scared and Stannis is the scariest thing in this series.

I dont find Jon or Dany boring, just to clarify, as their stories havent followed the patterns I mentioned.

Hearing about how Elia died and her children are just no words.

Catelyn begging Ned to make her pain stop and saying how much it hurts and her thinking of her children.

Everything Viserys and just the image of him a little boy who had to suffer because of people making stupid decisions and just the weight he had on his shoulders.

Arya and Sansa's pain about the RW

Many many moments. Ned's death and the RW were shocking but for me the saddest parts were their family's reactions to them (although Cat's despair right at the end was heart-wrenching but I was still more shocked and sickened than anything at that stage).

The one that stands out for me is Arya taking the doll from the girl who follows her round at the inn (Ser Soldier), ripping his head off, taking the stuffing out then handing it back and saying 'now he looks like a real soldier'. That had me in buckets. And Sansa building a snow Winterfell.

Archived