Understanding the Stannis love?

So I guess this is similar to the "Sansa Love" topic. I do not get this seeming obsession with Stannis. I am currently rereading the Series, well listening to it, and just started The Clash of Kings and the introduction of Stannis. I did not really like him from the start, my initial opinion of him was that of a crying baby, whining "he stole my land, I deserve this or that, nobody likes me, wah wah."

There are plenty of character traits of his that I admire, his skill in battle, he is honest and does his duty, but he is to cold, to stern, and he sold his sole to the Red Witch. Now I may grow to change my opinion this time around as his arc progresses, but maybe not.

Personally, I think this love of Stannis comes from the show, the show's Stannis is just different enough to be likable. Maybe because there we do not get the internal whining so he doesn't come like a spoiled baby.

I think a lot of people like Stannis (especially ADWD!Stannis) because we're a bit tired of the Others being a Chekhov's gun that GRRM should fire already, and we're happy to see a leader of Westeros finally doing something about it. I agree with you about the first impression of Stannis. I thought he spent too much time dwelling on past wrongs that had been done to him (real and imagined alike) but as the series progressed, I noticed that he has a certain snarky appeal. A Stannis fan friend of mine also said that a lot of people also sympathise with Stannis when they know what it's like to grow up being overshadowed by a preferred sibling. I have no siblings though, this is just an explanation I've heard, so I'll let others to comment further on this last one.

Stannis may complain a lot but a whining person doesn't display such an outstanding determination like he does. Stannis almost died of starvation in Storm's End and he never received the recognition he deserved. Now A LOT of characters in this series are bitter people who complain about their "undeserved" fate and the slights that were directed at them: Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Theon, Jorah, Victarion, Arianne and all of them have their share of fans. At least Stannis does a shit load of work to compensate his bitterness.

sold his sole

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WJs6C3qbyfs/TkGtGyIkm_I/AAAAAAAAAMk/wn9hpxo2lEc/s1600/Sold+His+Sole+%2528final%2529.jpg

His contradictions always make him interesting to read about. In another fantasy series he could easily be the main hero or the main villain; rightful king, chosen of god, magic sword, saving the world, dutiful and responsible, but also the jealous uncle/brother, brooding in a volcano fortress, obsessed with punishing his enemies. He inspires very little love from the masses unlike the more popular Renly and Robert, but those closest to him become suicidally loyal (literally, in the case of Cressen). He hates and swears off the gods for not doing their duty by the world, holding them responsible for events like the drowning of his parents, but is the king working most closely and arguably fighting for a god. He thinks of Robert as irresponsible, corrupt and ungrateful, but perpetually looks up to him and considers him a more suitable hero for R’hllor than himself. He’s got a Rorschach-like approach to morality, yet ends up making an Ozymandias-like decision when dealing with Edric and whether or not the murder of one justifies the saving of millions. He’s spent most of the series fighting for a throne based on his right to it, but seems to despise most of his fellow nobles and constantly degrades their worth, taking most of his counsel from those who aren’t of that class, or at least weren’t born into it. He fanatically adheres to the law and an extreme form of personal responsibility, but this tends to make him unlikeable within the text and often outside of it. Hates criminals, but his closest adviser is a former one.

Why do people love him?

- Cares about duty, responsibility and justice in a world where most people don’t.

- Thinks that being king will kill him, but does it anyway.

- Looks past Davos’ low birth and recognizes his quality. Generally good at judging people’s worth.

- One of the few people to recognize the main threat and work towards solving it.

- He’s very blunt, which can be very funny.

- Lots of witty insults, also funny.

- Perpetual underdog.

- Spent most of the series fighting unlikeable people.

- Has a long list of legitimate grievances with the world.

- He’s played by Stephen Dillane.

- Double entendre magnet:

"Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all."

"I am your man, Your Grace. So it is your tongue, to do with as you please."

“I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.”

I have been reading and rereading since aSoS was the most current book and the idea that Stannis is popular took me by complete surprise when I joined this forum. I still don't get it. When I talk with friends about the books I often mention the loyal Stannis fans here and the response is always "Really?!". To me he is a self-entitled whiner who justifies questionable decisions and alliances who is literally in bed with the devil. But I do enjoy his grim sense of humour.

Stannis played an incredibly important role in Robert's Rebellion, but never received due recognition for his acomplishments and was always trapped by Robert's shadow. While Mace Tyrell feasted in front of Storm's End when it was under siege by his forces for a year, Stannis and his men were forced to live on rats and glue, yet Stannis never yielded, and had to endure Ned Stark and Robert receiving all the credit after. Despite the fact that he never seemed to receive credit for anything he did, he was a dutiful brother and servant to the realm, and was loyal to Robert until his dying day. Sure he complained about how he didn't receive credit for anything, yet he still did his duty and did it very competently. Stannis and Jon Arryn basically held together Robert's kingdom for nearly two decades while Robert ate, drank, and slept around, and they were the only ones perceptive enough to figure out about the Lannister incest. Stannis is the lawful King of Westeros and he gave his rivals fair opportunities to switch sides and support him. An example of this is when he gave Renly extremely fair terms in exchange for Renly giving up his pursuit of the throne, but Renly unwisely decided to pursue his poor claim because of his arrogace. Unlike the other self-proclaimed kings, who are only interested in defending their claim to rule the realm, Stannis decided that a true king must defend his realm, which is why he went to the Wall. Not only is Stannis fighting for Robert's memory, but he is also fighting for Ned's by his actions, which is why the Northerners are starting to flock to his side.

I believe that any Stark sympathizer should support Stannis, as he wishes to restore the Starks to their former power in Winterfell and is fighting those who have done harm to the Starks. He is truly just, honest, brave, competent, and actually cares about the realm. I think if/when he dies, he is going to die a hero in an epic fashion.

"Few of the birds Maester Aemon had returned as of yet. One found Stannis, though. One found Dragonstone, and a king who still cared."

Much as people want to deny it and make up a right load of shit to justify that denial, he went to the Wall because he realised where the true threat is, this is confirmed by GRRM. I tend to think that even if you didn't like him before, this is something that deserves a level of appreciation. Now, people would like to say that it was the only option available to him and he did it for selfish reasons, because when you want to win a war you go straight for the region thats just been spanked, has hostages and debts to the winners and is about to suffer a winter, thats exactly where you go. Dead on.

Much as people want to deny it and make up a right load of shit to justify that denial, he went to the Wall because he realised where the true threat is, this is confirmed by GRRM. I tend to think that even if you didn't like him before, this is something that deserves a level of appreciation. Now, people would like to say that it was the only option available to him and he did it for selfish reasons, because when you want to win a war you go straight for the region thats just been spanked, has hostages and debts to the winners and is about to suffer a winter, thats exactly where you go. Dead on.

And figth the Wildlings who outnumber him 20 to 1, and would most likely weaken or destroy Stannis' enemies the Boltons after taking the Wall.

I am not a huge Stannis fan, but my impression of him has changed quite a bit along the way. I think his being uncompromising is accurate in some ways but not in others. For instance, I don't think he will ever compromise about being king. His older brother was king, and believing him to have no legitimate children, Stannis believes he is Robert's true heir, and that it is his obligation to rule. But I think some of the later books have shown that he is willing to listen to and weigh the advice of others (so long as that advice isn't, for instance, to compromise in regard to his being king).

He could go in many directions, so he's unpredictable. His motivations are difficult to stereotype. His loyalties are divided--Mel, or Davos, or himself? It's difficult to predict how he'll end up. In his way, he's as complex as Theon or Jaime.

He's one of my favorite characters, and it's not a manly thing at all.

- Looks past Davos’ low birth and recognizes his quality. Generally good at judging people’s worth.

- Lots of witty insults, also funny.

- Perpetual underdog.

“I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.”

Stannis is a manly man... and... people needs... erm... reaffirmation of their... mmmm... masculinity? :dunno:

Basically this. When his fans feel the need to attach "the Mannis" to his name, I can think of no other reason besides trying to make him into a bad 80's movie action hero.

Archived