Can we come up with a better name than "Planetos"?

Eddwyn Lannistark

"Planetos" grew on me. I totally get how some people struggle with the scientific foundation of the whole planet-concept - it's not exactly matching the medieval setting. But to me it adds an extra layer of realism somehow. Like this is not some abstract, isolated fantasy world we're talking about - it's a fucking planet just like ours with actual people just like us.

But yeah, initially I thought the name "Westeros" was mindblowingly lame...

Look, these brainstorms are great, but you might be disappointed by the result. The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and the known would of GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire will continue to be called "Planetos" by the majority of the fandom.

"Planetos" grew on me. I totally get how some people struggle with the scientific foundation of the whole planet-concept - it's not exactly matching the medieval setting. But to me it adds an extra layer of realism somehow. Like this is not some abstract, isolated fantasy world we're talking about - it's a fucking planet just like ours with actual people just like us.

But yeah, initially I thought the name "Westeros" was mindblowingly lame...

'Planet' is from and an ancient Greek word meaning "wanderer" (aster planetes - 'wandering star'), so not so modern...

Maesters do have lose astronomy capabilities. I'm surprised they haven't come up with a name for their own planet to be honest. By the Middle Ages, Earth was firmly rooted as the name of our planet in Western civilization.

Throughout the books the characters just refer to it as the 'earth', with the same range of meanings as we do. :)

1. Gallifrey

2. 1. Do they have in the books a conception of living on a planet? Alas, there was the conception of planets in real life medieval times? Honest question.

2. There is a continent in theses books actually called Sothoryos? :shocked: Dear Lord, there is a continent called Sothoryos. What's next now, the Other's true objective is to have their continent Northoryos recognized by humanity?? Jesus, what a silly name. I love it.

Planetos is awesome.

1. Gallifrey

2. 1. Do they have in the books a conception of living on a planet? Alas, there was the conception of planets in real life medieval times? Honest question.

2. There is a continent in theses books actually called Sothoryos? :shocked: Dear Lord, there is a continent called Sothoryos. What's next now, the Other's true objective is to have their continent Northoryos recognized by humanity?? Jesus, what a silly name. I love it.

Don't forget about Ulthos...the mysterious land at the very limit of knowledge. South of Asshai.

:lmao:

(ok,let's call it beardos, and call it even)

Eros is perfect. Start a thread to call the banners. We have found... the perfect name!

It is kind of already taken... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eros

Essentially, Eros is the Greek version of the Latin minor god Cupid. Yes, he has wings and arrows that cause love and lust, though he is usaully depicted as older than the baby we see in paintings of Cupid.

I'm not saying its a bad name, its just those with a fondness of Greek mythology are going to find the name strange.

Archived